Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2020, 12:53 AM
The Lurker

Nicktyelor is on a distinguished road

I'm optimistic.

The interior is quite stunning, but the all-digital will be an ergonomic mess. I really love the new Merc wheel, I think it debuted on the refreshed E?

I keep seeing Genesis referenced and can't for the life of me see any of it. This just looks like a tweaked W222 (the grille now has two extra upper edges).

And I don't see any Accord whatsoever in the rear... It's just the CLS lights stretched in a pinch.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:21 AM

Twinport is on a distinguished road

This looks too sporty to be an S Class. Itís not imposing enough in my opinion. Looks great inside and out though.

Iím intrigued by the driverís side dashboard top.....the cutout seems to be facing the wrong way to be a head up display. Hologram technology perhaps?

Note that itís photoíd at a scrapyard, with disguise ripped off. Fully protected interior though? Surely not a spent test car...
Old 05-13-2020, 07:44 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Personally, I don't think it improves anywhere over the current generation; I'm not a fan of those new triangular rear lights with the chrome liner in between, it looks Asian, not Mercedes; More like a Mazda than a S-Class; The front end gives me Genesis vibes, again, okay for a Genesis, just not a Benz;
The all screen interior will naturally impress tech loving motor journalists, less so in everyday use full of finger smudges and reflecting sunlight, and the whole doesn't feel as expensive as a Mercedes could and should; Screens are not high tech or expensive, it#S not say 2001 anymore; Very digital readout ages horribly, and thus will look dated soon; Also, the first thing that usually breaks in older cars is electronics, specifically screens and ICE; Now if that is al your interior is, good luck with an S-CLass as a vintage car in future, or even as a second hand out of warranty used car....
Old 05-13-2020, 08:23 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinport View Post
Fully protected interior though? Surely not a spent test car...
Yeah, I noticed that, too. The plastic protector look like... a car that's being shipped to the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Now if that is al your interior is, good luck with an S-CLass as a vintage car in future, or even as a second hand out of warranty used car....
I agree w/ you, but.... Not sure about the rest of the world, but I think most luxury cars in the US (at S-Class level and below) are probably leased, aside from Lexus (b/c of outstanding resale value and reliability). So MB just needs the screens to last for 36 mos (which is a common lease term). I live in LA, where MBs are very popular.... But it is very unusual to see an S-Class older than the current generation, and this is true pretty much of all flagship German cars. Germans cars in the US have the well-deserved reputation of being expensive to maintain and are generally not particularly popular to hold for the long term (i.e., beyond the warranty period).
Old 05-13-2020, 09:10 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
Yeah, I noticed that, too. The plastic protector look like... a car that's being shipped to the dealership.

I agree w/ you, but.... Not sure about the rest of the world, but I think most luxury cars in the US (at S-Class level and below) are probably leased, aside from Lexus (b/c of outstanding resale value and reliability). So MB just needs the screens to last for 36 mos (which is a common lease term). I live in LA, where MBs are very popular.... But it is very unusual to see an S-Class older than the current generation, and this is true pretty much of all flagship German cars. Germans cars in the US have the well-deserved reputation of being expensive to maintain and are generally not particularly popular to hold for the long term (i.e., beyond the warranty period).
Well, the experience with expensive repairs only not happening in your typical 3 year lease is likely not only a US experience - I'd say most Europeans agree as well, as well as about the general costliness of the maintenance and repairs;

It's just that sa a W124/W126 Mercedes was also a great, tank like built and reliable used car, that you could hold on for a very long time; And that is very certainly not true of these modern units. And, again, it's also about looking classy, even after a few ears; Look at an Audi interior and it'S materials and details form the early 2000s, and then think of a 15/20y.old screen, and it will not be as good to look at; ANd probably not expensive to fix on your classic car, but simply impossible....
Old 05-13-2020, 01:59 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

There's now a video of the interior as well: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/05/20...new-spy-shots/
Old 05-14-2020, 07:01 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
Well, the experience with expensive repairs only not happening in your typical 3 year lease is likely not only a US experience - I'd say most Europeans agree as well, as well as about the general costliness of the maintenance and repairs;
Oh, that's the thing.... MB, BMW, and Audi all either cover routine maintenance for a 3-yr period of offer pre-paid maintenance plans. So the cost of ownership during a lease for a luxury car is quite predictable and, since there is not much interest in owning a car past the lease (and warranty period), I thin most luxury-car owners are not interested in reliability, as long as the service station provides a loaner.

Agree that older MBs were different in the sense that they give the feeling they could run forever, if you maintained them well. But I think most luxury car buyers are interested in tech, so the idea of owning something w/o the latest tech defeats of the purpose of getting a luxury car (since most Americans are not interested in how a car actually drives).
Old 07-09-2020, 06:32 AM
CSS Oldtimer

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...-screens-tech/

Article mentions that the HUD will utilize augmented reality and will span 77 inches (!!!) on the windshield. I guess that explains the huge hole behind the gauge screen....

Edit: some more info and shadowy interior pics here:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ux-3d-display/

Fingerprint scanner, in-car purchases, 3D displays, and 5 screens total. I dare say that Mercedes has out-Tesla'd Tesla.

Last edited by paranoidgarliclover; 07-09-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:40 AM
CSS Oldtimer

A few shadowy studio pics of the gauge, dash, and back seat screens in action. I think I read in another article that the HVAC controls are also present on the screen. Not sure why you wouldn't just use actual buttons in that case, but....

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/09/...#slide-2248194

Last edited by paranoidgarliclover; 07-12-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:13 PM

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
A few shadowy studio pics of the gauge, dash, and back seat screens in action. I think I read in another article that the HVAC controls are also present on the screen. Not sure why you wouldn't just use actual buttons in that case, but....

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/09/...#slide-2248194
You can see the HVAC controls on the screen in some of those linked pics