Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Uberwagon is on a distinguished road

I love Corvettes too but it seems like lot of "Vette people" tend to overstate its abilities. It's a phenomenal amount of performance but handling is not all that. Yes, the skidpad numbers are excellent but nobody drives on a skidpad. On the track and the back roads, these things don't have that progressive traction that lets go predictably like the "big name" cars do. The road feel is mysterious, the ride intolerably jittery, etc. It's really not a bash though -- Where else can you get a 400hp speed monster for what a 3 series sedan goes for?! It's just that it's not nearly as refined as the cars it's frequently compared to.

That said, I wonder how driveable this SS/Stingray will be. I mean, 700 horsepower is on the edge of control. The real challenge for Chevrolet is figuring out how to let drivers put that power down without spinning into a ditch. A lot Z06's have been ending up that way (the general public and 507hp being a bad combo) so I'll be curious to see what electronics they have to help control this beast.