CarSpyShots
Quick Member Login:
Forgot password?
Forum Statistics:
Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:


There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-20-2011, 05:15 PM
DoMiNo's Avatar
DoMiNo DoMiNo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Five-Oh-Five.
Posts: 11,509
Default 2012 Quimera Velero (Gen. II)

Well, it's been a while...this has been in the works for months now; I've just been too busy to spend more than a few minutes at a time on the render. Add to that the fact that halfway through my first render I decided to scrap the design entirely and start from scratch, and it's been a painfully slow process indeed. But I'm glad that I re-designed it and I'm pretty happy with the result, the quality of the render notwithstanding (I'm a little rusty...). Originally intended to debut at L.A., then pushed to NAIAS, ultimately I had to "settle" for Geneva.





Historically a high-profile showcase for Europe’s elite automakers, the Continental sophistication of the Geneva Auto Salon will this year give way to brash, muscular Americana in the form of the new Quimera Velero, the second generation of one of the firm’s seminal and most widely-acclaimed models. Draped in seductive new sheetmetal and bedecked with an array of performance-enhancing features, the second-generation Velero stands as a glowing testament to the automaker’s meteoric rise, and a shot across the bow of the old line European marques unaccustomed to competitors from across the Pond.

Quimera’s designers knew they walked a fine line in redesigning one of the company’s most successful models, and the team struggled to maintain its predecessor’s inimitable aggression while imbuing the new Velero with wider market appeal. The result of this compromise is a sedan somewhat more conventional in shape, but every bit as dramatic and muscular as its forebear. Sinewy sculpted flanks and a sleek, coupe-like roof profile flow into a sinister new face, dominated by LED headlamps designed to evoke the wind-filled sails of a sailboat, the car’s namesake. Gone are the low-mounted trapezoidal grille and dramatically dipping hood of the original car, replaced by a more prominent, higher-mounted nose which houses the new car’s taller engine (also intended to meet stringent EU pedestrian crash standards at much lower cost than the intricate spring-loaded “cushioning” active impact system on the previous Velero). Functional extraction vents atop the hood visually distinguish V8 models (and are available in a variety of finishes). Further aft, the new Velero retains the outgoing car’s trademark clamshell doors and racy glass profile. The result of these stylistic changes is a car that comes across as more sophisticated and mature than the original, without having sacrificed any of its brutal American appeal.

Similarly dramatic changes are in store under the skin. The silky 3.6 liter VVT V6 that bowed in the previous Velero (and now serves a variety of applications across the Quimera lineup) has been bored to 3.8 liters, and has undergone a variety of high-tech changes—including the addition of direct injection—to boost horsepower to a class-leading 340 (250kW). Peak torque of 300 lb-ft (407Nm) is available at lower revs and across a wider swath of the power band than in the previous car. The venerable 5.0L V8 remains an option, producing a prodigious 480 peak horsepower (347 Kw) and 455 lb-ft (616Nm) of torque thanks to the similar addition of direct injection technology. Both V6 and V8 models will come equipped with Quimera’s new eight-speed automatic transmission, yielding increases in acceleration and economy. A six-speed manual transmission will remain a special order option. Despite the increases in power, the aforementioned technological changes and new transmissions are expected to yield an estimated 10-15% increase in real world fuel economy.

While the petrol V6 and V8 will be the sole powertrain options available at launch, Quimera has made clear that it intends to expand the range. Both a diesel model (powered by the company’s 3.6L twin-turbo diesel) and an entry-level four-cylinder petrol model (presumably equipped with the Abante’s 2.4L mill) will follow, and are expected to make up a substantial portion of sales in European markets. It goes without saying, of course, that an ultra high-performance Super model is also forthcoming, and company officials have indicated that a Qh Hybrid model would be a logical addition as well. The abundance of powertrain options ensures that the new Velero will appeal to a wider global audience.

Inside, occupants ensconced in the new Velero’s four heated and ventilated sport seats (a rear bench and fifth belt is optional) will experience a class-leading level of luxury. Exquisite finishes abound, while the innovative QIMMS® system consolidates all performance, multimedia, navigation, and climate control functions into one supremely intuitive interface. Astonishingly, the single aspect of the Velero that will remain untouched is its price. Increased production efficiencies, realized through the extensive sharing of components across Quimera’s range (much of which did not exist when the first Velero debuted) has allowed the company to slash its per-unit costs and maintain the Velero’s competitive pricing. The introduction of the original Velero in 2007 marked an important milestone in Quimera’s transition from niche player to mainline manufacturer, and the new Velero seems poised to make even greater strides, both at home and in fiercely competitive markets abroad.

