Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2010, 08:48 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2011 Shannon Type 6

Quote:
P66 Type 6 executive range repeats predecessor's success with high technology, sleek design and serene refinement

COLOGNE, GERMANY - Shannon AG today released details of its newType 6 executive range (development code P66), which takes its predecessor's quality of design and finish to a new level, while adding more technical sophistry than ever.

Stylish, dynamic styling

The design of the P66 Type 6 maintains clear ties with its predecessor, the P65 Series 6, but adds an additional layer of sophistication and dynamism.

A sculpted character line starts at the sleek, segment-exclusive LED headlamps and flows back to the taillamps, uniting both ends of the car. The midsection's sculpted surfacing recalls tensed muscles and reflects the Type 6's power and handling alacrity.

Motive power and supreme efficiency achieved with new range of engines

The Type 6 has an engine range unmatched in its refinement, power and economy. Most of the Type 6's engines are new; all feature Shannon's now typical suite of direct injection, turbocharging, and VVT on both the intake and exhaust cams.

The lineup is as follows:

616T: 1595cc, 186bhp/180lb-ft turbocharged inline four
620T: 1995cc, 250bhp/259lb-ft turbocharged inline four
630T: 2995cc, 300bhp/310lb-ft turbocharged inline six
630ZT: 2995cc, 330bhp/334lb-ft ZweiTurbo inline six
640ZT: 4025cc, 413bhp/422lb-ft ZweiTurbo V8
618Td: 1830cc, 145bhp/225lb-ft turbodiesel inline four
620Td: 2025cc, 173bhp/263lb-ft turbodiesel inline four
620ZTd: 2025cc, 210bhp/299lb-ft ZweiTurbo diesel inline four
630ZTd: 3020cc, 290bhp/436lb-ft ZweiTurbo diesel inline six

All engines in the Type 6 range come standard with a new 8-speed Duonic gearbox, though a 6-speed manual is a no-cost option. Standard stop-start and regenerative braking across the line provide enhanced efficiency.

A cosseting cabin for a thrilling drive

Inside, the Type 6 lives up to Shannon's reputation for precision fit and sumptuous materials finish; leather-wrapped surfaces, slickly damped controls and a cosseting, driver-oriented dashboard all make the P66 a wonderful place to spend time.

The Type 6 features the latest version of Shannon's CIS (Control Interface System), with a streamlined menu navigation program and exclusive touch-capacitive controls; with these new features, the Type 6 combines luxury and technology like no other executive car.

Of course, all of these features would be for naught if the Type 6 were a bore to drive. Thankfully, with precise electro-hydraulic steering and authoritative suspension control, the 6 is as fun to throw into corners as it is relaxing to waft down a motorway.

This sterling dynamic attitude is all thanks to Shannon's lauded ML1 chassis architecture, which in its initial form also underpinned the Type 6's P65 predecessor. Refinements, like a new double-wishbone front suspension and retuned multilink rear axle, available active dampers and anti-roll bars, as well as a 20 percent improvement in torsional rigidity, ensure the 6 is more refined and enjoyable to drive than ever.

In the unlikely event the Type 6's dynamic prowess isn't enough, 9 airbags, stability control, and Active Accident Avoidance (AAA) ensure occupant safety.

A new executive leader, for the price of a follower

While the new P66 Type 6 looks to be world-class in every way, it falls behind in one place where it should: price. Model for model, expect the new Type 6 to undercut its main rivals when it reaches dealers in key markets this December.

630ZT Ambience shown in Blue Danube Metallic

630ZT Ambience shown in Chestnut

630ZT Ambience shown in Black Onyx Metallic

Well, it's more than a month late and while I can blame my relatively hectic schedule the main reason for the lateness is really just my laziness. At any rate, here it is, and I'm happy with the result. I hope to have one or two debuts for LA over the next few weeks, but they'll just be pencil sketches like I used to do; more photoshops would take way too long and I've got 4 more exams to look forward to before Thanksgiving

Last edited by SV; 12-09-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM
TheSwageLine

I see bits of BMW, bits of Mercedes, and bits of Jaaag in the design. But it all comes together rather nicely.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:11 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Thanks. There's definitely a bit of all three in the design, though I didn't intend it. The headlamps recall the new Jag XJ, but the actual intention was to pay homage to my earliest sketches of the Series 6 back in 2003. That car originally had very sleek headlamps like this (and the XJ) but my final sketches were much less radical, and this time I wanted to finally live up to that original vision. Unfortunately it looks like Jaguar already had the same ideas

The grille I think is what causes the Mercedes resemblance, but it's really just the same Shannon corporate grille I've been using for nearly 3 years; in previous designs it didn't look quite as Merc-esque, IMO. Maybe it's time for a new one.

I think the character line and door handles are what recall BMW, specifically the new 5 and 7, but the doorhandles being so similar was more an issue of expedience than laziness. Because of the way the side sculpting works I couldn't find a way to do the door handles differently other than some sort of hidden look, like an Aston or Alfa, and I didn't think that suited the character of this car.

I'm very pleased with the side surfacing, however; I'm not sure if it's entirely clear in the rendering but the way the surface bulges out a bit in the midsection and tenses up right behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheel worked out nicely, I think. I spent a while figuring that out!

