Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Bonneville View Post
Here's something that I'm wondering about, regarding the recent news of Infiniti's head, Johan de Nysschen, suddenly leaving the post after two years, and going over to Cadillac. Of course, Johan de Nysschen was with Audi, and for some two decades, prior to Infiniti. What I'm hoping is that under his regime, that Cadillac will move forward and better compete with BMW, Mercedes-Benz and the rest, and build on product especially the Omega-chassis based upcoming large RWD flagship (which could be named LTS), and perhaps green-lighting the production Elmiraj. I'm also hoping that Infiniti sticks to it's guns with it's plans that have been reported, under Johan de Nysschen watch, especially with the two flagships, one being a large 4-door coupe, and a GT-type 2-door coupe, both influenced by the popular Essence concept, plus a possible halocar, based on the Emerge-E concept, to battle with the upcoming Acura NSX. Then, you'll have a tuned performance range in the Eau Rogue variety, starting with a Q50. There's also news with engines in development at infiniti, two twin-turbo V6s, potent and two different sizes, one can even be part of a hybrid set-up, the higher-powered version. Still can't help to wonder if all this, in both brands, will still move forward.
Infiniti was not happy with him, hence his departure. Cadillac already outsells Audi by 20% in the USA so it is not broken. I fail to see how he will benefit Cadillac, fresh from his stumbles at Infiniti.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktyelor View Post
In what world do you live in where the NSX wasn't take seriously?

Maybe inside your anti-Honda bubble.

Honda f*cks up a lot, but the NSX is something they got right.
I'm not saying the NSX was incompetent, but the facts remain that Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, and BMW did nothing special to field a response because the NSX clearly posed no threat to their dominance. Heck, Corvettes easily ran with the NSX for a lot less money. In fact, the NSX came to market bewilderingly high priced for a Honda/Acura, so it never became the game-changing vehicle Honda hoped for. Many saw the price and balked.

The mere fact that Honda is aiming for wannabe hypercardom in the next NSX suggests a repeat reaction by other manufacturers and buyers. Sure, JDM import tuner boys are tingling in their Andrew Christians over this. If Honda/Acura were serious, they would be taking dead aim at the Stingray, F Type, 911 and not dorking around hybridization.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:07 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville

Regarding Johan de Nysschen's entrance to Cadillac, what I'm hoping, for I saw in a couple of published reports that he really wants to focus on the GM premium division to be a Tier-1, and better battle with BMW, Mercedes-Benz and others, what I'm hoping is that he ads product and moves all more upmarket to move forward. I'm hoping that he decides to pick up the even larger, more premium variant of the RWD Omega that was planned, but cut, which would better compete with the upcoming larger S-Class variants, Rolls-Royce models and Bentley offerings. When I was at the recent Greenwich, CT Concours d'Elegance, a source/rep at the Cadillac display-tent did tell me that the Omega-platform is designed to be as large 226" in length (where the Alpha is designed to max out at around 5-meters). Of course, a rep spewing out propriety information at GM is grounds for dismissal, I'm told by other reps (it's like treason), but that info probably was not all that sensitive, for the Omega-platform is known, via the spy-shots and the Ciel and Elmiraj concepts. Taking a look at the full-sized Omega test-mule pics (LTS?), it does appear quite huge, proportions and all, larger than LWB S-Class, 7-Series, XJ, A8 and even the Quattroporte; it appears more of the size of a Rolls-Royce Ghost, as least in regular-wheelbase guise. I'm also hoping that he finds a way to even more the ELR more forward, and maybe, who knows, he could perhaps reverse the decision for a Cadillac version of the (next-generation) Lambda crossovers, to say yes again.

As far as Infiniti, the only thing that I disagree with is the QX70 (nee FX) no longer having a V8 variant, even though the sole V6 version gets some of the features that was solely on the V8 model. Then again, the current QX70 is a lame duck, toward the end of it's lifecycle, and a successor/next-generation will arrive soon, with reports stating that it will be even larger, to address lack of space complaints. Also, the QX70 was the only Infiniti model using the 5.0L V8, and the take was a smaller percentage, where all other V8-powered Infinitis and Nissan full-sized trucks and SUVs use forms of the 5.6L V8, that there just wasn't a case for the 5.0L V8 any longer. The QX70, being at the end of it's lifecycle, it wouldn't be worth an investment to engineer it to accommodate the 5.6L V8, so, maybe it's successor will receive it, or a twin-turbo V6 powerplant, one of two in the works, or a choice of that and the V8.

This is all my personal perception, at least for the speculation parts, but, I would hope that I'm pretty accurate.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:55 AM

Acura R&D is planning to have it's own engines in the near future for it's cars. Also, Acura will be building it's models in the USA though, for now the RLX will be made in Japan for the meantime. RLX is currently built off the 8th gen Accord platform, and the Sport Hybrid model is coming out next month in the USA. Acura might do an emergency MMC for the RLX ala 2012 Civic in hopes of adding extra sales.

There are plans for possibly a model that could replace the RLX or slot above it with the NSX engine and it would be a hybrid. Honda/Acura did not develop that 90 degree DOHC TT v6 for nothing. It might even use the new 2nd gen ZF 8HP transmission which has 10 percent better fuel economy.

Just some more rumors on Honda/Acura. NSX is likely scheduled for Detroit and it should look like the concept and the interior will not look like the concept as that was deemed too conservative by the management.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:40 PM

Perhaps the rumored platform for the above RLX sedan or RLX could also be used to make a 2+2/GT/Roadster, etc in addition to the baby NSX.