Velero V8 shown in Azul Baleárico


Velero V8 shown in Rojo Flamenco


Velero V8 shown in Marrón Navarro with Copper Appearance Package


Velero V8 shown in Tormenta with Stealth Appearance Package

__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 PM
SV's Avatar
SV SV is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,003
Default

Wow, Domino, that's amazing. It's definitely different from Quimeras we've seen before, but I love it. The headlights are wonderfully edgy and well integrated into the rest of the design, and are probably my favorite feature. I also love the way the hood's character lines sort of spear into the upper grille.

The wheels are fantastic as usual and the render is impeccable as usual. Your reflections seem a bit more intricate than usual, which is a nice touch; it's something I've been thinking of doing in my own renders.

Quote:
Originally intended to debut at L.A., then pushed to NAIAS, ultimately I had to "settle" for Geneva.
Ugh, I do that all the time. The Horizon's been almost done for a while now, it should actually really legitimately be done this week, so I'm going to say it's a late Chicago debut instead of Detroit. I've got some Geneva debuts lined up, but I doubt I'll be able to finish all of them; the Aviolis are taking priority though as I've been promising to show those for a while...they're all going to be pencil sketches though, photoshop renders just take too damn long!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 PM
DoMiNo's Avatar
DoMiNo DoMiNo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Five-Oh-Five.
Posts: 11,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
Wow, Domino, that's amazing. It's definitely different from Quimeras we've seen before, but I love it. The headlights are wonderfully edgy and well integrated into the rest of the design, and are probably my favorite feature. I also love the way the hood's character lines sort of spear into the upper grille.
Thanks, SV! I appreciate the feedback! You wouldn't believe what a chore it was to get the headlights right; I'm still not 100% satisfied with them, to be honest (but as I'm sure you know, at some point you just have to stop fooling with it, haha). I knew from the onset that I wanted to mimic the "sail" shape, but it took a while to get the shape right. My indecisiveness will be obvious when I reveal the Super model, which has an almost entirely different face.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
The wheels are fantastic as usual and the render is impeccable as usual. Your reflections seem a bit more intricate than usual, which is a nice touch; it's something I've been thinking of doing in my own renders.
I did try to make them a little more intricate; I wasn't sure whether it would work out or not. I'm glad you like it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
Ugh, I do that all the time. The Horizon's been almost done for a while now, it should actually really legitimately be done this week, so I'm going to say it's a late Chicago debut instead of Detroit. I've got some Geneva debuts lined up, but I doubt I'll be able to finish all of them; the Aviolis are taking priority though as I've been promising to show those for a while...they're all going to be pencil sketches though, photoshop renders just take too damn long!
So it goes. I have a list of future models that I've not had the time to draw; I will probably never get to all of them, haha. I'm really hoping to move a little quicker on the Super Velero, though, which so far I think is one of my favorite designs. I can't wait to finally see what you have in store for Avioli...it does seem like a really long time since we've heard from them! See you at Geneva! Thanks again for the comments.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 AM
SV's Avatar
SV SV is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
So it goes. I have a list of future models that I've not had the time to draw; I will probably never get to all of them, haha. I'm really hoping to move a little quicker on the Super Velero, though, which so far I think is one of my favorite designs. I can't wait to finally see what you have in store for Avioli...it does seem like a really long time since we've heard from them! See you at Geneva! Thanks again for the comments.
It's been about, uh, 4 years or so since I did anything for Avioli Both designs are mostly done, I just need to do final sketches (which is when I work out the finishing touches anyway). There's also one Montgomery and one Shannon scheduled, but again, I'll push those back if I have to (and I may have to).

