Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2007, 04:10 AM

Default 20 Engine Failures in Tundra; Toyota Looking at Recall

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb.../1148

Amazing that something like this could happen during such a critical product launch. Toyota's exec's haven't been kidding when they have publicly stated their concern that their quality has slipped as they have quickly grown.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Re: 20 Engine Failures in Tundra; Toyota Looking at Recall (62Lincoln)

Quote, originally posted by 62Lincoln »
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb.../1148

Amazing that something like this could happen during such a critical product launch. Toyota's exec's haven't been kidding when they have publicly stated their concern that their quality has slipped as they have quickly grown.

I'm actually not surprised. It's a new model for one; secondly it has affected only twenty owners so far. OK, I'd be pretty irritated too if my new Tundra had an engine failure, but to me anyways it's nothing shocking.

Toyota is no miracle company, so I don't see why a recall from Toyota is so much worse than recalls of a similar magnitude from another company.

New email address! VT8919@gmail.com. Old one still works, but I use my Playstation 3 much more for internet.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:52 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: 20 Engine Failures in Tundra; Toyota Looking at Recall (Excellerator)

Quote, originally posted by Excellerator »

I'm actually not surprised. It's a new model for one; secondly it has affected only twenty owners so far. OK, I'd be pretty irritated too if my new Tundra had an engine failure, but to me anyways it's nothing shocking.

Toyota is no miracle company, so I don't see why a recall from Toyota is so much worse than recalls of a similar magnitude from another company.

Engine failures....

Are you kidding me, the Media makes GM and Ford look terrible, and Toyota gets away with everything.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: 20 Engine Failures in Tundra; Toyota Looking at Recall (FRDesign)

Please do not try to play that whole "media" angle. Ford and GM have done it to themselves. They have put out products that have been lacking in quality since the 70's. (Yes, not all have stunk. And yes, some have been quite nice with only some minor nuisances, but they've had their share of crap.) Yes, they are FINALLY starting to turn it around, and it is being reported as such. However, when GM and Ford claim they are really sweating over quality and then have ticky-tack recalls on simple systems (airbag modules, cruise controls) that they have been building for years, of course they are going to catch flak for it. And three years of incremental improvements in initial quality still does not equal long term dependability. It's a positive step, but due time.

But note that the media has been covering this story and been following it with updates as they have become available. They hyped up the Honda transmission problems. They kept covering how Honda was simply extending the warranties an extra 2 years/15,000 miles rather than issuing a recall and fixing the problem. Yes, they did not cover the Camry sludging issue very well back in the late 90's and likely would have blown it up had it been a Chevrolet. But it is now the late 00's. The times have changed and the coverage is much more fair. Especially with the exponential growth of the internet and the automotive community on it since the beginning of the decade.