Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2020, 02:04 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Naga Royal Guard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Future of the Prius?

With the Rav4 Hybrid / Rav4 Prime (moniker transplanted from the Prius) the top selling hybrid in Toyota's lineup, is the Prius headed for the graveyard of nameplates? There is a lot of equity behind this brand itself and it's only tarnish is among "car guys" who need an easy target. An easy target which has profited it's maker and clients quite well.

In any case, should Prius be reinvented as a unique and quirky CUV or could it be Toyota's first modern fully electric vehicle?
Old 07-19-2020, 06:59 PM

exl500 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga Royal Guard View Post
With the Rav4 Hybrid / Rav4 Prime (moniker transplanted from the Prius) the top selling hybrid in Toyota's lineup, is the Prius headed for the graveyard of nameplates? There is a lot of equity behind this brand itself and it's only tarnish is among "car guys" who need an easy target. An easy target which has profited it's maker and clients quite well.

In any case, should Prius be reinvented as a unique and quirky CUV or could it be Toyota's first modern fully electric vehicle?
I think the latter makes sense.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:13 PM
CSS Oldtimer

And the Venza is returning as a hybrid only model. Super saturated SUV lineup over at Toyota.

But nothing to complete w/ the Telluride.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:09 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

The Highlander is a direct competitor to the Telluride in both size and price (only 2 inches shorter in length and wheelbase, both of which put it closer to the Telluride than the Sorento), even though the 3rd row is a bit tighter in the Highlander.

Re: the Prius though, I completely agree with the latter suggestion: make it their first full EV and keep the prime as the plug-in option as well. They could even revive it as a sub brand like they did with the C and V if they want to offer multiple EVs.

Last edited by pjl35; 07-19-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:55 AM
CSS Oldtimer

2o6 is on a distinguished road

If I recall correctly, I think the Prius is still one of the top selling models in Japan.

I think the Prius will likely continue on as is; maybe putting its focus on efficiency, letting the Corolla hybrid or Camry pick up the slack with better performing variants.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the C-HR hybrid, Corolla Cross, or Yaris Cross make their way to the US.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:32 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
The Highlander is a direct competitor to the Telluride in both size and price (only 2 inches shorter in length and wheelbase, both of which put it closer to the Telluride than the Sorento), even though the 3rd row is a bit tighter in the Highlander.
2 inches is somewhat significant but amazing what the Telluride's proportions achieve it just fills the same space envelope much more with it's more upright design while the Highlander is similar sized vehicle yet looks much smaller. Heights are similar too. Would have guessed an 8 inch difference.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:00 AM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Good point - they really should have increased the Highlander’s size with this new generation, since it was already on the small end of this segment and Kia/Hyundai’s new entrants make the segment even tougher.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:54 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Good point - they really should have increased the Highlander’s size with this new generation, since it was already on the small end of this segment and Kia/Hyundai’s new entrants make the segment even tougher.
I think the introduction of both the Venza and - so far not internationally, but that'S IMO just a question of time - somehow indicate that the next RAV-4 will grow (I bet on a proper 7 seat, Sorrento sized vehicle), and thus the Highlander can and will grow as well. Granted, both are rather fresh in the lineup, but also I'M certain the replacements are already in work....

To the Prius: I think Toyota would be wise to make their most innovative - and affordable, because the Prius always was - alternative propulsion car a Prius, be it a next gen Hybrid, EV, or even a more affordable Hydrogen car below the Mirai (which,after all, is more of a Lexus from the next gen on). I don't think Hybrid is irrelevant so far, the RAV-4/VEnza pretty much offer what a Prius offers in a more normal package - as does the COrolla - so I wouldn't be surprised if the next Prius get#S some next gen. HYbrid as well, whatever that might be...
Old 07-20-2020, 01:29 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

I think the name plate of Prius is on very borrowed time. Prime will take over - as (I haven't researched, but have read) sales of Prime (or intent of sales as capacity for production is very limited) exceed those of Prius. Couple this up w/ a last generation design that was horrific and just plain weird (inside and out) - it's time to put that to pasture.

I can see Prime being the new subbrand of Toyota for their green halo. It's a shame - Toyota largely is responsible for the mass market hybrid market - and have thoroughly screwed it up, and gave the green moniker to Tesla (and coming soon VW).
Old 07-21-2020, 02:31 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I think an Electric Rav-4 or Gen2 Venza could really turn things around quickly for Toyota. They did, after all, have an electric Gen 1 Rav-4 (there was one at a street-side house on the way to my Dr which I saw often growing up) and the Gen 3 Rav-4 EV was co developed with Tesla.

The electric Lotus Elise has me rather anxious. I just hope the damn thing is reliable.