There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 05-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Here are the 3 versions.

Base: 2.0T 280 HP RWD 6MT $50,000 USD
Top Model: 2.0T 350 HP Hybrid AWD 7DCT or 6MT $75,000 USD
Type-R: 2.0T 400+ HP Hybrid AWD 7DCT $90,000 USD

This is a model that will use the same engine as the Civic Type-R and going after the Cayman should allow Honda to have nice profit margins as the build costs for a Boxster and a Cayman GT4 should be similar.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:02 AM
Raconteur

My fantasy supercar would be a TVR Sagaris LS9 conversion...

Last edited by swizzle; 05-13-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:32 PM

NSX Type-R is in the works. Basically a NSX with more carbon fiber, less weight, and more power. Power is rumored to be in the 600 HP range for the v6 + 150 HP for the electric motors, for a combined output of 750 HP. Price will be around 200-250,000 USD and like the new NSX it will have a lot of nice options, so you can really customize it to your liking.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:57 AM

Honda/Acura is working hard on not just the NSX, but also the baby version which was originally the S2000 competitor. Now the possibility is that the rumored S1000 is actually the S2000 successor, as it might get it's own chassis. Baby NSX will likely be built on the new NSX chassis with longitudinal V6 and AWD. Using the NSX hardware and being built in the same factory will help keep the NSX costs low, and it will have that customization factor that the new NSX has. Pricing for the baby model will be around $90,000-100,000 USD. Might be more expensive once you add those options, like I said Honda/Acura are following the Porsche model of options, options and more options that not only make money for Honda/Acura, but each one unique and customized to their owners. I think the "S1000" is the boxster/Cayman competitor for Acura and this baby NSX is competing with the 911 Crowd, Cayman maybe McLaren 540S in the performance version, while the NSX competes with 911 Turbo and the McLaren 650S.

List of Sports models for the US market

NSX 150-160K USD
Baby NSX 90-100K USD
S1000 (S2K replacement) 45-55K USD (40-60K)
Civic Type R 35-45K USD
Old 07-27-2015, 07:10 AM

Some rumored spec for baby NSX (if on the NSX chassis)

Longitudinal 75 degree DOHC V6 (3.0T/TT)
9 speed eDSG (no manual)
eSH-AWD
Old 07-27-2015, 12:32 PM

Baby NSX makes no sense. S2000 successor should be around 50K, have I4 Turbo (981.2 also gets H4 Turbo), it should be around 1250 kg. dream would be 2 seats, Coupe, mid-front engine, transaxle, but will unfortunately never happen.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:14 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Baby NSX makes no sense. S2000 successor should be around 50K, have I4 Turbo (981.2 also gets H4 Turbo), it should be around 1250 kg. dream would be 2 seats, Coupe, mid-front engine, transaxle, but will unfortunately never happen.
If an S2000 replacement happens, it needs to be an Acura given that it will have a price point too high for a Honda. I think you're spot on with the 50K price, but like the last S2000 it will be way too much for the car you actually get.

The "S2000", "baby NSX", and NSX could have been a great strategy for Acura if they would have delivered them and priced them advantageously. Advantageous pricing and product product product is how you build credibility.

Doing so would have built Acura a performance image that the long-to-arrive, fussy, vapor car NSX will (again) not achieve.

S2000 / $30K base 4 cylinder / 40K turbo 4
RSX / $40K base turbo 4 / 50K turbo + hybrid
NSZ / $60L base turbo V6 / 80K turbo + hybrid

Acura is making the same mistake with the new NSX as the last one. They are going straight to doing a supercar without bothering to earn to credibility of being taken seriously as a maker of sports cars.

Three affordable sports cars that were common sights on the road with people talking about their performance would move Acura away from it's role of being a Japanese Mercury.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
If an S2000 replacement happens, it needs to be an Acura given that it will have a price point too high for a Honda. I think you're spot on with the 50K price, but like the last S2000 it will be way too much for the car you actually get.

The "S2000", "baby NSX", and NSX could have been a great strategy for Acura if they would have delivered them and priced them advantageously. Advantageous pricing and product product product is how you build credibility.

