Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 AM

blackcipanz is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 Proton Perdana

The long serving Proton's flagship has been replaced. The Proton Perdana, an 8th generation Honda Accord in a rebadge activity, and long wheelbase model came along too.

Standard version:

Long wheelbase version:

The fully rebodied version will come in 18 months as a 2nd phase first product of Proton-Honda collaboration.

Last edited by blackcipanz; 12-13-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: wrong grammar
Old 12-13-2013, 01:17 PM
CSS Oldtimer

caarmike is on a distinguished road

I clicked this link fully expecting a Mitsubishi rebadge. Color me surprised Proton!

And an Accord limo? So pimping! Such gangsta!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caarmike View Post
I clicked this link fully expecting a Mitsubishi rebadge. Color me surprised Proton!

And an Accord limo? So pimping! Such gangsta!
Around 5 years ago they were experimenting with rebadging Mitsubishi 380, but it did not materialize. In 2010, even Nissan Fuga was said to be a candidate. The end product however, is this car.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:07 AM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Dumb question: Why aren't they making the current American Accord rather than the last one? Is "our" (i.e. NA) Accord sold there? If so, won't buyers know this is the old Accord and pass?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

ToyotaFreak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Dumb question: Why aren't they making the current American Accord rather than the last one? Is "our" (i.e. NA) Accord sold there? If so, won't buyers know this is the old Accord and pass?
The current SEA Accord (Similar to the American one.) is also assembled locally at the Malaysian Honda factory for domestic consumption.

The 8G Accord that you see here is just a stop gap measure and only meant to replace the ancient Perdana (Based on the Mitsubishi Eterna, a derivative of the 1994 Galant.) used in the Malaysian government fleet.

As per the original post, a completely redesigned model (Using the previous gen. Accord platform.) will be released for public consumption around two years time. It will be interesting to see if the 2.0 Petronas developed engine will be used in the redesigned car (Proton acquired all the rights for the engine at the end of last year.).

For further reading on the Perdana above, see below:
http://paultan.org/2013/12/11/new-pr...erdana-accord/
http://www.motortrader.com.my/news/n...rime-minister/

Articles on the Petronas-developed engine:
http://paultan.org/2012/12/11/report...ne-technology/
http://paultan.org/2013/04/24/proton...acement-model/

Partnering with Honda, I really hope they do further improvements to the fit & finish of their future offerings.

Getting behind the wheel of the Prevé in Australia, it is an improvement compared to their past cars, but still not up there with the Japanese or Koreans yet.

Last edited by ToyotaFreak; 12-14-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Banned

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFreak View Post
...As per the original post, a completely redesigned model (Using the previous gen. Accord platform.) will be released for public consumption around two years time...
My point though is, if they are going to go to the trouble of redesigning the previous generation Accord for a debut two years from now, why not just produce the American or European Accord in the current generation platform?
Old 12-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

ToyotaFreak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
My point though is, if they are going to go to the trouble of redesigning the previous generation Accord for a debut two years from now, why not just produce the American or European Accord in the current generation platform?
The previous generation Accord platform is utilized most likely to keep costs down. The previous Perdana had always been a low-volume model in the Proton range and the management wouldn't be able to justify spending a lot for a small market (Short of ultra-tiny markets like Singapore & Brunei, the Perdana was never exported to major markets like the UK or Australia.). Also, the current owners of Proton (DRB Hicom) manage the assembly and distribution of Honda cars/ components in Malaysia which might also explain it.

Another reason why they might not want to use the new Accord as the basis;
Malaysian vehicle buyers/ owners can be fussy/ unrealistic at times (e.g. Expecting a budget priced/ mid-range car to have the same quality and/ or features of a BMW/ Mercedes or be as quiet as a Lexus.) and also wouldn't be happy if there is a cheaper & better version of their 'original' car (The Lancer-based Inspira 1.8/ 2.0 comes to mind. I remember the local armchair bashers knocking Proton for producing a license-built, or as they prefer to call it, 'fake' Lancer.).

I know this sounds ridiculous, but just the way things are over there from my observation on the local forums and on conversations with people there.

Last edited by ToyotaFreak; 12-14-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:52 AM

Cool

The current and past Honda Accord in Malaysia is always similar to the American Accord, thats why they cant recycled the American's Accord. But if Proton localize European Accord, that will be marvelous. Malaysian however based on my observation prefers to buy a conservative car regardless of how 'sporty' the may sound in the car forum.

The car above is actually for goverment consumption for now. A greater revision will be done to the public car which wont be available even next year. I doubt Proton will change the engine, as the Petronas engine they bought is actually manufactured elsewhere for other OEM consumption, at least for now as far as I know.

I tested Proton's new car, the Preve, Suprima S and Exora turbo. Although they have gone a great length to inject the latest of their knowing to these cars. However, the end result is, hmmm, I rather reserve my comment for patriotic reason.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:29 AM

Superamerica is on a distinguished road

I commend Proton for either coming up with their own designs or licensing other companies' designs.
I'm sure they'd save a lot of money if they chose to act like the Chinese and rip-off other companies' designs. But the Malaysians obviously have a sense of shame and self-pride, which is good.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:19 PM
CSS Veteran

Blackraven is on a distinguished road

At the moment, I'd still take Proton over say Mainland Chinese brand vehicles.

Heck, I'd even choose Proton over Perodua (which has always sold Toyota and Daihatsu rebadges yet never even bothered to make an original car of their own.......not even once).