Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2006, 03:34 AM

odic is on a distinguished road
Default BMW M vs MB AMG

What if you cross a BMW M5 with a MB CLS 55 AMG?

Sounds like a weird question, doesn't it?

What i'm trying to explain here is that today, AMG has the best engines with torques starting at 700 Nm till over a 1000 Nm. The fact is that a BMW M still's better in putting the power of the engine on the road.

Okay, today the 63 AMG has arrived and happily with the 7G-tronic, but still imo MB has to concentrate itself on how to control all the power and manage it to the road.

for me, the overall winner is still BMW with less torque but more fun.

Old 02-16-2006, 03:39 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Superfresa is on a distinguished road

The thing is, the MB is a nice car outside, then you step in and its cosy and nice and relaxing and fun.

BMW on the other hand, is an amazing, beautiful, astonishing car on the outside, but then you make the terrible mistake of opening the door into a world of gray dashbords that scare you, cheap plastics and idrives... ewww why couldn't BMW make nice interiours and take the idrive off?

IMO, the pick is the Jaguar S Type R or the Audi S6 Instead. Nice outside, and inside its astonishing.

Or a CLS with M5 rear head room....

Old 02-16-2006, 04:04 AM

Default Re: (Superfresa)

for me it's the other way around. i prefer interiors from BMW with a touch of wood instead of the MB wooden interiors with a touch of grey.
and about the idrive? just learn to work with it, the same with mmi from audi.
even MB has it on the S class...
but as they say, tastes and colours you can't discuss.

as i said, i prefer M engines, but Audi is on the way up with the new RS4, which is according to Jeremy Clarkson better than the current M3.
checking the RS6 thread, their newest creation also will be astonishing, just like the S8.
i also saw you mentioned the S-Type R, but imo it can't compete this days with MB AMG or BMW Ms. Engine-wise, they are a step higher.

Old 02-16-2006, 04:13 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Superfresa is on a distinguished road

hehe - yes it can. Dont underestimate Jaguar. Its 4.2 Supercharged may not be as large as some of its competitions, but the quality of that engine is very up to standards. Sure, Jaguar doesn't have 5 or 6 engines for the S type, it has 2, but at least the 4.2 is a great engine.

But what really gets the Jaguar up there next to the competition is its style and elegance - its a class of its own really...

Old 02-16-2006, 04:18 AM

lol i've never underestimated since i tested it once. it is indeed a great engine and off course, the jag is a class of its own as you say, even it's not an R
for style and elegance you need a jag
Old 02-16-2006, 04:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (odic)

AMGs and Ms are not really cars for the same type of driver, so it's not that fair to compare them.

AMGs are ultrafast highway cruisers usually, whereas Ms are cars you will enjoy in a more curvy, satisfying and stressing way, if you get my meaning. Both are faster than you will ever need them to be, so just pick the one that suits your driving style.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:11 AM

Default Re: (Reppu)

it's true BMW-drivers aren't the same as MB-drivers but do you mean you can't cruise ultrafast on the highway with an M5?
Old 02-16-2006, 07:34 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (odic)

Quote, originally posted by odic »
you mean you can't cruise ultrafast on the highway with an M5?

Of course not, i mean it was not designed specifically for that.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:59 AM

Default Re: (Reppu)

okay, i think i know what you mean.

The first M's were in fact BMWs to compete with sporty coup¬Ěs as AMGs were MBs were just for cruising harder than normal MBs.

That's maybe why there was first an M3, and not an M5 but an M535i

Old 02-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

MitzXJ220 is on a distinguished road

Quote, originally posted by Superfresa »
hehe - yes it can. Dont underestimate Jaguar. Its 4.2 Supercharged may not be as large as some of its competitions, but the quality of that engine is very up to standards. Sure, Jaguar doesn't have 5 or 6 engines for the S type, it has 2, but at least the 4.2 is a great engine.

But what really gets the Jaguar up there next to the competition is its style and elegance - its a class of its own really...

The S-Type R is the best R Performance car that they make. They only make around 300 R's a year, so you're in an exclusive club if you have one. Its also better looking than the XJR that can't be distinguished from any other car in the range.

It can't keep up with a M5 on the track (lack of a limited slip diff, hopefully they'll sort it out next time), but it sure can beat it in the real world. Remember many BMW dealers conceded that they would have sold more cars if it were an automatic - many of these customers bought S-Type R instead.

AMGs seem to have too much power for their own good IMO. Most of it is to help propel the extra weight they seem to have, in order to produce a decent power to weight ratio. Don't get me wrong though, it's not a bad thing that they want to over fettle their engines, it's just that shouldn't they be concentrating more on the most important factor that kills performance - weight?