There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

Uberwagon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (thedesigner)

Couldn't agree more.

The academic debate of which is the better car totally ignores the fact that these are not purchased to be "street raced" and that tenths of a second in acceleration spreadsheets do not a good car make. Sorry, but that's for kids in Acura Integras. Naturally, there's some intangible bragging/marketing rights to having the quicker car. Ultimately though, it comes down to personal preferance of different brands of style, performance, feel and practical need or financial options.

The RS4, no matter how you slice it, is not as track-balanced as an M3 or 911, awesome as it is. If you like your track days and have a nice tire budget the other two are probably more fun. But if you live in the snowbelt, have a kid in a child-seat and enjoy keeping a slightly lower profile in the neighborhood, well then the RS4 choice is easy.

Personally (and this is just me), I'd opt for the M3 if I were in the market. You can't beat the combo of track-ready spec with the practical packaging for everyday driving.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:37 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Comrade is on a distinguished road

Good point, well explained. If I had another car, I'd get the Z06 or Porsche or GTR. If not, then it'd be either M3 or RS4 or M5.

But it's still a close call if you seperate them like this. If there was a track near where I live, I would Definitely get the Z06, otherwise probably the 911.

I could see the RS4 selling better in the snowbelt than outside it and the M3, vice versa. I know that modern tires are very sticky, but IMO it's still not enough because of rain, so I'd probably chose the RS4 over M3 and easily over the more expensive M5 despite the fact that I live outside the snowbelt.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:13 PM

iamalittlepepper is on a distinguished road

RS4 sells quite well in Vancouver, BC where we have skill hills.. but it is still rare.. compared with M3.

Most people have multiple cars for different purposes.

Personally my e39 M5 hibernates in the winter and I use my X5 to go to the hills and e36 for daily runs in the winter.

I wonder how would M3 fit into BMW's strategy of growing up 3 series and introducing the 1er..

Old 05-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

Uberwagon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (iamalittlepepper)

Until next year, the M3 and RS4 are pretty far apart in price. RS4s are around $70k+ if memory serves. M3's ran around $50k or so. It's supposedly moving up in price significantly though so it's anyone's guess what'll take it's place in that pricepoint. An M1 sure might be nice.

Comrade, I like the quote in your signature. Did you know Honda is the single major manufacturer not lobbying against increasing U.S. fuel efficiency standards? It's painful for everyone but sadly necessary and overdue. Even M3s need to get better mileage! I know, "boo hiss".

Old 05-10-2007, 12:27 AM

iamalittlepepper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Uberwagon)

Hence they are introducing small improvement like starter/alternator combined units etc.. small steps.

Quote, originally posted by Uberwagon »
Until next year, the M3 and RS4 are pretty far apart in price. RS4s are around $70k+ if memory serves. M3's ran around $50k or so. It's supposedly moving up in price significantly though so it's anyone's guess what'll take it's place in that pricepoint. An M1 sure might be nice.

Comrade, I like the quote in your signature. Did you know Honda is the single major manufacturer not lobbying against increasing U.S. fuel efficiency standards? It's painful for everyone but sadly necessary and overdue. Even M3s need to get better mileage! I know, "boo hiss".

Old 05-10-2007, 04:13 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mzoltarp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Uberwagon)

Quote, originally posted by Uberwagon »

The academic debate of which is the better car totally ignores the fact that these are not purchased to be "street raced" and that tenths of a second in acceleration spreadsheets do not a good car make. Sorry, but that's for kids in Acura Integras.

Moreover at the price these babies command, it comes down to what kind of automotive jewelry does a person want to wear. While this eschelon on vehicles ups the performance ante in each new generation it's of dubious merit because (1) the performance is not able to be extracted legally on the street, (2) a 0-60 acceleration time below 6 seconds is pretty dime a dozen and a sub 6 second time is pretty flippin fast, (3) these cars all tend to be flavors of the moment (i.e. wow there's a new M3 oh wait now there's a new RS4 oh wait now there's a new AMG oh wait...).

All are excellent but wildly overpriced cars that for the price had better be damn good because they have to be at that price.

Which one looks best on you? There you have your answer.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:01 PM

fippsey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (mzoltarp)

i know its early days yet but any news on a M3 csl?

or a M6 csl for tht matter??

Old 05-13-2007, 09:53 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Comrade is on a distinguished road

Darn, to retract what I said earlier, this thing is def going to cost over 60K because it's pretty much the same price as the RS4 in the UK. I'm guessing more like $63K now.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:56 PM

spikes111 is on a distinguished road

Here's a good product information bulletin from south africa

http://www.m3post.com/forums/s...62881

Good stuff.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:16 PM

spikes111 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (spikes111)

A new set of pics of red and silver ones from testing on the "ring"

http://www.m3post.com/forums/s...64617