There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2019, 04:27 PM
CSS Oldtimer

2o6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Oh lordy, lordy, lordy. Clue in! The Chinese could EASILY acquire GM and/or FCA, ditch the garbage, and put their products into American factories. You act like somehow the Chinese are beholden to GM. It's the other way around. The Chinese government has said it will support acquisitions.
You canít just buy anything you want. GM is a publicly traded company, itís shareholders wouldnít let that happen.

Not to mention the turnaround to stopping existing FCA/GM products, then turning around and putting federalized versions of Chinese designs into US factories would take a long time. Not to mention, at last for GM by in large, only big SUVís and pickup trucks are made here in the US. The handful of cars GM still makes are sourced from Mexico, China, or South Korea.

Even still, Baojun once again is a group brand. The only real possibility would be SAIC maybe wanting to take complete control of Baojun, but I doubt GM would let that happen since Baojun is very profitable for them.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:26 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
You canít just buy anything you want. GM is a publicly traded company, itís shareholders wouldnít let that happen...
Not true necessarily. They see it being run into the ground via incompetent management and average-to-mediocre cars. They very well could desire a solution to that mess.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:24 AM
Mahindra Fan

Shogun76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not true necessarily. They see it being run into the ground via incompetent management and average-to-mediocre cars. They very well could desire a solution to that mess.
Considering how much Donald Trump fears and hates China then idea of GM being sold to China is nothing more than a pipe dream. It's not going to happen in our lifetimes unless hell freezes over and pigs grow wings and start to fly.

Last edited by Shogun76; 08-01-2019 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:17 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun76 View Post
Considering how much Donald Trump fears and hates China then idea of GM being sold to China is nothing more than a pipe dream. It's not going to happen in our lifetimes unless hell freezes over and pigs grow wings and start to fly.
Your hatred of our President aside, anything can happen especially if those Chinese cars were built in the USA, which is EXACTLY how China will do it when they come knocking.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:58 AM
Mahindra Fan

Shogun76 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Your hatred of our President aside, anything can happen especially if those Chinese cars were built in the USA, which is EXACTLY how China will do it when they come knocking.
I've never said that I hated Donald Trump. I just go on what news reports I read and it doesn't paint a very nice picture of what he thinks of China. He has a very valid point in that the US has millions of skilled workers that could easily build American cars in America using US Steel as supposed to using imported materials and that is something that is very true. I just don't see Chinese car manufacturers making their cars in America and taking jobs away from GM, FCA and Ford which a the crown jewels of American motoring history.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:34 PM
Raconteur

Mark my words: the Chinese will build their cars in the USA for consumption here.