Default 2012 range rover

http://autocar.co.uk/News/News...25532/

Old 05-09-2007, 02:17 PM
AM2K

Default 2012 Range Rover rumours

http://www.autocarmagazine.co....7.jpg

http://www.autocarmagazine.co....6.jpg

Next Range Rover to be lighter, sharper

Land Rover is putting the finishing touches to the design and engineering of an all-new Range Rover, a milestone that marks the companys next phase of new-model launches.

Scheduled for sale in 2012, the all-new Range Rover starts the replacement cycle for the next-generation Range Rover Sport, Discovery, Freelander and Defender, plus possible additional new models.

Its a crucial model, and with this in mind, the new Range Rover will feature a key development: an aluminium bodyshell.

With sharper styling, a super-luxury interior, new engines, modified running gear and a possible hybrid powertrain, top-spec models might even nudge into Bentley territory with prices of around 100,000.

A lighter, stronger 4x4

The centrepiece of the Range Rovers ambitious makeover is an aluminium bodyshell riveted and glued together using technology already proven on Jaguars XJ saloon. Although Ford has yet to give final approval to this significant development, insiders expect the green light in the next few months. Were just waiting to hear go, said one source.

The alloy body is forecast to save around 40 per cent of the weight of the Range Rovers unpainted bodyshell, which translates into a saving of between 300kg and 400kg. In effect, Land Rover is aiming for a kerb weight of around 2200-2300kg, less than todays car, while keeping the Range Rovers stately presence and roomy, luxurious cabin.

As well as having a beneficial effect on fuel economy and CO2 emissions, the lighter Range Rover should ride and handle better and steer with more agility.

Off-road aluminium

Land Rover engineers are understood to be confident that they know enough about the effects of off-road driving on aluminium to be sure of no durability or warranty problems. When weve had problems before, its been where steel and alloy are joined together, said another insider. With all alloy those problems go away.

Fresh styling is a key feature of the project, codenamed L405. Land Rovers new design boss, Gerry McGovern, and his Gaydon-based team are working on distinct styling directions for Land Rover and Range Rover under the buzz words premium adventure for Land Rover and premium sophistication for Range Rover.

Two themes are being developed for the Range Rover, one more radical than the other. According to sources, the more conservative design is favoured at the moment. Land Rover has some time to make up its mind, since a decision isnt due until early in 2008. That gives engineers three and a half years to get the concept into production.

The main feature of the new design is understood to be a slightly more compact look with a lower roofline, less top-heavy glasshouse and tighter front and rear overhangs. Attention to detail will shrink the car visually, while ensuring it oozes luxury and retains road presence.

5.0-litre V8 power

Engines will be a mix of new and revamped units, co-developed with Jaguar. Two versions of an all-new direct injection 5.0-litre petrol V8 are in the pipeline: one with and one without a supercharger. Expect power outputs of around 350bhp and 460bhp.

Fresh diesels are coming, too. Land Rovers new 3.6-litre TDV8 will be stretched to 4.0 litres with a consequent rise in power and torque. Expect a peak of around 300bhp and 520lb ft.

A hybrid powertrain is also a tantalising and likely possibility to lower CO2 output. That could ease the tax pain thats inevitably going to penalise large cars of the future.

SOURCE: http://www.autocarmagazine.co....25532/

Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Arent photos supposed to be posted as links?

There are always sumours surrounding a new RR just like before the release of the Sport (remember even suggestions of a CC version of the RR?) The tail lamps kinda remind me of chops of the upcoming Mercedes Freelander rival

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
AM2K

Default Re: (CosworthKid)

Quote, originally posted by CosworthKid »
Arent photos supposed to be posted as links?

There are always sumours surrounding a new RR just like before the release of the Sport (remember even suggestions of a CC version of the RR?) The tail lamps kinda remind me of chops of the upcoming Mercedes Freelander rival

It's getting a bit late, must have slipped my mind about the links only thing. Don't report me to a mod though please

The rumours do seem to make sense overall though. The renderings are merely speculation as Autocar suggest (reminds me a lot of the G-Class from the rear).

But I think engineering wise, autocar might be onto something. The weight loss via alloy/aluminium has been mentioned on more than a few occasions, and definately is something LR could do with on it's heavier cars.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:28 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default Re: (AM2K)

Quote, originally posted by AM2K »

It's getting a bit late, must have slipped my mind about the links only thing. Don't report me to a mod though please

Hehe, im wayyy past the late stage myself

Hope the alumini rumours are true as well, it will do wonders to the RR and even Disco if they decide to, definately 2 very heavy SUVs

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 05-09-2007, 04:38 PM
CSS Oldtimer

The pictures looks nice but a bit tame for 2012. A significant weight reduction would be quite welcome.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
MERCURY: Mission2020 @FiN

Default Re: (mzoltarp)

Quote Mzoltarp: The pictures looks nice but a bit tame for 2012...

Yeah well they did mention 2 design themes with the other being more radical.

Anyone remember/know where to find a couple very futuristic LR/RR renderings? from last year I think - been searching & coming up empty.

..."a chop is a wish your heart makes"
Old 05-09-2007, 05:45 PM

Another nail for RR for off road enthusiasts.. good lord.. aluminum will be so expensive to repair!
Old 05-09-2007, 06:40 PM

I think if alloy repair was going to be an issue for cost conscious Ford, then they'd have taken a long hard look at XJ repair bills before signing off on alluminum. Besides Ford hasn't commited itself to this yet...only a rumor.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: (Roadster44)

How many XJ do you see off road? Have you seen repair/insurance cost of aluminum paneled cars? any dents.. the whole panel has to be replaced. Any more damage to the body it is written off.

With RR the point of the brand is to go off road. Transitioning the platform to pure Al with current repair technology you mind as well say VW Phaeton is "people's car".

Just like any other technology like Hybrids.. going Al just for the sake of going too light.. comes out of the pocket some how.. just not in oil/petrol.

Quote, originally posted by Roadster44 »
I think if alloy repair was going to be an issue for cost conscious Ford, then they'd have taken a long hard look at XJ repair bills before signing off on alluminum. Besides Ford hasn't commited itself to this yet...only a rumor.

Modified by iamalittlepepper at 9:18 PM 5/9/2007