Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Uberwagon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (CosworthKid)

Relax pal. When someone says they want a Hybrid Fit and you claim that to be "pointless and stupid", you're not only inviting some heat, you're kind of being a jerk too.

In any case, a Hybrid Fit is not "pointless" at all:

First, the modern electrical drivetrains coming to market in the next couple years (plug in, solar top-off, etc.) will be much more advanced than currently available hybrid units and are already superior to diesel's mileage and emissions. In congested environments (in Europe and here) they will be vastly superior. The gas engines in these also have a narrower operating range (RPMs) given the electric engine's low speed compensation, partially eliminating the need for costly variable valve timing systems, mitigating some expense.

Second, you're assuming "economy" is the primary reason for purchasing a hybrid and the yardstick by which it is judged. It's not. The emotional benefits of limiting carbon emissions and/or limiting use of oil from volatile regions are often the primary reasons for purchasing a Prius. The financial benefits are limited and often represent a secondary reason for purchase.

Naturally, that will change quickly as fuel prices rise and climate change regulations start coming into effect. In which case a Hybrid Fit will be an even more obvious solution.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:44 PM

iamalittlepepper is on a distinguished road

Actually I keep a second home in Denmark and drives a Smart Roadster when I spend my third of the time there. So I don't think my views are that Americanized.

The problem for Prius.. is it is still a small car even not just by American standard but also in more densely populated places like Asia.. As with marketing Fit is marketed as a small car with usable space larger than Civic, comparing a Hybrid Fit with a Prius is natural IMO.

The key to Fit's success is IMA is cheaper than Prius.. with all the emission equipment required for Diesel.. it might be more cost effective to just use IMA because Fit is light.

Quote, originally posted by CosworthKid »

And if my opinions are so Euro-centric dont forget yours are Americanised to the full so dont point fingers

Old 05-08-2007, 04:46 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Uberwagon)

Quote, originally posted by Uberwagon »
Relax pal. When someone says they want a Hybrid Fit and you claim that to be "pointless and stupid", you're not only inviting some heat, you're kind of being a jerk too.

That is my personal opinion. Unless u have invented the Jazz/Fit hybrid i see no reason to take it as a personal attack.
Prius costs a hell of a lot more than an average petrol/diesel car of its size. That was my point. If u 2 want to make it sound as if im bashing American ideals or that im being Euro-centric cause of it im sorry. I was under the impression that most buyers of small cars wanted something cheap.
Now im a regualr user of this forum and i enjoy chatting with others and expressing views, sometimes arguing as well (dont we all do that in real life?) But when i make a comment regarding a car or a technology and i make my reasons clear as to why i say it i dont accept being called a jerk.
Maybe neither of us should ever review a car in here as being crap or bad just cause some of us may have aspirations to buy it? I hope im getting my point of view across.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 05-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Uberwagon is on a distinguished road

That is my personal opinion. Unless u have invented the Jazz/Fit hybrid i see no reason to take it as a personal attack.

Actually I did help implement IMA and I have a hand in developing some vehicles "like" this. But I'm not taking offense. Just don't call people who want a care like this "stupid" and then complain about when they get angry with you. Tact.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:32 PM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Default Re: (Uberwagon)

Can we get over this please? U called me a jerk, i didnt call any person stupid unless u consider a hybrid engine to be a member of the human race.

here is my "insulting" comment that u reffer to:

For something as small as a Fit/Jazz i say hybrid is pointless and stupid

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 05-13-2007, 10:04 PM

I am not sure what reality you live in but currently:

1. US upcoming diesel restrictions adds significant cost to drive train.. mainly with requirement of SCR + particulate filters.
2. Honda is late in the diesel game, they don't have a small diesel. (none passed DOT yet)
3. However Honda has IMA and small petrol engines already pass DOT.
4. Jazz is a steel car, it is relatively heavy.
5. Honda is into bring cars to market quickly in order to make a killing.
6. Not to mention Jazz right now only qualify for $1000 gov rebate in Canada + tax free status.. if they move to hybrid, buyers can get the maximym $4000 and Honda can raise the price more than that to make an even bigger profit.

IF the world fits CSS user's reality AR will be making big profits, there will be plenty of gas and there will be no global warming.

Can we get over this please? U called me a jerk, i didnt call any person stupid unless u consider a hybrid engine to be a member of the human race.

here is my "insulting" comment that u reffer to:

For something as small as a Fit/Jazz i say hybrid is pointless and stupid

Old 05-13-2007, 10:26 PM

JB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (iamalittlepepper)

I agree with Cosworth. A hybrid fit is stupid and pointless. First of all, the Fit is small enough to get exceptional fuel economy anyways, and a hybrid system would only add cost and weight that would never recoup their value. If they wanted to offer it in, say, a hatch the size of the Civic, that would make more sense. But in the Fit, its pretty useless. Secondly, with the character and 'personality' of the Fit, a hybrid version would not only NOT make sense, but it would not appeal to people that would otherwise consider a fit. It would ruin the Fit's stellar dynamics and would compromise the car's weight advantage. And it would add a significant amount to the price price which would drive away buyers.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Re: (JB)

Believe it or not.. I doubled check.. actually Fit does not qualify for Canada's automotive energy rebate program (ie its consumption is higher than 6.5 L/100km).. Yaris and Mini fit in the rebate category and gets $1000 off and no taxes.

Not to mention IMA will give a bit more pep at the start... which is a notorious Honda weak point

So Jazz would fit perfectly in the place where Insight is right now.

Modified by iamalittlepepper at 11:46 PM 5/13/2007

Old 05-14-2007, 05:04 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote, originally posted by iamalittlepepper »
I am not sure what reality you live in but

Mate u are more than welcome to buy a Fit hybrid, i wouldnt myself. Thats an opinion and i think ive expressed my reasons for it.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 05-14-2007, 05:10 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

Quote, originally posted by iamalittlepepper »
Believe it or not.. I doubled check.. actually Fit does not qualify for Canada's automotive energy rebate program (ie its consumption is higher than 6.5 L/100km).. Yaris and Mini fit in the rebate category and gets $1000 off and no taxes.

Not to mention IMA will give a bit more pep at the start... which is a notorious Honda weak point

So Jazz would fit perfectly in the place where Insight is right now.

And u tell me about which reality i live in...we are discussing the next Fit, soon to replace the current model. Surely u dont compare the how-many-years-old current model with the all-new car that we havent even seen or know exact spec yet? Every manufacturer adapts to new regulations and surely the new car will as well

MAKE
MINE
FORD