Last edited by SV; 11-17-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:44 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I enjoy the headlights, but I'm not too keen on the grille. It's too pig-nosed, althought I certainly can't talk; most of my cars are pig nosed!

I love the side surfacing, but I'm thrown for a ride by the reletively uninteresting roofline and comparatively short doors. It seems like that a longer wheelbase with longer doors would make this car look awesome.

I like it.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:39 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Thanks for the feedback 2o6. I don't think there's really anything that could be done about the roofline; there's only so many ways you can execute it and going the quirky route just isn't the direction I want Shannon to take. As for the doors - I think the driver's door is appropriately sized but the rear door may be a tad short, though overall considering this car's size (slightly smaller than the 5er, about the same size as the E-Class) I think they're accurate.

Though now that you mention a wheelbase stretch, a LWB Type 6 would be a good idea for the Chinese market ;)
Old 11-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Administrator

First off, SV - sorry for the delay! I saw this when you posted it but for whatever reason forgot to revisit the thread to comment. As an aside, making the Type 6 a retroactive Paris debut means there are officially zero CSS debuts in L.A. this year; very sad considering how bustling this place used to be.

But what a debut this is! A stunning, coupe-like sedan that pretty much pulls the rug out from under its competitors stylistically. The front is in my opinion the smartest, most forward-looking iteration yet of the Shannon corporate face. The grille that I was a little cool on when I saw it on the smaller Type 4 has been nicely dialed down here; it's still prominent enough to be instantly recognizable but it's not as (to borrow 2o6's phrase) pig-nosed as the Type 4. It's the headlights that really set it off, though. They have an angry, Jaguar-esque squint to them that's very aggressive, and the LED pattern is simple but distinctive. The "brow" that tapers off the outboard edge of the headlights and picks back up again as the crease along the side is a thoughtful touch. The rakish profile and surefooted stance make the 5er and E-Class seem downright clumsy.

I do think the lower fascia/intake is a little drab; perhaps insetting the fog lamps in the intake to break up the vast expanse of mesh (and to reduce the chance that they'll be shattered on a low curb) would remedy that; although to be honest it is probably my penchant for over-adorning that area talking in that respect. The side surfacing is a little confusing in places, but the effect overall is impressive. Lastly, I've definitely seen better wheels, from you; these don't seem to fit the premium character of the car as well as your others, and don't seem as carefully rendered (although I obviously understand how hard it is to devote time to these renders). Did you use the same render for the front and rear wheels? Lastly (and only because this is something I've done on more than one occasion), did you forget to render the rear light? ;)

None of those (very very trivial) quibbles are to detract from what is a hugely imposing and impressive car, in both design and evidently in performance. The transformation of Shannon has been wonderful to witness; this is a class leader.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:10 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Thanks for all the feedback Domino! I'm thrilled you like it so much

I've pretty much had the basic idea for the front of the car for at least two years; just taking the Series 6 and making it much more aggressive and contemporary. It ended up pretty much exactly how I intended for once!

As for the fog lights, I was a bit worried about them being so low, but I was happy with the overall "mean" look of the lower air damn so I stuck with them. The wheels were a bit tricky to render; the design itself was also a bit last-minute as you've noticed - I basically took some older Shannon wheel designs and added some new details.

I think I did a serviceable job rendering the side surfacing, but it was pretty tricky to figure out. I'll post some of my development sketches soon (mostly crappy little doodles) to better show how the surfacing works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMiNo View Post
As an aside, making the Type 6 a retroactive Paris debut means there are officially zero CSS debuts in L.A. this year; very sad considering how bustling this place used to be.
There'll be at least one late LA debut for Montgomery (Gyro sedan), which I've already started on; I'm hoping to finish it by the weekend.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:56 AM

Hello SV, this is a very nice design. I really like the sleek headlamps and the foglights are nice and distinctive. The door handles are sleek and fit the car very well, the roofline looks sleek but not impractical. The grille helps give the car that upmarket feel and reminds me of a mix between BMW and Mercedes. Overall, the car looks sleek and elegant but not too over the top and the turbo engines get the thumbs up from me. :)

EDIT: I've just realised how many times I've used the word 'sleek'. :lol:
Old 12-18-2010, 06:07 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR Fanatic View Post
Hello SV, this is a very nice design. I really like the sleek headlamps and the foglights are nice and distinctive. The door handles are sleek and fit the car very well, the roofline looks sleek but not impractical. The grille helps give the car that upmarket feel and reminds me of a mix between BMW and Mercedes. Overall, the car looks sleek and elegant but not too over the top and the turbo engines get the thumbs up from me. :)

EDIT: I've just realised how many times I've used the word 'sleek'. :lol:
Hey, thanks for the feedback, sorry it took me so long to reply. Sleek was pretty much what I was going for with this design, so I'm glad you think it fits that description! ;)

I know this has been up a while, but if anyone's passing through and feels like commenting, please do so. I think we need to liven up the design section a bit!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 AM
CSS Veteran

Definitely sleek.
I think you've a design that will age well (always a good thing in this segment)
Actually think it's pretty interesting to look back on your older designs and see how they have aged, especially compared to contemporary vehicles you see on the road