Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

DoMiNo is on a distinguished road
Default 2010 Quimera Abante Touring

American automaker Quimera chose the 2009 Geneva show to reaffirm its commitment to the European market and to bolster its presence there with a stylish and practical new addition to its model range. The introduction of the Abante Touring—the wagon variant of Quimera’s much-touted Abante sport sedan—came as no great surprise to showgoers; the Touring debuts as interest in the brand on the Continent is on the rise, and company officials have long hinted that the Abante would spawn several variations. With its sleek shooting break shape and significantly greater usable space than its sedan counterpart, company officials hope that consumers will view the Touring as an equally utilitarian but economically more compelling alternative to the Halcón SUV, which has experienced a particularly harsh sales decline in the EU.

To that end, Quimera decided to simultaneously debut a powertrain that it hopes will win favor with pragmatic European buyers. Subtle “DS” badging indicates that this car packs more than just extra cargo space; this is the “Diesel Sport,” a designation which Quimera will now bestow upon any model (initially to include the Abante, Velero, and Halcón) which sports its potent new 3.0L twin-turbo diesel V6. This motor—the same as found on the revolutionary Halcón Qh Hybrid—is mated to a choice of true auto or dual-clutch sequential manual transmissions (both 7-speeds) and produces an effortless 280hp and prodigious 450 lb-ft of torque below 2,000RPM. In short, the Abante Touring DS “hauls” in more ways than one. And with a highway fuel economy rating of 37 mpg, it does so with unparalleled reserve.

Other DS indicators include unique front and rear styling, lightweight five-spoke “Campeon” wheels, prominent extraction vents aft of the front wheels, and interior trim badging. Customization remains paramount on the Abante Touring, with a wide spectrum of exterior colors, trim packages, and interior finishes available to discriminating buyers. An initial run of 100 Abante Touring DS models will commemorate Quimera’s recent entry into the Le Mans racing series and will be finished in the company’s trademark blue (“Azul Baleárico) and gold livery.

With deliveries of the Abante sedan already underway, Quimera insists that its more practical stablemate will follow suit in coming weeks. The Touring model and DS option will bow simultaneously in U.S. and European markets, with additional international markets expected to follow. Official pricing has not yet reached dealers but company officials indicate that the Touring model will command a small premium over the sedan. Likewise, the DS trim is expected to slot between the 2.4L petrol and 3.6L petrol engines in price.

Abante Touring DS in Azul Baleárico with Rally Gold Appearance Package

Abante Touring DS in Tormenta with Stealth Appearance Package

Abante Touring DS in Bronce Jerez

Abante Touring DS in Rojo Riojano

Old 03-21-2009, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

Love the front, glasshouse looks great, front tire could use some work perhaps, perspective wise I mean, and I am not fond of the large rear lights.

question, is the interior of the rims supposed to be greyish? or pure black? if grey then nevermind
Old 03-21-2009, 09:50 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Rob is on a distinguished road

A work of art, I prefer it to the regular Abante. The brilliant write-up backs up the excellent design, too. :) I think the tail-lights could do with being smaller, though.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:13 PM
GOD made man 2 mak LAMBOS

LamboMan is on a distinguished road

As always, your CS skills just keep getting better and better and each time your cars look more exquisite than before. Beautiful render man!

The car as a whole has a good stance and looks pretty damned sturdy. I love your use of the subaru blue and gold colours on your cars. That really makes em pop!
I love the balck one, it looks as good, if not better than a black Q7 which are pretty hot IMO.

Green house is almost perfect. Its a teeny bit low though. Love the lights and the super 'vent-ness'. Great work once again! :thumbsup:

Last edited by LamboMan; 03-21-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
Love the front, glasshouse looks great, front tire could use some work perhaps, perspective wise I mean, and I am not fond of the large rear lights.

question, is the interior of the rims supposed to be greyish? or pure black? if grey then nevermind
Thanks for commenting, Ascariss :) The interior of the rims was indeed supposed to be black, and I think that they were at one point, but in attempting to adjust the brightness of the disc brake (which is part of the same layer) I think I accidentally messed with the contrast instead. It's especially noticeable on the black car. I'd fix them but I didn't save the .PSDs of all the color variations, I only have one master document and I don't feel like making them all again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosworth View Post
A work of art, I prefer it to the regular Abante. The brilliant write-up backs up the excellent design, too. :) I think the tail-lights could do with being smaller, though.
Well I'm glad to hear you prefer the wagon, as being from the UK you're precisely its target market! Thanks also for the compliment on my write-up!

