There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2008, 06:31 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2009 Shannon Type 4

Quote:
Shannon's new Type 4 compact executive range: lean, mean and green

3 October 2008 - COLOGNE, GERMANY - Just 4 years after the P44 Series 4 shook up the compact executive world with its elegance, quality and dynamism, Shannon is proud to introduce its replacement, the Type 4. Codenamed P45, the new Type 4 blends a sharp, upscale design with the quality and handling alacrity Shannon is known for, while offering unprecedented levels of efficiency and power.

New name, new style

The Type 4 is a landmark car for Shannon in many ways. Perhaps most importantly, it introduces a new naming nomenclature that will soon spread across the entire Shannon lineup. While individual models will still be named using the same formula, model ranges will now use the "Type" moniker instead of "Series". Harking back to Shannon's post-war Type 6 and Type 8 saloons, the new naming system pays homage to the past while forging a unique identity for the future.

The new name is reflected in a new styling language. The Type 4 introduces a new look for Shannon, combining a sleek, distinctive diving side crease with an aggressive DRG defined by a more prominent version of the split 3-bar corporate grille than has been seen previously. Along with an assertive, planted stance, there is no mistaking this car for anything but a Shannon.

Quality remains paramount

One thing that hasn't changed is Shannon's commitment to superb build quality. Inside, plush soft-touch inserts cover not only the dash and door tops but the lower panels too, imbueing the Type 4 with an unrivaled sense of quality and solidity. Supremely narrow and laser-straight panel gaps only add to this impression.

Meanwhile, the Type 4's interior has been enhanced compared to its P44 Series 4 predecessor with a new steering wheel, sleek new gauges, stylish yet simple climate and stereo controls, and the newest version of Shannon's Computer Interface System (CIS).

A driver's paradise

While many manufacturers are switching over to electrically-assisted power steering, which saps vital steering feel and communication, Shannon sticks by a hydraulically-assisted, rack-and-pinion steering rack. Critically acclaimed in other Shannons, this steering system is among the most communicative and direct in the world, making the Type 4 a joy to pilot.

Shannon didn't stop with the steering, however. With a McPherson strut front and five-link rear suspension, the Type 4's sophisticated mechanicals combine a firm yet comfortable ride with sublime body control, improved even further with the optional active anti-roll bars that almost completely eliminate lean in corners.

While the 4's superb grip and agility make accidents unlikely, in the event they do occur 9 airbags, DSC and Active Accident Avoidance (AAA) are standard.

An economic powerhouse

With all this talk of luxury and driving enjoyment, it would be logical to conclude that the Type 4 gulps fuel. However, the Type 4 defies logic thanks to its trim weight and some of the most advanced powertrain options in the world.

Greater use of high-strength steel and aluminium, plus an aggressive weight-saving program aimed at shaving as much mass as possible from various systems, means the Type 4 weighs up to 20kg less than its predecessor, an unusual occurence in a world of ever larger, heavier cars.

All of the Type 4's engines feature VIVES III technology, which includes variable valve timing and lift on both the intake and exhaust valves as well as direct fuel injection.

In addition to these high-tech features, the Type 4 introduces the new TurboKompressor and ZweiTurbo engine ranges. Combining turbocharging and supercharging, TurboKompressor technology allows small, efficient engines to post power figures comparable to much larger powerplants. ZweiTurbo, meanwhile, utilizes twin turbochargers to achieve exorbitant power outputs from medium-sized engines with minimum efficiency loss.

The Type 4 range is as follows:

414T: 1420cc, 135bhp/158lb-ft turbocharged inline four
414TK: 1420cc, 165bhp/185lb-ft TurboKompressor inline four
416TK: 1595cc, 186bhp/200lb-ft TurboKompressor inline four
420T: 1995cc, 225bhp/230lb-ft turbocharged inline four
430ZT: 2995cc, 330bhp/334lb-ft ZweiTurbo inline six
418Td: 1830cc, 145bhp/225lb-ft turbodiesel inline four
420Td: 2025cc, 173bhp/263lb-ft turbodiesel inline four
420ZTd: 2025cc, 210bhp/299lb-ft ZweiTurbo diesel inline four
430ZTd: 3020cc, 290bhp/436lb-ft ZweiTurbo diesel inline six

As if these fuel-saving options weren't enough, all Type 4s also come standard with stop/start and regenerative braking, which, when coupled with either the six-speed manual, six-speed Duonic or new six-speed ZKG twin-clutch gearbox, offer even greater efficiency.

A global event, starting soon

The Type 4 stands poised to shake up the compact executive competition with its style, dynamism, safety, and efficiency. Prepare to be amazed this November.

Last edited by SV; 08-17-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:16 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I love your style, but there's a few nagging issues with this drawing:

The facia is ugly. The front character lines make it look like a pig's nose......I do like the uniqueness of it is ok, though. The Stance is a bit lacking.......compared to a 3-series, C-class or an A4, the Type 4 looks a bit basic and less planted. And no offense, but the interior is a bit drab.

However, I do like the character lines of the side profile, and the wheels are pretty sharp, and I love the headlights.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Design Studio Moderator

Send a message via AIM to AXIS

A nice evolution, love the character line and body surfacing.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Sorry it took me a little while to comment on this one, SV. I just wanted the design to sink in a little.

It is definitely a daring step for Shannon; this is without a doubt its most distinctive model to date. The front is neat; the lights and grille don't integrate very well together (which is normally a strength of yours). The grille seems a bit tall and the lights a bit...well, Japanese, maybe. The look just doesn't scream "premium European" to me. I get a serious Mitsu Lancer vibe, and yet I can't quite pin down one particular element that makes it seem that way. Still, as I said, the front is distinctive and I respect your desire to create a unique identity for Shannon. It is certainly a far cry from the previous Series 4. The rear looks fantastic, I'd love to see a rendered view.

