Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2015, 02:57 PM
Raconteur

FCA has already said that the face isn't getting changed so motor on.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:47 AM
CSS Oldtimer

I like the face. It's very cleverly pays homage to the Jeep grill while also updating the appearance
Old 07-17-2015, 02:32 AM
NISMO by another name..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjl35 View Post
Agree to disagree. I'm a fan of the front end and, considering how well its doing, buyers don't mind it either.
It's selling largely to fleet and still doesn't outsell the CR-V, Escape, Rav4, or Rogue.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston View Post
I like the face. It's very cleverly pays homage to the Jeep grill while also updating the appearance
Quote:
Originally Posted by DATSUN View Post
It's selling largely to fleet and still doesn't outsell the CR-V, Escape, Rav4, or Rogue.
As a previous owner of a real Cherokee I gave it a fair shake when I was in the market last fall. It's too small to be a Cherokee/Liberty replacement. For me the face is uglier in person. I couldn't get past the feeling that it was some Landwind clone of a Hyundai/Kia something or other with a styled on acid face.

It drove very well. A friend has one and loves it. I just can't get past the ugly.

I'm not saying that it needs to go full retro, but the "headlights" should actually be the headlights. The "fog lights" should not be the headlights.

Ralph Gilles is FCA's Bangle and he needs to be shown the door is he can preside over "polarizing" designs rather than create "gotta have" styling.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:27 PM
CSS Veteran

Ralph is a pretty good designer. I'd argue that given the success of this product - he's being treated like a bit of a hero at FCA.

The 300 remains one of the best designed cars to come out of Chrysler (from a looks perspective) - and I think the Challenger/Charger is his as well.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:57 PM
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Ralph is a pretty good designer. I'd argue that given the success of this product - he's being treated like a bit of a hero at FCA.

The 300 remains one of the best designed cars to come out of Chrysler (from a looks perspective) - and I think the Challenger/Charger is his as well.
I find Gilles a bit "emperor's new clothes" to be honest.

300 version 1 YES
version 2 / meh
version 3 / it's different? really?

We'll have to wait and see how much ugliness of the Chrysler van concept's styling comes through to production.

So far the results are ok but dull (Dart, 200, 300 restyle, Challenger restyle) and strange (Cherokee and Renegade).

The Charger went from hideous (version 1), to merely ugly (version 2) to good looking (version 3)
Old 07-17-2015, 06:19 PM
CSS Oldtimer

What Gilles does on the Minivan is far more important than the Cherokee. I hope the Cherokee doesn't lose all its individuality in this refresh.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:43 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
What Gilles does on the Minivan is far more important than the Cherokee. I hope the Cherokee doesn't lose all its individuality in this refresh.
It won't. The spy shots suggest the same front fascia, and Jeep has said that they aren't changing its looks when it gets facelifted.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:10 PM
CSS Veteran

Quote:
What Gilles does on the Minivan is far more important than the Cherokee. I.
Oh, I'm not sure about that.

Cherokee is selling 15-20K per month; combined Dodge/Chrysler Mini Vans are selling 10K-13K per month (with a PILE of money on the hood).

I'm not saying the mini van redesign isn't important - but the reality is it's a declining category; CUV's are the flavour of the month.

IF FCA totally nails the redesign of the van's and IF Dodge is included in that mix (it's 50% of their sales - so it SHOULD despite Sergio saying it was going the way of the Intrepid) - the best they could hope for is 20K per month in my opinion.