currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2020, 03:40 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough
Default 2021 Cupra el-Born

Well, the next Cupra model, this time a slightly modified VW ID.3

https://www.netcarshow.com/cupra/2021-el-born/

Technically, not much is released yet, but it will use the largest battery option of the ID.3, namely the 77kWH one, giving it up to 500kms of WLTP range in the not overly realistic WLTP; Whilst the released acceleration figure of an eye catching 2.9 sec. sounds great, it is also only 0 - 50 km/h (far from slow, but unusual to release that time), so likely the drive train is very similar to a regular VW ID.3 with the large battery, which would mean a 150kw electric engine, despite Cupra basically positioning it as an electric hot hatch, unlike Volkswagen. That also means that pricing will likely be along the top end of the ID.3 range.

The exterior is mostly identical behind the A-pillar (apart form the trim on the C-pillar, but that seems to be just different vinyls), but the front end is more aggressive, and whilst at first glance the interior seems mostly identical too, the part behind the instrument and touch screen binnacles is actually different, with slightly different air wens and moldings, plus a longer and higher center stack, and different door cards

Production will take place - unsurprisingly - alongside the ID.3 in VW's Zwickau plant...

So I guess in similar move to MQB cross overs, we will now see a flood of MEB cars for every brand with only minimal differences, again, I think this would make a nice SEAT, but as a bespoke performance brand, I still fail to see the purpose of Cupra so far, given this is again mostly a rebadge (even if it is a trendy one).

Old 07-08-2020, 03:48 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Easily the most attractive of these models thus far - both inside and outside.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:55 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, making it a Cupra instead of a SEAT is a smart move. It places the car differently and probably a higher price will be more justified. See, higher prices are not yet a deal-breaker for those wanting an electric car.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Ascariss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppu View Post
In my opinion, making it a Cupra instead of a SEAT is a smart move. It places the car differently and probably a higher price will be more justified. See, higher prices are not yet a deal-breaker for those wanting an electric car.
Same thought, they can charge more for it. I do wonder the premium it will have over the id 3.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:00 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Except it's not "instead of" right? It's in addition to the SEAT version; I haven't seen any reports that this is sitting in the place of the SEAT.

Last edited by pjl35; 07-10-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:31 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Reppu is on a distinguished road

I understood otherwise. But yes, I haven't heard any official info about it.