Disclaimer: I am by no means a fan of the design (exterior and interior) of this vehicle. I am posting the below for some perspective. The main competitors to this are the Nissan March/Micra and Honda Brio (neither of which are lookers by any means).
The "new" Mirage was designed as an emerging market entry level vehicle under the guidelines of the the Thai governments Eco Car tax incentive program. The same is true of the new Nissan March/Micra, which could explain some of the similarities, and the Honda Brio.
12% of first year production will be for Thailand with the remaining 88% set for export. The only non-emerging markets country to get the car within the first year of production will be Australia and Japan, the latter will see the Mirage sold for under 1 million Yen (roughly equivalent to the psychological $10,000 base in the U.S.).
Finally, a larger version of the car with a 1.2l engine, the likely candidate for Europe and other developed markets, may well feature different styling (at least I would sincerely hope so since I would never consider this as it looks now)...
@mick and swizzle: While I am also disappointed by this particular model ( and the absence of the diesel and lack of a more powerful engine in the U.S. spec Outlande Sport), Mitsubishi's financials and sales (at least per their most recent filings) are actually healthier than they have been in nearly a decade (i.e. since the 2004 Daimler mess).
@2o6: Both the Lancer (especially in GT(S) guise) and the "regular" Outlander handle rather well, near the top of the class. While the interiors are indeed drab and cheap, the driving experience is really quite good (athletic for each respective class and price point).