CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road
Default 2021 Kia K5

Beautiful

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/11/...5-south-korea/
Old 11-12-2019, 02:17 AM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

Damn, I really want to love this, but I just kind of like it.
I think the proportions are off and length is too stubby. The rear doesn't have the presence it needs or what all the detailing around it tries to convey. The DLO is rather bland as well. The tail light has a bit more chunk to it than needed. C pillar detailing and roof slope aren't resolved well enough.

I was worried most about the front, but I actually find that the best of it all.

I'm glad Hyundai/Kia are back at these more daring designs, but this doesn't quite nail it for me.

I'll bet the interior is stunning though.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:20 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Certainly a very handsome design, although it still doesn't quite recapture the originality and delicacy of the first gen model.

The trunk looks so ridiculously short (although it appears to "cut into" the backlight a bit) that I really don't understand why they don't make this a hatch.

I get why they have the chrome strip running the length of the greehouse, although I think having one that's a consistent width would look better. Lit tailight design is a overly fussy.

Interested in seeing the interior design since Kia has been doing an excellent job in that dept recently.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:03 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road

4,90 meters long...it might be OK for the american market, but certainly not for the european market, where space (both parking and at lanes) is going smaller and smaller.

With respect the design itself, i agree wit Nicktyelor. It's close, but it doesn't quite do it for me except the front.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:35 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Interior pics: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kyleedw.../#1b65984c285b

Certainly no need for screen-envy w/ the upper trims (which is what I assume is pictured)! Kia continues to do a great job w/ interiors, and even the door panels look interesting (from the little we can see). Door handle seems awkwardly high, though.

And it is apparently seriously considering changing the name to "K5" for the US (which I think is a bit of a mistake since I assume "Optima" has SOME name recognition). Also, AWD will be available:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ptima-k5-name/
Old 05-21-2020, 01:03 AM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

I really really hate the screen setup. It's a very awkward and cheap looking version of what Mercedes has been pursuing since 2014.

The speedo and center stack screen have very different treatments with the former concaving inwards a lot, producing a distracting (and plasticy) shiny/mirroring effect. The center stack screen has raised bezels which looks incredibly dated imo. Just put it all under glass and it looks drastically better.

I feel that side buttons are a mistake as well and they look much better positioned below the screen.

Everything else is great, but such a prominent element of the interior look really tacky imo.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:09 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

Simply stunning. I had a 2012 Optima Hybrid and adored it. If / when Kia offers a full EV, I'd have zero issues going back to them.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:28 PM
CSS Oldtimer

IcedG35 is on a distinguished road

these designers NEED to learn restraint. the design would be 10x nicer if the headlights weren't so unnecessarily busy. Even the Stinger, which is beautiful from the front, has those weird extensions of the taillights into the profile. it's unnecessary and makes all of these cars look like they have cheap aftermarket bodykits.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:23 AM

ndjan is on a distinguished road

It's 90% there. If they just edited down all the flair on the exterior by 10%, it would be perfect. It's like they needed an editor to clean it up a bit.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:28 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Optima is officially dead; K5 official for North America (thread title updated). Looks like we don't get the touch capacitive HVAC controls (yay), the digital instrument cluster (boo), or the rotary shifter (boo):

https://www.motor1.com/news/431585/2...-debut-review/

Last edited by pjl35; 07-01-2020 at 02:15 PM.