Re: the tail lights, I have an idea in my head of how they will work on the rear of the car, I just haven't been able to sketch out a rear of the wagon that I like as a whole. Hopefully I will get around to posting a rear view, in which case I hope the large rear lights will make a little more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamboMan View Post
As always, your CS skills just keep getting better and better and each time your cars look more exquisite than before. Beautiful render man!

The car as a whole has a good stance and looks pretty damned sturdy. I love your use of the subaru blue and gold colours on your cars. That really makes em pop!
I love the balck one, it looks as good, if not better than a black Q7 which are pretty hot IMO.

Green house is almost perfect. Its a teeny bit low though. Love the lights and the super 'vent-ness'. Great work once again! :thumbsup:
Thank you Lambo!! I must admit that I've more or less co-opted Subie's blue and gold as Quimera's "traditional" color scheme; I love it because it is (IMO) over-the-top without being tacky and seems to suit the cars rather well. The "Tormenta/Stealth Appearance Package" combo is something I've also used a lot. There's just something so menacing about an all Black/Graphite car!

Thanks again for the comments everyone!!

Old 03-21-2009, 09:53 PM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road

Brilliant domino! I definitely prefer it to the regular Abante, which was already awesome. I echo Ascariss in that the taillights look a bit oversized though. Also, it might be nice to see more toned-down cars from Quimera; as it is even the regular models look like supersport versions. Then again that may just be Quimera's style ;)

I'll take a DS in Rojo Riojano with the stealth package please!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
Brilliant domino! I definitely prefer it to the regular Abante, which was already awesome. I echo Ascariss in that the taillights look a bit oversized though.
Thanks SV! Having sketched some more ideas for the rear view, I may end up making the rear lights smaller after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
Also, it might be nice to see more toned-down cars from Quimera; as it is even the regular models look like supersport versions. Then again that may just be Quimera's style ;)

I'll take a DS in Rojo Riojano with the stealth package please!
You hit the nail on the head, my friend ;) Quimera's M.O. is to remain as far from "toned-down" as possible (while still hopefully remaining within the boundaries of good taste) with each new model it introduces. I dunno, I suppose I would just feel odd debuting a Quimera with a drab fascia, normal-sized wheels, and a sub-2.0L powerplant, if you know what I mean. I have more fun going over the top, and so long as it's fantasy I may as well go all out. Besides, I think there's room in the market for a niche brand that focuses on the more extreme end of each segment; I'm trying to balance mainstream ambitions with Quimera's irreverent, rogue spirit.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, I've just done a lot of thinking recently about the direction in which I'd like to take the brand

Old 03-25-2009, 12:39 AM

rodgerdodger is on a distinguished road

This has to be one of the most beautiful Touring wagons I've ever laid eyes on :)

The greenhouse looks a little familiar.. it reminds me of, and actually makes me yearn for, the new Mazda6/Atenza Touring, which we apparently won't be able to get in the US this time around
Old 03-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgerdodger View Post
This has to be one of the most beautiful Touring wagons I've ever laid eyes on :)
Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgerdodger View Post
The greenhouse looks a little familiar.. it reminds me of, and actually makes me yearn for, the new Mazda6/Atenza Touring, which we apparently won't be able to get in the US this time around
You certainly pinpointed one of my inspirations, subconscious though it may have been. I'm also a huge fan of the last-gen Mazda6 wagon :)

Thanks for the comments!

Old 03-27-2009, 05:56 PM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

PRODIGY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to PRODIGY

Sorry I haven't commented on this! Been busy lounging it in Spain and then drinking and chasing skirt in the UK, and have been neglecting CSS of late!

Anyway, you know it's gonna be praise from me! An awesome looking wagon, with a healthy dose of aggression! It has the same vibe and purpose of an MG ZTV8 Touring.

Love the vents behind the front wheels! Were they on the sedan? Can't remember off the top of my mind.

Good stuff as always!! I'll try and do a Clarkman Valencia red emblem to rival this.. can't have you dominating (No pun intended) the market!

^^^CLICK the link^^^