There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2007, 05:16 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: (drugmirko)

Quote, originally posted by drugmirko »
Fox is but ugly and I don't think that it stands any chance to Fiat 500, new Ka, TwingoII&Co.....

I think a VAG Mini that fights the 500 & Twingo should more be a Seat: a) they desperately need an entry level car. In souther European countries, Ibiza is already a mid sized vehicle. They need sthg. like the Marbella/Arosa

b) In general a small & cheap yet funky car better suits Seat's image than VW.

I agree on the Fox styling, but we should remeber that originally it wasn't intended for "first world" markets.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:17 AM
CSS 2006 Ford Fusion nut

Mr. Fusion is on a distinguished road

That CGI was suppose to be the next Polo, not Lupo as the Fox has replaced that and the Seat Arosa is out of production.

The Fox will be introduced again into the European market in 2009 with a new fresh Volkswagen design and hopefully 5 doors and a diesel engine.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:59 AM
CSS Veteran

Tidal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (mick78)

Quote, originally posted by mick78 »
The Lupo was overpriced, therefore didn't sell and was eventually dropped & replaced with the Fox - I really don't see why VW would bring this car back, FOx is (in Europe) still relatively new, especially as this rumour of a new Lupo is really new to me.

The Fox isn't that overpriced, ( although in Portugal, and i think many other countries around Europe, you can get an Ibiza for about the same price ), but it isn't selling either. At least the Lupo had a good image with consumers, and it sold well in higher spec models, like the GTi. The Fox, imo, has no image whatsoever.

A new Lupo would be a good idea, but they would really have to look at the pricing. Making a similar ( but with completely different sheetmetal ) Seat Marbella would help. But if they want go for Mini territory, than they should stay quiet and leave that to the Audi A1.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

Uberwagon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (knicks125)

Quote, originally posted by knicks125 »

As mentioned earlier, one of the biggest obstacle VW has to overcome is the cost issues, and I should also correct myself, exchange rates VW has little influence over. But, if, and once everything sorted out, the potential benefits of these small cars could be vital to VW's short and long term growth. It should be noted profitability on these cars are marginal but these small cars can bring indirect benefits to others in the portfolio.

Well said. The margins are pretty thin in this category but they need some sales momentum and some fresh brand equity in the worst possible way!

Personally, I think Chinese or Mexican assembly could make these a perfectly viable sales proposition and a potential hit here in the States. There's no "affordable" German car worth driving anymore and VW has pretty much squandered the youth and energy that the original Rabbit GTI brought to the brand. They could fill the entry German performance niche and inject some much-needed brand equity with a solid little Lupo GTI.

Imagine what it would take: No frills spec with some bolstered fabric seats, bigger wheels and tires, an honest performance suspension, a tight 6-speed manual, an air-dam, five or so extra horsepower and a price every new college grad could afford (say, $16,000?). I think that and a pinch of sharp marketing would be Volkswagon's *instant* redemption in this country.

Unfortunately, VW is so obsessed with moving upmarket at the moment (and cannibalizing Audi) that they're missing these opportunities to re-generate volume and revitalize the brand. Sure, the margins are slim and hatches are seen to be a risk, but damn, their dealers are dying and I don't think the push upmarket will ever have chance without shoring up the foundation: Solid, high-value, fun-to-drive cars like a Lupo GTI.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:20 PM

Roadster44 is on a distinguished road

Again it's like that BMW commercial for 3-CC, "build it from ground up". It's pretty obvious that VW needs way more Mexican or Chinese built products under the $30k range on US soil - that would attract new customers, gain momentum and then move upmarket as needed. Given different body language, and different driving characteristics I don't think it would take away from Audi.

However I do wonder about other issues about building cars in Mexico for example...such as investing in plants, re-tooling, hiring, training, working with suppliers (which supplier do you choose, based from where? what are their turnaround times?) There are a number of potential showstoppers they VW needs to look at. But again I don't see VW moving upmarket on $30k+ side as a big issue.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 PM

iamalittlepepper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Roadster44)

VW currently makes cars for NA market in Brazil and Mexico.

I think expanding the mexico plant makes most sense (despite of unions) because Mexico is part of NAFTA.

The issue at hand is I don't think VW uses flex assembly lines.

Quote, originally posted by Roadster44 »
Again it's like that BMW commercial for 3-CC, "build it from ground up". It's pretty obvious that VW needs way more Mexican or Chinese built products under the $30k range on US soil - that would attract new customers, gain momentum and then move upmarket as needed. Given different body language, and different driving characteristics I don't think it would take away from Audi.

However I do wonder about other issues about building cars in Mexico for example...such as investing in plants, re-tooling, hiring, training, working with suppliers (which supplier do you choose, based from where? what are their turnaround times?) There are a number of potential showstoppers they VW needs to look at. But again I don't see VW moving upmarket on $30k+ side as a big issue.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:51 AM

Papa_Joe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (iamalittlepepper)

Lupo II
Here
http://www.autostrassenverkehr...0.hbs
they say that there will be a new Mini-VW (Lupo II) in 2009. And there will be a Polo CoupÂť and a Polo Convertible...
Old 07-25-2007, 09:41 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Papa_Joe)

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 07-25-2007, 05:35 PM
CSS Oldtimer

the1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (CosworthKid)

VW has confirmed to present the a platform for a low-cost car, a real people's car, at the Frankfurt Motor Show this year in September. The rumored car shall cost below 8000 Euro without giving up the look and feel of a VW.
The car is expected to arrive in 2009.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:39 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (the1)

The "a real people's car" thing is getting rediculous. This is just a city car, just like the Aygo/107/C1 right? So is that some kind of great accomplishment for VW? I mean is the asking price so much cheaper than the competition or is it cause VW is playing it "premium" so its a special privilege for us to be able to own one for such little money? The Lupo and Fox could have also been sold at bragain prices if u ask me

MAKE
MINE
FORD