Doing so would have built Acura a performance image that the long-to-arrive, fussy, vapor car NSX will (again) not achieve.

S2000 / $30K base 4 cylinder / 40K turbo 4
RSX / $40K base turbo 4 / 50K turbo + hybrid
NSZ / $60L base turbo V6 / 80K turbo + hybrid

Acura is making the same mistake with the new NSX as the last one. They are going straight to doing a supercar without bothering to earn to credibility of being taken seriously as a maker of sports cars.

Three affordable sports cars that were common sights on the road with people talking about their performance would move Acura away from it's role of being a Japanese Mercury.
Honda doesn't need my credibility. I'd take the NSX over any other supercar. Problem is I don't have money to buy one, so I am useless to Honda, but those that have, will not want a Honda badge (Acura is the same thing). As for the S2000, while I might be able to buy one, it then has to be perfect (unlike the GT86 which I still like nonetheless) and give Cayman GT4 performance for base Cayman price, otherwise I might just get a 4C.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 PM
The Lurker

Is there a sales model success you're basing that off of? That seems counter intuitive to the norm. Make a halo car. Draw in some brand interest. Release lower sports models that benefit from the halo car image. This is how the 911 and Cayman/Boxster work. Given Porsche was taken much more seriously. But then there's Nissan with the GTR, but that doesn't seem to have trickled into their lower models. The fact that Honda has a lineup planned and coming relatively soon after the NSX seems like a good model.

And I know you're not a fan of the OG NSX anyway, but it's release wasn't unbacked by the rest of Honda/Acura's lineup. 90s Honda is golden age Honda. They had very serious cred as layman's sporty cars. Prelude, Legend, CRX, Civic Si were all segment toppers back then. I recognize the problem here though is that's 90% Honda's work/image and 10% leftovers for Acura. They weren't very differentiated then just as they are now.

The thing is that people are complaining about both Honda and Acura from an enthusiast stand point. Acura has the roots to release an NSX. That's the top line to start from and then step down the rest of the sports lineup. The Honda baby NSX has the tooling and manufacturing from the Acura NSX to use and lower the price. If it come in under 100k, that will be a third cheaper than it's big brother. It's spaces far enough from the NSX but can also act as a halo for Honda specifically.

I think it would be neat to see the S2000 replacement paired with an Acura model. Same relationship as the NSX with the Honda counterpart. Price the Honda in the upper 30k range and the Acura starts at 50k. Both mid engined. But i just dont see the sense in that business case. The Acura would compete directly with the Cayman, but it would need to be priced lower for someone to consider purchasing it. The Cayman is just too good right now that I don't think anyone can touch it. Leave that segment alone and shoot slightly lower with a Honda and dig out the market under the Cayman. Then somehow get the S660 over here and price it in the low 20k range.

I don't see Acura holding onto a bunch of sports coupe models. I'm happy with them keeping the NSX and focusing on RWD-ising the rest of their lineup. Better designs, more differentiation, more stately luxury instead of budget luxury. The NSX is to Acura what the R8 is to Audi. Audi doesn't need a bunch of sports coupes. The TT is a lame duck. Their core sellers are what shine and the R8 is the crown jewel. Even if they don't focus on RWD, at least make SHAWD more performance orrieted and get some sports DNA into their sedans as trim levels (A-spec ILX is a good step.)
Old 07-27-2015, 07:26 PM

The socalled S1000 is also the Honda 4C competitor. There are rumors of a whole slew of engines from 1.0T to 2.0T for the Type-R. US will get the 2.0T in a less powerful version and a 330 HP version for the Type-R to compete wtih the 4C.

The new rumored plan is to have multiple options.

1.0T 150 HP (CVT and MT) for 3rd world countries and Base Model
1.0T 220 HP Hybrid (eDCT) for Japan - Hybrid Trim
2.0T 250 HP (8DCT and 6MT) for NA and EU, maybe Japan - Luxury trim
2.0T 330 HP (MT only) Type-R version (4C killer)

Last edited by rv65; 07-27-2015 at 07:30 PM.