There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2007, 07:50 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mzoltarp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Roadster44)

Quote, originally posted by Roadster44 »
Or one could buy an 03 BMW M5 for $40k with 400hp and a pretty good interior.

Don't get me wrong I love the Corvette, I really like it, but there are options to this.

Oh puhlease! An M3 cannot hope to substitute for a Corvette and vice versa.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm better than you

kid is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kid Send a message via MSN to kid
Default Re: (mzoltarp)

that definitely says m5
Old 04-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

Uberwagon is on a distinguished road

Quote, originally posted by mzoltarp »

Oh puhlease! An M3 cannot hope to substitute for a Corvette and vice versa.

They're much closer market competitors than you might think. A lot of potential Corvette sales are lost to the prestige, practicality and refinement afforded by the M3. Quantitative data shows that they have actually been cross-shopped quite often. They both share similar buyer psychographics (the BMW is younger but they're both predominantly male, aggressive, monied and image-conscious) and are naturally track-friendly vehicles with more performance potential than public roads afford.

The new M3 might be a larger jump in price next year but the performance figures and buyer base will probably be reasonably close.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:38 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mzoltarp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Uberwagon)

Quote, originally posted by Uberwagon »
Quantitative data shows that they have actually been cross-shopped quite often.

And as any Statistics 101 student can tell you, quantitative data can be inherently flawed because all it looks at are numbers. Quantitative data would look at test drive records of Corvette and M3 retail spaces, for example, and if Joe Schmoe test drove a Corvette and an M3 it concludes they were cross shopped. Quantitative data would ignore whether or not the same Joe Schmoe test drove a Rabbit, Kia Rio, and Bentley Flying Spur as well.

Quote, originally posted by Uberwagon »

They both share similar buyer psychographics... but they're both predominantly male, aggressive, monied and image-conscious) ...

Who would have imagined that? Aggressive males with money are into Corvettes and M3s? Stop the presses! LOL

Old 05-06-2007, 03:09 PM

Roadster44 is on a distinguished road

I could tell you whom I see driving Vettes at least in Michigan, but then I'd get banned for a lifetime.

Point is this - does GM want the Vette to be cross-shopped or does it want it to be the car which people will want to own and be able to enjoy as an every day driver?

If you look at not just the sports car market in $50k+ range, but offerings in other segments in same 50k price spectrum, it becomes obvious that there is little room for complacency and excuses. Product must be solid in all areas.

Modified by Roadster44 at 10:13 PM 5/6/2007

Old 05-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Uberwagon is on a distinguished road

Mzoltarp, I think you misunderstood the statistics. Quantitative cross-shop data is methodologically sound *projectable* information collected from recent car buyers on what cars they shopped against the one they purchased. It is not a "test-drive record" that puts Kias against a high-end performance vehicle. It is a self-reported guage of what cars buyers actually consider to determine which ones compete against each other in the real world (as opposed to the marketing department's best guess).

In this case, M3's and Corvettes are reported to be direct competitors by those who buy them, although that may well change with the changing pricepoints. For example, Porsche's 911 has been a direct competitor in the past but is cited somewhat less frequently as the average selling price of the Porsche has risen.

But if you must know, qualitative research does indicate that Corvette is frequently rejected based on user image (the old gold-chained Vinnie thing) and interior quality (as cited here). This is not "projectable" data per se but helps diagnose for product planning what problems a model like Corvette needs to overcome to compete with a particular rival.

GM is getting a lot of their problems worked out though so the C6 was a major step forward in this regard. By the C7 I'm sure this'll be a more serious sales competitor worldwide.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:23 AM

iamalittlepepper is on a distinguished road

Production number wise M3 vs Corvette c6 are different.. one is 5k vs low 30k / year.

Most places probably won't let prospective "test drive" the new M3.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:09 PM

I doubt a dealership will turn someone down if they want to drive a $50-60k car. You never know who has money these days, if it's either a 22 year old "blue blood" kid, or someone in their 50s.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:26 PM

iamalittlepepper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Roadster44)

I think it really depends on the stock level. The dealership which I frequent, let me took out one of the first 335i cabs, even if it was sitting in the showroom on a stand.

The problem with M3 and its ilk is there is just not a lot of stock around. Most orders are custom, so it is very rare to have a spare car sitting around.

Quote, originally posted by Roadster44 »
I doubt a dealership will turn someone down if they want to drive a $50-60k car. You never know who has money these days, if it's either a 22 year old "blue blood" kid, or someone in their 50s.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:30 PM

That's very true, but that could be the case with any given "hot" car. Good luck finding an MPS3 to drive around in MI.