Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Uberwagon is on a distinguished road

I love Corvettes too but it seems like lot of "Vette people" tend to overstate its abilities. It's a phenomenal amount of performance but handling is not all that. Yes, the skidpad numbers are excellent but nobody drives on a skidpad. On the track and the back roads, these things don't have that progressive traction that lets go predictably like the "big name" cars do. The road feel is mysterious, the ride intolerably jittery, etc. It's really not a bash though -- Where else can you get a 400hp speed monster for what a 3 series sedan goes for?! It's just that it's not nearly as refined as the cars it's frequently compared to.

That said, I wonder how driveable this SS/Stingray will be. I mean, 700 horsepower is on the edge of control. The real challenge for Chevrolet is figuring out how to let drivers put that power down without spinning into a ditch. A lot Z06's have been ending up that way (the general public and 507hp being a bad combo) so I'll be curious to see what electronics they have to help control this beast.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:28 PM

Chris_Doane is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (6speed)

Quote, originally posted by 6speed »
Don't ask where I got this... But it isn't a photoshop.

Where'd you get it?

Old 05-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Default Re: (Chris_Doane)

Yeah, that photo shows it without the badges taped. Seems GM's security isn't what it used to be. I wonder about that plexi hood though. It's a bit "Corvette Summer" if you ask me.

Hey Doane, DCX is supposedly roadtesting heavily camo'd Challenger mules on Sunset this week and I saw a suspicious Charger taped up on Olympic and Sawtelle this morning. Get your telephoto on that, would you!

Old 05-10-2007, 01:38 PM

iamalittlepepper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Comrade)

Unless the engine sits much lower than a non Z06 (which I don't think it does).. dry sump advantages are a bit over stated... especially on the street.

Also don't forget about the Porsches;)

Quote, originally posted by Comrade »
The Z06 is the only car under $100K with dry-sump lubrication.

The terrible ride seems like the only flaw, so I can imagine how the hard-core version of this thing will be like. :-/

Old 05-10-2007, 01:56 PM

JB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (iamalittlepepper)

Quote, originally posted by iamalittlepepper »
Unless the engine sits much lower than a non Z06 (which I don't think it does).. dry sump advantages are a bit over stated... especially on the street.

Also don't forget about the Porsches;)

Well, dry sump does allow the engine to sit lower, but it also allows for bigger engines in same-sized engine compartments.

Quote »
A dry sump affords many advantages, namely increased oil capacity, decreased parasitic loss and a lower center of gravity for the engine. Because the reservoir is external, the oil pan can be much smaller in a dry sump system, allowing the engine to be placed lower in the vehicle; in addition, the external reservoir can be as large as desired, whereas a larger oil pan raises the engine even further. Increased oil capacity by using a larger external reservoir leads to cooler oil. Furthermore, dry sump designs are not susceptible to the oil starvation problems wet sump systems suffer from if the oil sloshes in the oil pan, temporarily uncovering the oil pump pickup tube. Having the pumps external to the engine allows them to be maintained or replaced more easily, as well.

In an engine as powerful as this one, a dry sump system will allow the engineers to incorporate a larger oil capacity which will also help the engine to remain cooler.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Default Re: (JB)

Exactly. And given the horsepower and expense of this vehicle, it is likely being developed for those wishing to actually use it: On a track.

In addition to lateral G's of corners, the verticle G's of fast rises and deep plummets on some tracks can adversely affect oil pickup (Nurburgring, Laguna Seca). Over a couple laps or a quick blast on an empty road that's okay. But constant abuse, as in an endurance race or for vehicles whose operational life has a considerable percent of track time require dry sump.

Again, despite some shortcomings, Corvette is an awesome amount of kit for the buck.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:24 AM
CSS Oldtimer

knicks125 is on a distinguished road

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2760
Old 05-18-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: (JB)

I am always under the impression GM intends the Z whatever to be an enhanced version of the base Corvette? So the Z's engine will just be an "enhancement" of the base Corvette, so the basic engine size have to fit both the C and the Z.

Quote, originally posted by JB »

Well, dry sump does allow the engine to sit lower, but it also allows for bigger engines in same-sized engine compartments.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Planner

zendog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Uberwagon)

Quote, originally posted by Uberwagon »

That said, I wonder how driveable this SS/Stingray will be. I mean, 700 horsepower is on the edge of control. The real challenge for Chevrolet is figuring out how to let drivers put that power down without spinning into a ditch. A lot Z06's have been ending up that way (the general public and 507hp being a bad combo) so I'll be curious to see what electronics they have to help control this beast.

Agree. And a timely call given the pics on Edmunds with it lined up with an F599. Ferrari has frequently said that their future challenge is not in making the horsepower but in making it usable. For even the best drivers, 700+ horsepower borders on uncontrollable.

The brilliant mannetino traction control in the 599 & 430 Ferrari is evidence of that thinking and makes those cars vastly better than others at real driveability. I wonder if the SS/Z-Oh-Sh*t!/StingRay will have such a system? It sure should!

Old 05-18-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: (zendog)

I think Corvette and Ferrari or actually most modern cars shares the same array of sensors (throttle, steering, wheels for traction, steering) The Mannetino is new by combining a handy selector on the steering wheel. The key difference among the car is how to calibrate the car without being too safe (Mercedes) that would be enough to disrupt driving pleasure.

Honestly I think in such scenario as traction control, having leaf springs that is hard to swap out is actually a good thing, because it limits the parameters that the engineers have to car about (same can be said for MR suspension of the Ferraris).

I think in the end, if you want big power from factory with safety.. you just have to limit aftermarket tuning capabilities to an extent.

Quote, originally posted by zendog »

The brilliant mannetino traction control in the 599 & 430 Ferrari is evidence of that thinking and makes those cars vastly better than others at real driveability. I wonder if the SS/Z-Oh-Sh*t!/StingRay will have such a system? It sure should!

Closed Thread