Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2004, 04:06 PM

Default 05/06 Subaru Impreza Sti Revealed

Well, here it is...let the arguments commence!

Quote »
SCOOBY GOES WILD AGAIN

It's had controversial facelifts before - now, the Subaru Impreza is at it again! Exclusive pictures in the current issue of Auto Express magazine (issue 838 readers the world's first glimpse of the future of the high-performance legend. This is the Japanese company's top-secret revamped Impreza, which will take the fight to the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII when it appears in showrooms late in 2005.

Seen in the mag in top-of-the-range WRX STi guise, the heavily revised machine is more striking than ever. Not since the much-criticised bug-eye model of 2000 has Subaru chosen such a radical face for its rally-bred thriller. There's no doubt that the latest Scooby will divide opinion among performance car enthusiasts across the globe.

The newcomer takes its styling inspiration from the B11S and B9 Scrambler concepts, revealed at the 2003 Geneva and Tokyo Motor Shows respectively. Its key feature is a distinctive oval-shaped grille. Complete with Legacy-style headlamps, the fresh nose gives the Impreza a more imposing front aspect, and is intended to provide buyers with a characterful alternative to the Mitsubishi.

While the B11S had a coup body and the B9 was a roadster, the Impreza will keep its familiar four-door bodyshell, with only a mild restyle in profile. At the rear, the light clusters have been revamped, while new bumpers emphasise the sports exhaust and give the car a muscular finish.

But don't be fooled into thinking the revisions go no further than just another new look. Engineers are also working on a number of modifications in a bid to enhance the Impreza's already impressive driving experience. The most obvious change will come under the bonnet, where a new turbocharger will be fitted to produce more power.

Recent amendments to the law in Japan mean Imprezas sold in their home market will no longer have to be limited to 280bhp. That has enabled the firm to give the facelifted STi variant around 320bhp in basic trim. As with the current model, once the fresh Impreza is imported into the UK, the 2.0-litre flat four-cylinder powerplant can be tuned to deliver an even higher output.

Following the recent launch of Mitsubishi's 405bhp Lancer Evo VIII FQ-400, the Impreza has fallen behind in the all-wheel-drive power struggle. Once the new model arrives, expect engineering firm Prodrive to come up with a tuning pack to boost the Impreza to at least 400bhp. Chassis modifications are also likely to allow owners to make full use of the Driver's Control Centre Differential (DCCD), which is fitted as standard to the current Impreza STi. Expect minor changes to the suspension and steering to keep the Subaru competitive with its newest rivals in the performance class.

Despite the improvements, prices are tipped to be similar to those of the existing version, as Subaru ensures the model remains only a small step above the new breed of flagship hot hatches, led by Volkswagen's 20,495 Golf GTI. The facelifted Impreza is likely to weigh in at around the same price as the VW, with the storming STi variant expected to cost about 4,500 more.

Official launch details and schedules are still under wraps, but our sources in Japan say the facelifted model will go on sale in Japan late in 2005. UK-spec cars are set to arrive early in 2006.

cheers
JJ

Modified by Santeno at 11:22 AM 12/29/2004

Old 12-29-2004, 01:05 AM

first impression is Euugh! and Uuuuugly!, but we would have to wait for official pictures before final verdivt is given
Old 12-30-2004, 11:58 PM

the new auto express "photos" are photoshopped images, not a real car.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:01 AM
CSS Veteran

Default Re: (Achilles)

Of course; it is obvious, even with such a small picture. Anyway, yes, I too think the new Impreza's will have the new 'corporate' grille, and funnily enough, even after absolutely puking at the sight of the B9, it doesn't actually look that bad in that particular chop.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:13 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: (Top Secret)

I think that those Legacy headlights doesn't fit to the car. If this turns to be the real thing, i say that some of the chops we've seen are much better (as usual).
Old 01-01-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: 05/06 Subaru Impreza Sti Revealed (jje172)

Old 01-02-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: 05/06 Subaru Impreza Sti Revealed (jje172)

I am not a huge fan of the hopped up econo box, and actually hate the wrx(standard version) after dealing with several that were mechanical nightmares from being a mickey-mouse car. The evo is of such poor build quality its no wonder Mistsu does everything they can to void and flag customer's warranties on them. The Sti on the other hand, is well thought out and mechanically well executed. I think they would sell more of them by toning down the boy-racer look a little bit. The legacy has really become a nice automobile and doesn't look so damn, well, subaru-ish. I have contemplated buying an Sti several times and the rediculous looks of the car keep me from owning one. Hopefully they will go the other way with styling on the new model instead of more over the top. The car is over $30k and tends to be in a price range more suited to more 'mature' buyers(i.e. not so inclined to prove thier testostorone with wings and scoops and gold wheels) , they should put all the silly plastic on the $22k wrx and upscale the Sti a little more. Hi performance BMW's have never needed picnic tables on the trunklid to sell.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:02 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Default Re: 05/06 Subaru Impreza Sti Revealed (Rugbyplaya91)

just wait. In a few years these things will litter KU.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: (Top Secret)

Quote, originally posted by Top Secret »
Of course; it is obvious, even with such a small picture. Anyway, yes, I too think the new Impreza's will have the new 'corporate' grille, and funnily enough, even after absolutely puking at the sight of the B9, it doesn't actually look that bad in that particular chop.

If that IS the way they go it will look like a (non-selling) Mitsu crossover suv front end with a psuedo-Bugatti grille center thrown in. Something like Kia would do. I sometimes sell Subaru's(we are a three-make dealership) and Subaru buyers are like Volvo buyers. They tend to buy them every 300k miles, and the most likely buyers to ask specifically for the color 'beige'. The WRX/STI are one of the few cars they have that get 'conquest' sales from other makers. Making it THAT obnoxious may be enough to turn away buyers drawn to the Sti's stigma, but making it any goofier looking may be enough to make people walk away from them. Again, Sti buyers are a little 'older' then the average boy-racer, they want performance but want leather and some class to the car. There is a reason most Sti's sell in white or silver and most WRX's are bright blue or red. Most common Sti questions I get: can I get it without the wing and the red stickers? and Do they have leather? With the wrx it's: can I get gold wheels and the body kit?, do they have xennon lights?, how much is an Sti wing?

The B9 sure is silly looking as well. A great, original idea too, "lets make one of those whatchoo-ma-callem, crossovers?, that are just a little to small to be suv-handy, especially since this is the maker least likely to get traffic on them"......brilliant.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

Default Re: (kevinb120)

Quote, originally posted by kevinb120 »

The evo is of such poor build quality its no wonder Mistsu does everything they can to void and flag customer's warranties on them. The Sti on the other hand, is well thought out and mechanically well executed.

If that IS the way they go it will look like a (non-selling) Mitsu crossover suv front end with a psuedo-Bugatti grille center thrown in. Something like Kia would do.

Thanks for the bias.
I recommend you qualify your ignorant blanket opinions by preceeding them with "IMO" or "IMHO".
I find it interesting that GM affialiated manufaturers are copying European name-plate grilles. I.e. Suzuki = Seat and now Subaru = Alfa Romeo
Subaru is taking a risk with this new style, given the bug-eye backlash for the previous Impreza.. especially in Europe. I find the current version to be the most attractive in recent years.