Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2007, 11:11 AM

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/...25544/

hybrid LR is coming.

I sure hope that LR won't become more dilluted in US than it is with L3, LR2. A good, reliable, enjoyable product that is backed by good customer service will sell no matter what market. So again marketing braniacs at work here.

As for alluminum repair, unless any of us have any concrete data then debating this is unnecessary. We are however, well aware of the positive effects.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:29 AM
AM2K

Default Re: (Roadster44)

Two small points I just wanted to chip into this discussion:

1) According to Autocar, an advantage of the Aluminium bodyshell, is that the Range Rover could incorporate a 'bolt-on front end' just like the Jaguar XJ. This would keep repair costs down in the event of a frontal crash.

2) Even if costs do increase slightly for Aluminium repair work in the event of a crash, then surely a person who pays a premium price of 60,000 for a Range Rover will be able to afford these slight cost increases anyway? If you can afford the premium price for a car with top performance and economy, then you gonna have to live with some increased costs...

Old 05-10-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: (AM2K)

I think that has to do more with how insurance companies perceives in all honesty. However insurance companies don't' cover off road applications. One can buy the car, it is always the insurance companies that you have to deal with.

Common practice is if the damage is around 50% of the car cost then it is usually a write off.

If RR can keep the body parts price low then it is fine.

I don't know what's your definition of "slightly", but I won't call 20+% repair cost slightly.

Quote, originally posted by AM2K »
Two small points I just wanted to chip into this discussion:

1) According to Autocar, an advantage of the Aluminium bodyshell, is that the Range Rover could incorporate a 'bolt-on front end' just like the Jaguar XJ. This would keep repair costs down in the event of a frontal crash.

2) Even if costs do increase slightly for Aluminium repair work in the event of a crash, then surely a person who pays a premium price of 60,000 for a Range Rover will be able to afford these slight cost increases anyway? If you can afford the premium price for a car with top performance and economy, then you gonna have to live with some increased costs...

Old 05-10-2007, 12:32 PM
AM2K

Default Re: (iamalittlepepper)

Quote, originally posted by iamalittlepepper »
I don't know what's your definition of "slightly", but I won't call 20+% repair cost slightly.

Indeed that wouldn't be 'slightly.'

But do you have any solid figures to back up these claims of it being over 20%? Plus, take into consideration this car will be coming out in 2012, by which time the overall cost for repairing aluminium will probably lower because of newer cost efficient methods.

Then of course the economies of scale of developing future Jag and LR models with aluminium technology might also help too?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Re: (AM2K)

Just go over to NSX prime and see how much NSX owners have to pay for panel repairs

However 2012 is quite a few years away and you are right hopefully Al cost will come down.

Quote, originally posted by AM2K »

Indeed that wouldn't be 'slightly.'

But do you have any solid figures to back up these claims of it being over 20%? Plus, take into consideration this car will be coming out in 2012, by which time the overall cost for repairing aluminium will probably lower because of newer cost efficient methods.

Then of course the economies of scale of developing future Jag and LR models with aluminium technology might also help too?

Old 05-10-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: (iamalittlepepper)

Quote, originally posted by iamalittlepepper »
Just go over to NSX prime and see how much NSX owners have to pay for panel repairs

However 2012 is quite a few years away and you are right hopefully Al cost will come down.

You just cannot compare the NSX and the RR or XJ. The reason why is because the NSX was a niche car, and one that would never have been able to make aluminum replacement costs reasonable. With the XJ, XK, RR, and XF, the investment is being shared between three different vehicles, some of which will be high-volume, which means that costs will go down.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:03 PM

Uh ohh I see a power couple formed by certain fiery individuals above.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:06 PM
CSS Oldtimer

We like power couples!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: (JB)

One of the problem is still the lack of shops (relatively) that have the skills to deal with Al.

As I have said early.. it will be boon to the OE dealerships.

Quote, originally posted by JB »

You just cannot compare the NSX and the RR or XJ. The reason why is because the NSX was a niche car, and one that would never have been able to make aluminum replacement costs reasonable. With the XJ, XK, RR, and XF, the investment is being shared between three different vehicles, some of which will be high-volume, which means that costs will go down.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:11 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: (IcedG35)

Quote, originally posted by IcedG35 »
Anybody else read that the Range Rover name will be placed on all American Land Rover's to give the entire lineup a more upscale reputation. The LR3/Disco will be faded out and replaced with a more upscale on-road 7 seater? Sorry I forget the source.

Honestly, I think Range Rover and Land Rover should seperate (at least take the land rover bade off Range Rovers). Range Rover should have teh classic model, the Sport, and a smaller version a.k.a. Freelander/LR2 but nicer. Land Rover should then have the Discovery (i hate LR2) and the Defender, and maybe a 5 seater to slot in between.

Yeah I read that article. It angered me how American based the article was in a bad way. As in, It was one of those articles where the author thinks the South pole is visible from Florida, the North Pole is the canadian border, The East is New York and the West is LA...

Land Rover will never - ever drop the Land Rover name. What a silly idea. What would be of the Defender and its heritage? And where did they get the dumb "Range Rover Country" Name from? Sounds to me like someone took way more than their dose of pills that day.

I heard the other day that there was news in USA that the Australian government was planing the emergency evacuation of 15 Million Australians into other Commonwealth countries due to the drought. 15 Million Australians! You have some Journos there that are geniuses. So Australia is like this Huge Reality show for the USA, and we just got evicted?

I saw a bit of that sort of sensationalist attitude in that LR article. I put my word on it although I'm no insider - It wont happen.