There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2007, 10:30 PM
CSS Oldtimer

knihc2008 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to knihc2008
Default JC Volant II Concept

March 3, 2007 JC unveils a surprise concept at the Geneva International Auto Show.

Bringing a dream closer to reality.

Today, JC unveiled a surprise concept vehicle at their press release at Geneva. The Volant II Concept is a more production ready variant of the original Volant Concept shown at the Tokyo Auto Show two years ago. The original Volant did not have any production plans; it was a one-off vehicle that embodied the extreme handling and sporting intentions JC was capable of.

Due to high consumer interest, the Volant II was designed with production intentions. It is a clear evolution of the original Volant, while staying more true to current JC design language. It borrows design traits from both the Volant and SpeedCell concepts shown previously, to create one sleek and sporty roadster.

Striking design.
Bold wheel arches and smooth surfaces arrest the eye. Like the original Volant, the II is anchored by four massive wheel arches. The rest of the body work is sinewy-taut, stretched over the arches in tense, athletic ways. The hood is a key example; no sharp lines, just a fluid yet tense shaping of surface to get the message across. This "surface tension" is carried along the long uninterrupted beltline, and the swell of the lower body work. Large intakes up front and cat-like headlamps are bold and aggressive in a rear-view mirror, and show a triangular theme that is echoed in the side vents and the rear exhaust and lamps. The lamps themselves carry a "wave" theme, with overlapping metal details.

Inside, the interior coddles, with supportive yet supple "shell" seats (blue, like the original Volant) and a wraparound dash that takes the JC interior design theme one step further.

World-class performance
When the Volant is realized in production form, it will occupy a niche that is for now vacant. Reflecting usual JC performance and luxury for a value price, the Volant production vehicle will set new industry standards.

The Volant II Concept, meanwhile, is powered by the Vurig R's 2.0L turbocharged I-4, producing 330 horsepower in this application. This engine is light and can be mounted in an extreme front-mounted mid-engine arrangement, allowing for both an extremely low weight and excellent distribution of that weight. The power is fed through a modified version of JC's world-renowned all-wheel drive system; in the Volant, it eschews several of the Vurig and Voltaire's electronic systems, replacing it with a very simple rear-biased drive system, allowing the Volant to be a light, hardcore and simple roadster.

The Volant II Concept is not only a glimpse into a future roadster from JC, but also the direction of JC design and philosophy.

Sorry this is late guys. It's been an incredibly busy week. I hope you guys enjoy, and any criticisms are more than appreciated.

And, for reference's sake, the original Volant Concept:
http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=17033

And the SpeedCell Concept:
http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=18290

Modified by knihc2008 at 8:12 AM 3/12/2007

JC
Old 03-12-2007, 02:22 PM
CSS Oldtimer

2o6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: JC Volant II Concept (knihc2008)

I like this a lot, I employs Style and Speed.

Is it more of a club racer? (a la Miata, Solstice/Sky)

Or an Exotic Coupe? (SLK)

If it's a club racer, maybe a low-power (150-200HP) could be offered for those looking for an alternitive to the Miata, Solstice/SKY.
________
BOX VAPORIZER

Last edited by 2o6; 04-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:15 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: JC Volant II Concept (Peugeot_206)

Quote, originally posted by Peugeot_206 »
I like this a lot, I employs Style and Speed.

Is it more of a club racer? (a la Miata, Solstice/Sky)

Or an Exotic Coupe? (SLK)

If it's a club racer, maybe a low-power (150-200HP) could be offered for those looking for an alternitive to the Miata, Solstice/SKY.

Thanks for the compliments, Peugeot. It is neither club racer or exotic coupe. As is the case with all JC vehicles thus far, the Volant, as I said in the press release, will fill a niche that is currently largely overlooked. The fact that you had to relegate this vehicle to either Miata/Solstice class or SLK/Z4 class should be hint enough

JC
Old 03-12-2007, 03:46 PM
CSS Oldtimer

2o6 is on a distinguished road

I love the JC marque.

I'm Using your volitare (loosely) to make a Concept..........
________
VAPORIZER REVIEWS

Last edited by 2o6; 04-06-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:40 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Anyone else? :/ Tough crowd these days!

JC
Old 03-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Design Studio Moderator

AXIS is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AXIS
Default Re: (knihc2008)

The design is pretty flawless, its a good evolution of both concepts the arches are a bit much
but I'm sure they will be toned down for production. Any chance of an interior view?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:34 AM
CSS Veteran

VexedandGlorious is on a distinguished road

Quote, originally posted by knihc2008 »
Anyone else? :/ Tough crowd these days!

you arent lying about that...i waited to comment before but never got around to it.
i like it,i really like the side profile. id love to see the interior.
my only issue is the front elipse should be larger than the rear elipse(in the front view)
good job
Old 03-15-2007, 10:33 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Thanks for the comments guys! Any comments are useful comments now that they seem to be slim' pickings.

Axis: The arches are a key part of JC design as seen with both the Volant I and the Speedcell. Of course, they will be toned down a little for production, but not by much. I am glad you brought this up though; I didn't think they were too bad to begin with. I will try toning them down more in the future. The interior of this car was finished with the exterior design but I haven't had time with finals and all for a final rendering. Interestingly, the interior doesn't reflect the final Volant interior, but rather a future JC vehicle.

Graffititech: I like the side profile the best too! I think my fast and dirty drawings come out a lot cooler looking than the more detailed ones for some reason. Thanks for pointing out the elipses though I'm not entirely sure what you mean; the wheels? I do agree the front one is a bit too small perspectively.

Thanks again for the comments!!!

JC
Old 03-15-2007, 10:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road

looks good, i like how you're evolving the JC design language. there are tons of brilliant details on this car that really make it stand out, like the peephole at the base of the windshield, the head/tailllight detail, the flowing fender vent and those awesome rocker panels; the way one crease flows over and one goes into the layered rocker panels is, btw, brilliant. the only place where i can find nits to pick are some perspective glitches; the front 3/4 seems a bit off because the wheels, i think, are too narrow for that angle. also, the front end has a somewhat strong resemblance to the saturn sky's, though i assume that was unintentional.

overall, great job once again, i look forward to the final car

on a slightly related note, i've been toying around with the idea for a mid-engined roadster for montgomery (and probably one on the same platform for avioli); this car has inspired me to get to work on it...

Old 03-15-2007, 11:38 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Thanks SV! I'm glad you liked the detail; the rocker panels are, unfortunately, probably the least production-ready part of the car. It's the part I love the most but the resulting doorsill is simply too high. I've been toying with a bunch of designs that will allow me to keep this design feature to no avail thus far :/

I can see the Saturn Sky resemblance, especially the intakes. Thankfully, those are not intended for production either; the production model front end is sleeker and, well, different :)

I agree that the front 3/4 view has something off about it, as someone else pointed out. I do think it's the front wheels throwing it off a lot. I'll try to fix that with the production sketch.

Thanks again for the comments!!

JC