There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2008, 03:45 AM
CSS Oldtimer

knihc2008 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to knihc2008
Default 2009 JC Volant

Friday, January 11, 2008 The Volant is finally turned from concept dream to production reality.

Over the past years, the Volant has become something of a familiar nameplate on the auto show stands. JC showed two fully fledged concept within the span of three years, and no one was sure whether or not the car would reach showrooms. The first Volant concept was purely a design study; a one-seater open-top track machine with a snarling V8 up front. Due to consumer reaction, a more production-ready Volant II concept was built to somewhat more lukewarm reaction, with only half the cylinders and a toned down design.

The road to Volant ends today with the production spec 2009 JC Volant. Stylistically, it is a mixture of both Volant concepts, as well as the SpeedCell concept, with a hefty dose of the current JC production line thrown in as well. The front has tones of the Vendetta, with a striking, sinister air dam arrangement. A hard line goes around the perimeter of the car with rising, haunch-like fender flares, like the Volant I, while underneath, rousing, multilayered rocker panels from the Volant II give the car a dynamic, fluid look. Also helping the car stand out, especially at night, are the usual intricate JC LED headlamp arrangements and taillamp arrangements.

As usual, this JC has smoldering performance to back the looks. The Volant will come in two flavors, Sport and Luxury. The Sport version uses the Vurig R's high-spinning, 2.0l twin turbo I-4 engine, which in this application outputs 300 hp to the rear wheels. The louder, high strung Sports model also gets stiffer suspension, an Endless big brake kit with slotted rotors, grippier alcantara seats, short-shift 6 speed manual gearbox, and lightweight H-Line wheels, as well as several weight-lightening measures such as a semi-automatic roof. The Sport model weighs 150 pounds lighter than the luxury model, and well run 0-60 in a face-ripping 4.5 seconds.

The Luxury edition (pictured) uses the Vendetta's 3.3l 300 horsepower I-6 to the rear wheels. The Luxury model has a softer suspension and 19", 10 spoke wheels, and luxury amenities such as a fully automatic top, leather seats, navigation and a six-speed automatic gearbox (the new JC dual-clutch manual-automatic is an option on both models). The more relaxed, latently powerful Luxury is no slouch either; with 280 ft. lb of torque, it ladles the power on smoothly, and runs 0-60 in a very quick 4.8 seconds.

Like models before it, the Volant represents a great value, and nestles in between competitors. The Volant will deliver Mercedes, Porsche and BMW-like luxury, fit and finish with S2000 performance and price. Both Sports and Luxury models will start at an estimated base price of $37,000.

As always, comments are very appreciated. No rear view... I got lazy and I have a huuuuge headache. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy!!

JC
Old 01-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Nice, but it borrows too much on the Solstice, Sky, and LFA. Looks great but it's too derivative of the others.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:12 AM
CSS Oldtimer

2o6 is on a distinguished road

It is a Bit Deritave, but looks gorgeous anyway. A Techno Edition of the Sky.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:35 AM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road

it looks great as always. i do agree, though, that the styling doesn't have anything hugely unique about it apart from the trademark JC kink in the hood cutline; still, it's an attractive and effective design. one thing that kinda bugs me, though, is the lack of a grille on this and some other JCs. how is the engine cooled without them? i mean, there are the big lower air intakes, but still, it seems a bit infeasible to me.

also, the base of the tires don't line up with the rest of the car.

apart from that, good job!
Old 01-16-2008, 04:42 AM
Design Studio Moderator

AXIS is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AXIS

This is one of my favorite designs from you knihc
Old 01-16-2008, 04:53 AM
Administrator

DoMiNo is on a distinguished road

I like it Sharp, stealthy, ready to take on SLKs and M Roadsters in a straight line and run circles around them in the corners, I'm sure. I don't think that the use of classic front-engined, RWD roadster proportions necessarily borrows heavily from the Solstice/Sky. Indeed, I find it more passionate than the Solstice yet more subdued (in a very good way) than the somewhat chintzy looking Sky. I do wish there were just a little more complexity up front--my eye immediately drifts from the front end to the side, which is just so much more pleasing, and makes me think of a very affordable Alfa 8C--but other than that I'd say the overall car is great. Love to see a rear view.

Also, you tend to make the tires look very, very thick, which on this car in particular sort of throws off the lithe, light-on-its-feet look.

Nice work as usual! The JC range is really filling out nicely!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:37 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Wow thanks for the quick responses, guys!

swizzle, 2o6: I do see some Solstice/Sky in the general proportions of the car for sure. I think it is very hard nowadays to design a sharp, front engine/rear drive roadster without having it look kind of like either of the two, but they are great looking cars. I thought I managed to differentiate it enough. Also, I dont' really see much LF-A in there... not to mention the Solstice/Sky and LF-A do look pretty darn different. Where is the LF-A in this car?

SV: I realized in many cars, the top grille was completely fake anyway. In a vast majority of cars, they're just there for decoration. I thought that was really quite stupid, which is why I decided to do away with them completely for the JC line. I've put vents where they are absolutely necessary (brake vents, air cooling vents down low, intercooler vents on the hood on H models) but the one in the top front, especially one as small as the one that would be fitted on JC models if they DID have grilles, would be too small to be functional. However it has been a very common complaint that without the decorating grilles my front ends look too plain, I will have to rectify this in future designs :]

ALSO, tire bases are something I just don't get... how are they supposed to line up?

AXIS: high praise man... thanks a bunch :]

Domino: Thanks for the praise. I tend to agree about the comment concerning the Sky/Solstice. I was sort of looking for a design that was not as rounded/jellybeany like the Solstice (and, in some cases, even the 8C) but not as sharp and busy as the Sky. The front end... again too plain, I know. It was very much so my goal to make the front ends of this generation JC to be simple, like a sheet getting pulled by wind across a sword; the front tip is almost serene, but as you move back the sheet gets ruffled in the wind. That said I did try to make the bottom air dam/lip a little interesting but it didn't come out too great haha

And yeah.. the tires. They don't look so thick until I mark the ground black and stuff. I really have to work on that, thanks :]

JC

Last edited by knihc2008; 01-16-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:10 PM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road

hey, check your PMs, i revised my shannon rendering and was hoping to hear your thoughts on it =)
Old 01-20-2008, 02:57 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Aw man I was excited to see another comment haha

JC
Old 01-20-2008, 03:01 AM
MG MOTOR UK enthusiast!

PRODIGY is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to PRODIGY

Ace design, ace drawing, ace car.

This is much better than the Saturn Sky that people have been comparing this with!

Are those magic markers you're using? I bought some and tried them but I keep c-ocking it up. Not sure what i'm doing wrong!

^^^CLICK the link^^^