Can't wait to see the Super Valero; I've yet to see a Quimera I don't love and I doubt the Super will be any different
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 AM
NelsonDesign's Avatar
NelsonDesign NelsonDesign is offline
Car Designer hopeful
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portland, Oregon,United States
Posts: 509
Default

Nice looking machine Dom, great job!
__________________
NelsonDesign- 17 years old and car designer hopeful
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://nelsondesign.deviantart.com/ Please visit
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 AM
AXIS's Avatar
AXIS AXIS is offline
Design Studio Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: nYc
Posts: 911
Send a message via AIM to AXIS
Default

Absolutely Gorgeous!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 AM
DoMiNo's Avatar
DoMiNo DoMiNo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Five-Oh-Five.
Posts: 11,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
It's been about, uh, 4 years or so since I did anything for Avioli Both designs are mostly done, I just need to do final sketches (which is when I work out the finishing touches anyway). There's also one Montgomery and one Shannon scheduled, but again, I'll push those back if I have to (and I may have to).

Can't wait to see the Super Valero; I've yet to see a Quimera I don't love and I doubt the Super will be any different
Well I won't hold my breath for all four debuts, then, though I do hope you have the time to finish them all! Maybe the Geneva thread will see a bit more action this year Again, I'm particularly excited to see what you've done with Avioli. Is it a refresh of the Marin and a swoopy flagship sedan, as previously planned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonDesign View Post
Nice looking machine Dom, great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXIS View Post
Absolutely Gorgeous!
Thank you both!!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 AM
TheSwageLine's Avatar
TheSwageLine TheSwageLine is offline
TheSwageLine
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 831
Default

Beautiful. I love it.

The face is aggressive and brilliantly thought out. All the main features (lights, grills...) are joined up somehow by different creases and shutlines, so nothing looks 'lost'.

Some of the old car's swoopiness is gone, being replaced by strong heavily sculpted flanks. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I think it loses the '4-door coupe' look that the old car had.


One thing I noticed was the change in design of the 'Q' logo at the front of the car. While it's nice to see change every now and then, I can't help thinking of an upside-down 'on/off' button every time I see it.



Maybe that's just me though...



As for the Geneva show next month, I have 2 designs completed. One for Impetus and one for Zeus.
__________________
theswageline.com

Last edited by TheSwageLine; 02-21-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-2011, 03:56 PM
2o6 2o6 is offline
CSS Oldtimer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,635
Default

I love the details, but I can't warm up to the face.....it seems a bit off.



I do love the use of glass in the greenhouse, too many manufacturers are losing that feeling. I love the side surfacing; the straight lines are so different from the flow of the old Quimeras.
__________________
Eh.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 PM
DoMiNo's Avatar
DoMiNo DoMiNo is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Five-Oh-Five.
Posts: 11,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACcartoons View Post
Beautiful. I love it.

The face is aggressive and brilliantly thought out. All the main features (lights, grills...) are joined up somehow by different creases and shutlines, so nothing looks 'lost'.

Some of the old car's swoopiness is gone, being replaced by strong heavily sculpted flanks. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I think it loses the '4-door coupe' look that the old car had.
Thanks AC I'm glad it comes across as cohesive. True, the swoopy shape has been toned down somewhat; I did intend to preserve (more or less) the sweeping arc of the roof line, but it's undeniable that the new Velero takes a slightly more conventional tack than the first car. For better or worse, a byproduct of the attempt to broaden its appeal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ACcartoons View Post
One thing I noticed was the change in design of the 'Q' logo at the front of the car. While it's nice to see change every now and then, I can't help thinking of an upside-down 'on/off' button every time I see it...Maybe that's just me though...
Haha, it's not just you; I see it too. I think my simplistic logo needs an update, and I just wasn't sure how to approach that. I thought I'd try something symmetrical; in the end, it's one element I'm not fully satisfied with it. Call it an identity crisis Don't be surprised if you see the emblem continuing to evolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACcartoons View Post
As for the Geneva show next month, I have 2 designs completed. One for Impetus and one for Zeus.
Terrific! Can't wait to see them; this is shaping up to be a great Geneva for CSS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
I love the details, but I can't warm up to the face.....it seems a bit off.


I do love the use of glass in the greenhouse, too many manufacturers are losing that feeling. I love the side surfacing; the straight lines are so different from the flow of the old Quimeras.
Thanks for your comments, 2o6! Agreed, it is something of a departure. How about you; is Aviva going to be at Geneva this year?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:33 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Black Falcon Media Group Oy