Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2020, 12:44 AM

ndjan is on a distinguished road

I've also heard a couple of horror stories regarding the Leaf's battery degradation. I read somewhere that Nissan had an eight year warranty on the batteries that includes range decline of over 1/3. Personally, that's enough for me not to worry about it.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:26 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
A couple of minor complaints - I hate when the rear wiper isn't centered on the glass.
I like it much better this way, so the wiper is centered in resting position rather than on one side.

Quote:
Also those two fins on the roof seem a little odd - I guess they couldn't fit it all into one?
You would be surprised by the number of antennae modern cars need. Just look here for reference.
https://www.motorpasion.com/seat/no-...coche-exterior
Old 07-18-2020, 06:22 PM

62Lincoln is on a distinguished road

I guess I have to go against the tide of opinion on this one and say that it's not impressive and certainly not a world beater in appearance. In 5 years this design will be lost in the ongoing sea of anonymous CUV's that are running around on the roads of the world. Its design is not precedent setting, but precedent following, and although it will have its 5 minutes of distinctiveness in the market, that will be the end of it.

All that said, kudos to Nissan for giving this EV a design that looks like a middle of the market CUV, instead of whatever description might be applied to the design of the mishappen Leaf.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:20 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
I like it much better this way, so the wiper is centered in resting position rather than on one side.

You would be surprised by the number of antennae modern cars need. Just look here for reference.
https://www.motorpasion.com/seat/no-...coche-exterior
Except then when it wipes it only clears the side of the rear window instead of an even area centered on the glass, which is much better for visibility.

Re: the fins, the link you provided still only shows one fin though, for all those antennae.

Last edited by pjl35; 07-18-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:15 PM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
All that said, kudos to Nissan for giving this EV a design that looks like a middle of the market CUV
Genuine question: what other SUV looks like the Ariya (at least in the US)? It def doesn't have the shape of a traditional SUV, and it doesn't look like an SUV "coupe" to me, either.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:13 AM

ndjan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Genuine question: what other SUV looks like the Ariya (at least in the US)? It def doesn't have the shape of a traditional SUV, and it doesn't look like an SUV "coupe" to me, either.
There’s some Ford Edge in the design. And some Mercedes EQC.

It’s not so much how much it looks like other vehicles as it is how much it’s strayed from conventional design. I personally like it but it’s as edgy as stuff coming from Kia, for example. They’re doing great work, but it’s not like this is as drastic as a cybertruck. I’d argue Nissan’s own Murano redesigns were more drastic when they came out.

Last edited by ndjan; 07-19-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:57 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Re: the fins, the link you provided still only shows one fin though, for all those antennae.
I was not saying that it HAS to have two fins. I just wanted to highlight the fact that modern cars need more antennae than we may think. Maybe the Ariya has even more than the Leon, maybe not, maybe a larger fin would suffice...I don't know.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:07 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Gotcha; thanks for the clarification
Old 07-19-2020, 04:08 PM

62Lincoln is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
For starters:

Old 07-19-2020, 04:48 PM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

For me it's all about the surfacing. Sure, it has a lightbar that isn't too different from others, but the way it's detailed (integration of the Nissan name into it, the seamless panel below it without a division like the Venza, the way the lower bumper captures the sensor bumps) is incredibly clean. The crisp shoulder line that runs the full length of the car from the headlights to taillight upper edge.

It's not innovative for any specific cues, it's just very well resolved and not overdone like a lot of cars today. I'd compare it to a Velar in this way (both very clean, handsome designs).

And while the Murano was certainly wild-looking when it released, it wasn't without fault. It had plenty of the awkward transitional changes from the concept. I genuinely can't find much if anything to criticize this in comparison. This is reaching the upper limits of modern car design until we go full Cyber Truck, but I don't necessarily think we should go that far.