The side is my least favorite part; the surface transitions are abrupt and the indentation that the creases create along the side looks too deep. The interior, in stark contrast to the outside is surprisingly conservative.

I hope that didn't come across as harsh... it's a beautiful render and there are a lot of really awesome details, I just don't feel it comes together as well as it could.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:03 AM
GOD made man 2 mak LAMBOS

Though the grille is a bit in your face, it would look great if its position was slightly lowered. That aside i love the side treatment and front intakes. The most impressive part of your cool render are the wheels, man do they look real! the rim design is itself great and the rendering is just amazing.........same goes for the rest of the car. I really envy your rendering skills. Great job!
Old 10-07-2008, 03:33 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Bold, bold move. I commented on Facebook, and you know I LOVE it.

Domino is right, perhaps the grill is a little too tall, but I love the unique light treatment and the way it hugs the lower fascia too with those "cheek" lines.

Also, dont use white pencil on dark areas (like the lower vent area). I know the intent was to reduce the contrast on the furthest end of the vehicle - but do so by using less copics or something.

But I love it, and I'm still waiting for delivery of mine, in manual and Twin turbodiesel, in case you forgot! Thats the wagon of course.

I LOVE the side feature. Very unique.

I showe your design to a few people at uni, 3rd year designers, and they were in awe. You should be proud :)
Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 PM
CSS Oldtimer

thanks for the comments so far everyone! this design has generated a wider range of opinions than i expected, but i take that as a good thing.

2o6: i see where you're coming from with the pig nose thing, it's not something i had noticed before. i don't see where you're coming from with the stance, however, but to each his own i suppose. as for the interior, this is essentially a reskin of the circa-2004 series 4, and the interior is almost completely carryover apart from a new steering wheel and controls, so yeah there's not much flair to be had unfortunately =/

domino: i know what you mean with the lancer vibe (i would say it's coming from the outboard headlamps); it was something i'd noticed early on as well, but i decided to keep the headlight partly because i was happy with it as-is and also because i couldn't come up with anything i liked better. the sides are too deeply sculpted, i agree; i had envisioned the surfacing being pretty pronounced, but i just overdid it to make the sides look as 3D as possible, if that makes sense. at any rate, most of the upcoming shannons i'm fleshing out right now are leaning towards a softer, more elegant and less brutal look.

fresa: actually i only used pencil to lighten the far side of the windshield, which i had shaded in too dark on accident. the far side of the lower air dam is completely markerwork, apart from the white prismacolor lines to define the grille mesh.

i'm flattered you showed it to your classmates! personally i think it turned out pretty well (i wouldnt have thought it awe-inspiring though...haha) but i'm already thinking of how to make my next one better...i've been looking at professional sketches and renders and they're on a whole other level for energy and sketchiness, yet are also very clean too, so i'm going to attempt to go in that direction if i can.

do you want the 2-liter twin turbo or the 3? personally my pick would be the wagon twin turbodiesel also (430ZTd Touring), though with the dual-clutch (if only because i'm lazy and prefer automatics) =D
Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
domino: i know what you mean with the lancer vibe (i would say it's coming from the outboard headlamps); it was something i'd noticed early on as well, but i decided to keep the headlight partly because i was happy with it as-is and also because i couldn't come up with anything i liked better. the sides are too deeply sculpted, i agree; i had envisioned the surfacing being pretty pronounced, but i just overdid it to make the sides look as 3D as possible, if that makes sense. at any rate, most of the upcoming shannons i'm fleshing out right now are leaning towards a softer, more elegant and less brutal look.
It was a smart move to make the Series 4 the boldest/most distinctive of the sedans/wagons, anyway. People buying in this segment look for something that stands out, and in that respect the Shannon definitely succeeds :)

Looking forward to the future Shannons btw... what do you have in store?

Last edited by DoMiNo; 10-07-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:57 PM
CSS Oldtimer

well i'm still going to try to show a new shannon midsize SUV (to be called Cross5, starting the SUV variant of the new naming scheme), but the recent hurricane as well as gigantic amounts of homework mean even a late paris debut may be optimistic. if it can't make it to paris then the Cross5 will probably be out at detroit (i'd like to just push it back to LA but i don't think that's a prominent enough show).

farther out than that i'm planning a series 8 facelift probably out at detroit or geneva (possibly with a rename to type 8, but being the flagship i may delay the name change until the redesign), series 2 variants (coupe and cabrio for sure, plus a possible sedan; no sheetmetal would be shared with the hatch and they would of course be called type 2), and the Cross3. that's the X1 rival, and while it'll be almost identical in size to the BMW there won't be as much overlap with the Cross5, since the Cross5 is about 7in longer than its X3 rival.

apart from that i'm also toying with a redesign of the series 3 roadster, since i wasn't satisfied with that car at all. it would probably just be a reskin since it's still a relatively new car, but who knows..

oh and btw domino, it's type 4 now, not series 4 ;)

Last edited by SV; 10-08-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
oh and btw domino, it's type 4 now, not series 4 ;)
D'oh! What can I say, old habits die hard I guess

I wouldn't underestimate L.A., in terms of significance I'd say it rivals Detroit now, especially with luxury automakers for whom California is an immensely important market (witness Porsche, which pulled out of Detroit but has entire hall of its own in L.A.). True, there may not be as many high-profile debuts, but strategically L.A. is perhaps the most important auto show in the country for premium manufacturers.

In any event, it sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy. Looking forward to the new stuff.