Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

ToyotaFreak is on a distinguished road
Default 2009 Proton Satria Neo CPS

Just launched in the Malaysian market. Only available as a H-Line model there.

-Spiritual successor to the popular Satria GTi.(1998 - 2004)
-1.6 Campro CPS (125 bhp @ 6,500 rpm/ 150Nm @ 4,500 rpm)
-Narrower front (1,467mm) & wider rear (1,483mm) track
-Lotus Handling
-Satria GTI inspired bodykit.
-Unique 16 inch alloy wheels
-Red/ Black Two tone interior with leather trim

http://www.motortrader.com.my/NUS/ar...773/page_m.asp
http://www.zerotohundred.com/2009/au...by-campro-cps/
http://paultan.org/archives/2009/02/...pecifications/
http://paultan.org/archives/2009/02/...ew/#more-12018
http://www.cbt.com.my/features/neocp...s-serious.html
http://www.cbt.com.my/features/neocp...h-gallery.html

For those who don't know what a Satria GTi is;

Old 02-14-2009, 07:19 PM
CSS Oldtimer

SV is on a distinguished road

Not a bad-looking little car, especially for a near-unknown brand. I bet it drives well with their Lotus ownership and all, though I wonder if their build quality has improved at all (Protons are historically downright scary in that regard)
Old 02-14-2009, 07:39 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Rob is on a distinguished road

Protons are shocking, highly un-reccomendable, but this one looks good, if slightly dated.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:07 PM
NISMO by another name..

DATSUN is on a distinguished road

Looks pretty good. They should put Lotus badges all over just to give it some type of recognition like those old Isuzus that Lotus helped with handling.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Ford Verve Concept

Hornbag is on a distinguished road

The base model handles alright, so I guess this would be even better. As for the quality of Protons, well the sales team tried to say they were king of quality, needless to say they were next to the VW dealer so I won that argument. The Satria Neo is their best model by far, it is just far too cheap feeling. So yeah, their other range is SHOCKING!
Old 02-15-2009, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornbag View Post
The base model handles alright, so I guess this would be even better. As for the quality of Protons, well the sales team tried to say they were king of quality, needless to say they were next to the VW dealer so I won that argument. The Satria Neo is their best model by far, it is just far too cheap feeling. So yeah, their other range is SHOCKING!

Well, the quality might be cheap, but so is the price. Besides, the newer batches of the Satria Neo, GEN.2, Persona & Waja (Yup, still sold in its home market.) in Malaysia seemed to have improved (Well, not by much for the first three cars, but still better than having no improvement at all.). Maybe the use of soft touch paint on the interior panels & dashboard would help a little more.

This is a common issue with Proton, the first & second batches are always the worst in quality when an all new Proton is launched, but from the third batch onwards, they start to improve.........

slowly.

Besides, in some markets where the Satria Neo is sold, there's either no alternative for it in the same price range (e.g. Thailand) or the rivals are too expensive (e.g. a grey import Polo 1.4 is above 100,000 Malaysian Ringgit).

Last edited by ToyotaFreak; 02-15-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:17 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Rob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The Satria Neo is their best model by far, it is just far too cheap feeling. So yeah, their other range is SHOCKING!
Yup, the Satira Neo is by far their best acheivement, but it still only gets 2/5 stars from Autocar. The Savvy is bad, too (over 7k, whereas you can get a VW Fox or Mk.1 Ka for 6.5k), and the Gen-2 and Impian are (quite likely) the worst cars on sale in Britain today...

Last edited by Rob; 02-15-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Ford Verve Concept

Hornbag is on a distinguished road

So what if the car is cheap, I still expect some level of build quality and materials that have some sence of quality. Kia and Hyundai can deliver on this (both are cut price with a good level of quality), but Proton have not yet done this. The Satria, like Cosworth said, is their best attempt, and still lacks massivly. That may be well and good for the home Market, but when being compared to others cars around the world, it just lacks. Not to mention it appears to have the same engine as the normal Satria Neo, which is gutless, rough, torque-less, hard to rev and guzzels fuel. The car looks very good in the skin, but it is a half-assed attempt in comparison to its competitors, regardless of price.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So what if the car is cheap, I still expect some level of build quality and materials that have some sence of quality. Kia and Hyundai can deliver on this (both are cut price with a good level of quality), but Proton have not yet done this. The Satria, like Cosworth said, is their best attempt, and still lacks massivly. That may be well and good for the home Market, but when being compared to others cars around the world, it just lacks. Not to mention it appears to have the same engine as the normal Satria Neo, which is gutless, rough, torque-less, hard to rev and guzzels fuel. The car looks very good in the skin, but it is a half-assed attempt in comparison to its competitors, regardless of price.
Actually, the New Satria Neo H-Line does not get the regular Campro engine which was criticized for its torque dip at low revs & high fuel consumption (Which is now replaced by the IAFM version for the Base & Mid-line cars from 2008 onwards in the domestic market).

This one has CPS (Cam Profile Switching) & VIM (Variable Intake Manifold), which was supposed to be introduced earlier with the pre-facelift GEN.2 (But due to the inefficiency of the old management, things got rushed, the Campro engine was released without the cam profiling tech and did not deliver what was promised.).

The Waja (Malaysian version) in 2008 was the first to receive the engine, followed by the GEN.2 and this year, the Satria Neo. This new engine is said to have addressed criticisms of torque dip at low revs & fuel economy (Both received a lot of complaints from owners.).

On another note, Proton will release a turbocharged version of the 1.6 Campro engine (Not sure if it will come with CPS + VIM though) in 2010 or 2011.

http://paultan.org/archives/2008/12/...-by-2010-2011/

Prototype of the Turbocharged engine from the Proton Technology Week last year.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:32 PM
CSS Veteran

ROBonCARS is on a distinguished road

For some reason it reminds me of the Rover 200/25 alot!! Think its the shape of the rear.

If it's old and French or anything BLARG I'm on it.