There are users
currently browsing forums.
  Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2019, 03:46 AM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2 View Post
...What if Ford surprises us and switches things up, calls the baby Bronco the new Escape and gives the more car-like model a new name. Hmmm....
That would make as much sense as Toyota ditching the Camry name because of a Corona variant. #illogical move.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:14 AM
CSS Oldtimer

AM2 is on a distinguished road

[/QUOTE=AM2]...What if Ford surprises us and switches things up, calls the baby Bronco the new Escape and gives the more car-like model a new name. Hmmm....
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle View Post
That would make as much sense as Toyota ditching the Camry name because of a Corona variant. #illogical move.
That's way off though.

Right now there are two upcoming C-segment unibody Ford CUVs/SUVs (a sleek more car-like model and a boxy one nicknamed baby Bronco) and two names (Escape and Maverick).

I just threw in the idea of what if Ford assigned the "Escape" name to the the baby Bronco since it has a lot more in common with the tougher more SUV-looking pre-Kuga gen 1 and gen 2 Escapes...

...and maybe use the Maverick name for the more car-like model since the real Maverick was originally a car.

PS: I'm aware the "Maverick" name was used by several Ford-badged Nissan SUVs and the euro spec gen1 Escape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baby-Bronco-vs-gen-Escape_small.jpg (84.2 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by AM2; 02-14-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:40 AM
CSS Oldtimer

paranoidgarliclover is on a distinguished road

I don't remember the Maverick (and I'm not exactly "young"), so, to me, Maverick sounds like a way better name for a CUV that's supposed to look bad ass and off road. I also think Escape probably has a decent amount of recognition, so it'd prob make more sense tot keep that w/ the more mainstream CUV....
Old 02-14-2019, 08:41 AM
CSS Ford Psychopath

CosworthKid is on a distinguished road

I don't see how the old Escape was a 'tougher' looking SUV at all. If anything the current model looks like a normal progression of that. I disagree with your suggestion, the new 'baby Bronco' needs a new name, its a different design approach altogether and regardless if it's called Maverick or something else, it needs a new identity and not be passed on as an Escape IMO.

MAKE
MINE
FORD
Old 02-14-2019, 08:44 AM
CSS Oldtimer

mick78 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
I don't remember the Maverick (and I'm not exactly "young"), so, to me, Maverick sounds like a way better name for a CUV that's supposed to look bad ass and off road. I also think Escape probably has a decent amount of recognition, so it'd prob make more sense tot keep that w/ the more mainstream CUV....
Well, in Europe Ford did reuse the Maverick name on a SUV before, a rebadged Nissan Terrano II back in the 90ies (when the 4x4 -a s we called them back then -trend began to take off and Opel gave us the Isuzu Rodeo and for reasons, Ford a Nissan...), and later, for a brief period, on the imported 1st gen US Escape. And somehow, I do agree, Maverick does sound like a good name for a CUV/SUV...
Old 02-14-2019, 11:14 AM
CSS Oldtimer

AM2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
I don't see how the old Escape was a 'tougher' looking SUV at all.
What I meant by tougher was the early gen Escapes followed Ford's SUV-truck styling, not their car styling.

The pre-Kuga Escapes rode higher and had large wheel arches that could fit larger tires.
Standard tires were 235/70R16 (28.95 inch diameter) for comparison the standard tire size of a 2019 Escape is 235/55R17 (27.18 inch diameter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosworthKid View Post
If anything the current model looks like a normal progression of that
The progression of making it more Focus-like, this is what the spy photos also show for their upcoming model, it's even more car-like than before.

I just feel that it has strayed so far from the original Escape that I don't mind if they called it something else.

Last edited by AM2; 02-14-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Raconteur

swizzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidgarliclover View Post
I don't remember the Maverick (and I'm not exactly "young")....
Ford reskinned the Falcon in the USA for 1970 and gave it a new name, but it was still the 1960 Falcon under it all.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:56 PM
CSS Oldtimer

pjl35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2 View Post
What I meant by tougher was the early gen Escapes followed Ford's SUV-truck styling, not their car styling.

The pre-Kuga Escapes rode higher and had large wheel arches that could fit larger tires.
Standard tires were 235/70R16 (28.95 inch diameter) for comparison the standard tire size of a 2019 Escape is 235/55R17 (27.18 inch diameter).
Right. The first generation was more truck-like as well. Even the facelifted current gen is fairly truck-like compared to the pre-facelift (obviously it's still got car-like qualities, but it's more angular/tougher than this new generation appears).

Old 02-14-2019, 03:49 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Crash is on a distinguished road

I understand the evolution of Escape from 'truck like' to 'glorified hatchback'...people want the benefits of a car based CUV...I'm guessing Ford read that to be 'not truck like' so softened it to what we have now (which the current Gen is pretty nice actually)....but I think what people want is the look / attitude / image of a truckbased product w/ the benefit of car based qualities
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM
CSS Oldtimer

boston is on a distinguished road

The goldfish how appearance make me think of an updated AMC pacer.....