There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Administrator

DoMiNo is on a distinguished road
Default Design Contest: The Next Bugatti

Where does a company go when it has already created what is widely believed to be the pinnacle of automotive engineering? What constitutes “forward progress” for the team that engineered a vehicle to reach 253 mph, 0-60mph in under 3 seconds, and to 100mph and back to a standstill in less than 10, all while remaining remarkably civil, comfortable, and composed? How do you top that?

Such is the dilemma faced by Bugatti, the Volkswagen Group’s most exclusive brand and currently purveyors of the world’s fastest, most expensive production automobile: the 16-cylinder Veyron. The perception-altering, record-shattering, million dollar supercar has met much acclaim and is well on the way to meeting its modest sales goals. But its days are numbered.

Volkswagen made clear from the project’s onset that the Veyron was a limited production exercise, a halo car to demonstrate the auto giant’s capabilities and not a sustainable product. After all, at an estimated production cost of approximately £5 million per unit, the Veyron is about as far from profitable as a product can get. Furthermore, many prominent industry insiders have criticized the folly of developing (at massive expense) a 1000+ horsepower, 4160lb. (1890kg) car even as the industry as a whole is shifting its focus to weight-saving techniques and lower displacement motors. While undeniably an incredible car, the Veyron is not without its detractors, including designer Gordon Murray (of McLaren F1 fame), who referred to the Veyron as “the most pointless exercise on the planet.”

Whatever your feelings about the Veyron, the fact is that it will soon be on its way out. Even with the recent addition of the Grand Sport targa model, Volkswagen is known to be assessing its options for the exclusive marque’s future. Rumors abound of a “baby Bugatti” to share components with VAG’s other premium brands, an equally-exclusive four-door Bugatti sedan, or even an even more extreme supercar to trump the Veyron in performance and in price.

So how does the most exclusive automotive brand in the world branch out? Very, very carefully. And it’s your job to help them do it. Your task is to design this next Bugatti, whether it be one of the aforementioned options, or something completely different. Whatever the case, your Bugatti must retain the brand’s inimitable style and must, in its own right, stand apart as the vanguard of design, technology, and performance. It must embody, as does the Veyron, a no-holds-barred approach to progress and should be the very closest thing to automotive perfection.

This contest will close Monday, October 13.

Good luck designers!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 11:34 PM

AJ DESIGN is on a distinguished road

hmmm im usueless at drawing so mine will be very basic! but ill have a go if thats ok
Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Administrator

By all means!

Always good to have newcomers aboard.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:56 AM
Car Designer hopeful

NelsonDesign is on a distinguished road

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I just messed up my entry. I'll get it in later.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Car Designer hopeful

NelsonDesign is on a distinguished road

Alright, here's mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bugatti.JPG (72.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 AM
GOD made man 2 mak LAMBOS

LamboMan is on a distinguished road

Nice car man! You should have put in some more details. I like the overal stance and colour coordination but it looks a little like a club racer / motorsport car to me. Btw you are getting pretty good at marker renderings...i really like your rendering style on this one.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:08 PM

TBR 427 is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to go retro on this one. Hopefully you're all remember the little wedge-tail 35? How am I supposed to get that onto a modern design

Apart from that, it's well on it's way along :)

Last edited by TBR 427; 10-04-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:14 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Rob is on a distinguished road

Awesome design Nelson! :)
Old 10-03-2008, 02:30 PM

MartinEDesign is on a distinguished road
Default ..

A comment to Nelson's bugatti: I like the shape and overall rendering but some critic here:
On the side view I like the most of it, just not the bottom edge on the rear, and as I have said before, wheels will make your drawing look better.
For the perspective, it is an hard shape to do! The front looks good, but the cabine, rear shape and wheels need some work. But you are getting better!

I will try to get sketching here, my dad has just returned from USA (I live in Denmark) with some blue copic markers in all the different blues he could find lol So expect a marker rendering from me soon!
Old 10-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Wow, very nice Nelson. In the spirit of the open-wheeled Type 35 but a more elegant tourer; the color scheme works wonderfully. How many seats does it have, and if more than one, how are they configured? And does it have headlights?

Very cool car.

For my part, I am kind of stumped, but have also been looking to the Type 57 for inspiration. Though I am now considering going rear-engined with my entry.

Closed Thread