Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2008, 11:17 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default 2011 Alfa Romeo Giulia (159 replacement)

http://images.leftlanenews.com/conte...8/giulia-1.jpg

Quote:
Alfa Romeo will revive the Giulia nameplate for the successor to its 159 sedan, according to rumors circulating in the European press. While there have been conflicting reports regarding which platform the car will use, sources tell us Alfa is developing a suitable RWD chassis with the help of Maserati.

Rumors about Alfa sticking with a front-wheel-drive layout seem largely unfounded. In October, Renzo Barbirato, Alfa Romeo’s marketing manager, stated the entry-level MiTo is the only Alfa Romeo model that will not make the switch to rear-wheel drive in the coming years.
It’s not known if the new 159/Giulia will be among the Alfa models bound for U.S. consumption, but it seems like a suitable candidate. The 8C Competizione and 8C Spider have been confirmed for the North American market, and the CXover sport utility vehicle is a safe bet.
The new Giulia is expected to arrive as a 2011 model. Our artist’s illustrations shows how such a vehicle might look.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/alfa-romeo-giulia.html

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 08-08-2008, 12:44 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I think Alfa Romeo is ready to make the jump and become a true premium brand, at the same level than BMW image-wise. This might be the car to take them there. The pic looks all fine, but as usual it's too early to make such bets.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:00 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

I think Alfa Romeo's image is still far from similar to BMW but you are right, its a good time for them to go even more up-market. They definitely have a unique and beautiful style, but not much else at the moment. With the move to RWD they automatically will appeal even more to purists but they need to sort out many issues such as weight and fuel economy (Alfa's are already heavy as it is). Not wanting to become another wannabe-German brand and sticking to the Italian characteristics is a must, Maserati will definitely help the brand A LOT. Oh boy, just the thought of drop gorgeous Alfa Romeo's with RWD and Maserati underpinnings make me drool!!!!

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 10-01-2008, 07:02 PM

From the latest rumours in Italy, it seems now definitive that the 159 replacement (i.e. Project 944) will be FWD and 4WD
The name is not decided yet, Giulia is just a speculation of the press, like Junior ... which then became MiTo
Only 4WD should be imported in USA with appropriate engines (at least 6 cylinders)
There should be also a coupè (aka 944 Sprint) similar to BMW Sr3 Coupè and A5 in term of size
Presentation is slated for 2nd half 2010 or beginning 2011in Europe
The former ides of a deep restyling of 159 is now completely aborted, it will be a whole new car
It will be based on a new platform that Fiat Group is developing for many of its models. In Alfa, new 159, new 147 (project 940) and new SportOver SUV (project 925) should use it in different sizes after appropriate characterization to fit Alfa peculiar handling requirements
Meanwhile in 2009, 159 will receive new engines

Contrary to the article quoted above, only 3 future models will be RWD, 169 (big sporty saloon, project 941) and New Duetto spider (project 947) and Coupè (947 Sprint)
All 3 should be imported in USA

No decision has been taken so far about importing MiTo, but Marchionne (FIAT CEO) is mulling with the idea to launch both Fiat 5oo and Alfa MiTo to compete with Mini

MiTo Spider has yet to receive the final green light, even if it is almost ready, it will depends from the sales of the first months

New 147, after a tormented genesis, should be ready and launched in 2009

Finally a "GTA" version of 8c Competizione, i.e. lighter and faster, is being prepared and should be probably launched in 2010

I repeat, these are just rumours, hope this is interesting for you
I know all the info is not only about 159, but it was easier to put all together in the same post, moderators please amend it as you deem appropriate

Last edited by tyter1; 10-01-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:26 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

Nice information on all of Alfa, I hope it's all accurate, especially the parts involving the USDM.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:02 AM

nothing is sure within Fiat group !! never until you see the cars in the streets
Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 AM
CSS Oldtimer

More Renderings

Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 PM
CSS Veteran

Nice!!!! I Like it
Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Raconteur

RETURN TO THE BRERA NOSE!!!! The render looks pudgy in the nose. The side and tail look fine but the nose is a deal breaker.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
RETURN TO THE BRERA NOSE!!!! The render looks pudgy in the nose. The side and tail look fine but the nose is a deal breaker.
Agreed. Or perhaps try something different to the Brera and Mito face altogether.