Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2019, 12:18 AM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

In other words, they are planning a massive failure for sales like the current one has been.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:01 PM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
In other words, they are planning a massive failure for sales like the current one has been.
TO be fair, I just don't see a lot Jaguar could do to turn a next XJ into a sales success, given it's a brand where wrong decisions in the last 10/15 years haven't exactly moved it up the image ladder, and a large sedan, a dying breed for most brands. Even making stuff a coupe sedan IMO starts to be played out. If they made the stunning Bertone Jag 10 years ago, it would have been a great product they could build upon today, but somehow they thought going boring to go after the Germans is a great idea. Because "out German" the Germans has worked so well for others....
Old 09-12-2019, 01:11 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick78 View Post
TO be fair, I just don't see a lot Jaguar could do to turn a next XJ into a sales success...
Build the Bertone B99
Old 09-12-2019, 01:25 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
Build the Bertone B99
As much as it looks still good, it would be too little to late I'm afraid; Plus, it's a nearly 10 year old concept car
Old 09-12-2019, 02:01 PM
CSS Veteran

Nastka is on a distinguished road

I think that sadly Jaguar is going to go the way of the dodo sooner or later. They constantly rank on the bottom rungs of quality surveys together with Land Rover, without having the fan-base and cachet of the sister brand. Sedans are becoming less and less popular, and not many people would choose a Jag crossover / SUV over any of its competitors, let alone a Range Rover.

It's true, you don't buy a Jaguar to compete with the Germans, you buy it to be 'different' (and whatever else their marketing spiel tells you about 'engagement', 'passion' and bollocks like that... the excerpt earlier of an interview with Julian Thomson made me retch). But then, have a look at Alfa Romeo and Maserati and see where it got them...
Old 09-13-2019, 02:30 AM
Raconteur

Quote:
As much as it looks still good, it would be too little to late I'm afraid; Plus, it's a nearly 10 year old concept car
The point is that tradition and nostalgia works for the XJ. The Ford XJ sold well. Callum's atrocity never sold well. Callum was butt hurt when people loved the Bertone B99 and were scathing in their view of his mess. Make the XJ and XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
I think that sadly Jaguar is going to go the way of the dodo sooner or later....
When Jaguar retreated up market they blew it.

In the short run give the XE "M3" speed for a 3 Series price. The XF gives M5 speed for a 5 Series price. The XJ needs to be gorgeous, fast, priced aggressively lower than the 7/S.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:10 AM
CSS Veteran

disap.ed is on a distinguished road

I agree with Swizzle about the B99 concept. Even today (after 8 years!) it still looks modern and classy, more so than any current Jaguar model as well as the competition.

I absolutely adore it <3
Old 09-13-2019, 07:37 AM
CSS Oldtimer

The question is really, would the Chinese love a tasteful design? After all, the 7 series BMW is the atrocity it has become because the Chinese like those overdone designs, apparently; And any luxury sedan has to sell mostly in China, because even BMW or Audi have no easy time moving their larger sedans (at least in Europe), let alone smaller players. If anyone does not buy a large CUV, they will find a Tesla model S cooler, certainly soon a Taycan too, or an Audi A7/s7/RS7 resp. some upcoming Taycan version. The S-Class is still an institution, but even Mercedes has enough internal competition with upcoming GLS/MAybach SUVs and the AMG GT 4 door catering the same price point...
Old 09-13-2019, 07:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The question is really, would the Chinese love a tasteful design? After all, the 7 series BMW is the atrocity it has become because the Chinese like those overdone designs, apparently;
Don't Audis and Buicks sell pretty well in China? They're both fairly conservative, in terms of design.