There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2020, 12:25 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough
Default 2021 Toyota Yaris Cross

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/04/20...act-crossover/

Toyota''s new B-sgement CUV; Interestingly, they kept the Yaris name, despite the exterior being completely different (the dashboard seems to be shared though, which I guess is fine, as the new Yaris' interior has generally been praised for it'S quality and some nice details)

For the start, a 1.5 3cyl. Hybrid with 114hp is the only engine choice, but can be had bot with FWD and eAWD ((with an added electric engine in the back, like all Toyota Hybrid SUVs). a 40-2040 splitting rear seat and electric tail gate are mentioned, so practicality and equipment should be above class average.

Personally, I like the design, it looks like a smaller RAV-4 (and the new model has really grown on me in flesh, by CUV standards), and I also like the generally calmer front end theme and lack of fake vents and exhausts in the back...
Old 04-23-2020, 04:22 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

So much better than the CH-R. I wish they were bringing it stateside.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:46 PM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

This is like 95% there. The profile, body lines, detailing, is all pretty clean and inoffensive.
But that grille looks really misplaced. It's recessed too far and undersized (go figure Toyota...) so it looks like someone curling their lips in. The mesh there also looks kind of cheap. I could easily see it expand up closer to the headlights, and come forward slightly.

And that dash tablet is still atrocious...

Otherwise a surprisingly competent-looking product.

Also reminded by that family promo pic how much I want a GR Yaris....
Old 04-23-2020, 11:41 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
So much better than the CH-R.
Agree that this looks worlds better than the abomination known as the CH-R. I wondered why they weren't bringing it; Car and Driver mentions that this Yaris Cross is actually several inches shorter than the CH-R (which is already quite short). Not sure if the US has yet shown a urge for such teeny CUVs.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:14 AM
CSS Oldtimer

2o6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Agree that this looks worlds better than the abomination known as the CH-R. I wondered why they weren't bringing it; Car and Driver mentions that this Yaris Cross is actually several inches shorter than the CH-R (which is already quite short). Not sure if the US has yet shown a urge for such teeny CUVs.
The Ecosport is still a couple inches shorter than this Yaris Cross. I wouldn't rule out a Yaris Cross appearance, but we shall see.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:05 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
THis is 4,18m long, the C-HR. which means it is 18cm shorter than a C-HR; SO yes, it is smaller; However, it'S slightly more upright bidy shape could mean it#s not that much less spacious (Although the C-HR, despite it's shape, is actually quite spacious, albeit feeling really dark in the back seat because of the small window area; Again, something this does better); ALso, the 40-20-40 split seat and a variable boot floor are stuff the C-HR does not offer, so the Yaris Cross os defintely teh more practical of the two vehicles;

That said, I think the main reason for this not being a prime candidate for the US is a similar one as with the new Ford Puma or other small Euro CUVs - they are too expensive, because of build, materials and tech; In the US, small car still means cheap car for most, so a high quality - and thus more expensive - small car or CUV is doomed to fail in the market, with very few exceptions; And I doubt Toyota would want to sell a car at loss just to keep the prices at the bottom end of the segment.

In Europe or Japan, people tend to buy more expensive versions of small cars with a lot of kit and also higher expectations regarding interior build and available options, and these cars can get seriously expensive, even from non premium brands;
Old 04-26-2020, 06:21 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road

More RAV-4 than CH-R. Not a good thing on such a small car, but then again it would cannibalize sales from the CH-R if it had such bold aesthetics.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:55 AM
Mahindra Fan

Shogun76 is on a distinguished road

This certainly has the edge in styling over the C-HR. It looks brilliant and should sell like hotcakes.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:40 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
More RAV-4 than CH-R. Not a good thing on such a small car, but then again it would cannibalize sales from the CH-R if it had such bold aesthetics.
I think this will not undercut the C-HR by a huge amount, but - in a similar move to the Volkswagen T-Cross, which is also more upright and practical than the just slightly larger and expensive T-Roc - give customers a choice of practicality vs. bold(er) styling;

Also it appears the C-HR was not "CUV" enough visually for some people, so this might cater them well; Altogether, I think this will very quickly be Toyota's bets seller in Europe and other markets where this goes on sale....
Old 04-27-2020, 11:02 AM

shiakas_ is on a distinguished road

This looks so much better than the C-HR and I was surprised to learn that it is actually the same size as the second generation RAV4. This is a car I can easily recommend to people looking for a small SUV / family car