currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 04:10 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Default 2013 Montgomery Mío 4-door

Mío SE sedan shown in Red Vermillion Metallic

Quote:
Mío sedan expands successful budget car range into China

24 April 2012 - SHANGHAI, CHINA - Shanghai Montgomery today announces its long-awaited new B-segment car, the Mío. Designed to cater to the ever more important Chinese market, the Mío represents Montgomery's next step in its global affordable car initiative.

Familiar, yet different

If the Mío comes across as familiar, it should - it is a development of Montgomery do Brazil's Mío hatchback.

Because hatchbacks are not as favored in China and other markets, this latest incarnation of the Mío is a 4-door saloon car. There are other changes, however, beyond simply tacking on a trunk.

Up front, an upper grille has been added for a more classic and prestigious feel. The traditional Montgomery corporate two-bar split grille still resides in the lower air dam, with extra chrome accents. Meanwhile, the door handles and DLO have been trimmed in brightwork as well. The profile has been designed for a cohesive look, avoiding the awkward proportions typical of B-segment saloons. In all, these changes give the Mío an appealingly upscale, mature look.

Like its hatchback counterpart, the 4-door Mío features flatter windscreen glass, 50/50 split-folding seats, and interchangeable wing mirrors, door handles, and other components for more economical manufacture.

New powertrains

While the Brazilian Mío uses flex-fuel engines, most world markets desire more conventional powertrains. For this reason the global Mío will be powered by a wide array of conventional engines, including:

-A 995cc, 62bhp inline three-cylinder
-A 1420cc, 96bhp inline four-cylinder
-A 1595cc, 106bhp inline four-cylinder

Transmission options consist of a five-speed manual or five-speed automatic.

Available soon

The Mío has already seen success in South America, where it is challenging long-established rivals from Volkswagen and Fiat. Montgomery, with its partner SAIC, hopes to repeat the achievement in China with this locally-produced variant, set to begin production at a new plant in Shanghai this fall.

Mío SE sedan shown in Grayscale Metallic

Mío SE sedan shown in Orange Horizon

Last edited by SV : 04-25-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:03 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Hah! I had planned on introducing my cheap B-segment sedan at Beijing, too! (Along with a luxury car) The design itself is pretty nice, although I wish the front hood were higher. It's got a big headed toddler effect going on. I really like the front fascia differences between the hatch and sedan; the Sedan definitely looks more "upscale" which I feel is a good asset in the market for cheap sedans.

Anyways, it looks pretty good. Interesting reading about the technology on such a small car; my version will be substantially longer, but less complex (only two engine choices, solid axle rear end ect).
Old 04-25-2012, 06:36 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Thanks. This was a real quickie I knocked out yesterday afternoon. I originally planned to do a whole new drawing and rendering for it but got lazy; I've got some more bespoke designs coming up.

I figured it was the roofline being too high that gave it that inflated look, but it could be the hood too. I think it's less evident with the hatchback either way.

The Mío's specs are meant to be pretty rudimentary - no six-speed gearboxes, and just a torsion beam rear end. Not quite a solid beam, which I figured might be getting too basic. I think the Dacia Logan for one still has a torsion beam. As for length, as a B-segment car, how much longer were you thinking? I'm pegging the Mío at a little under 170 inches. Proportions and length-wise it's pretty similar to the Gol sedan, I'd say.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:45 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Mine is a few inches longer, maybe 175", or so.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Aztek.

The hatchback looks great, and so does this.

Usually, B-segment 4-doors look ugly, but I really like how the roofline swoops down like that towards the rear. At the front of the car, the understated chrome highlights look upscale and tasteful. I can see this being very appealing to the 21st century young Chinese motorist.

Another thing, I'm really liking the new slimline Montgomery grill! I would love to see it being applied, in different ways, to the rest of the Montgomery range.

It might have been only a quick job, but it certainly lives up to the high standards we've come to expect from you!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:02 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Sad that this thread seems to be dying.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to emotive Send a message via Skype™ to emotive

Definitely a nice, well resolved design. I really admire how you guys can keep updating these lineups over such a long period of time! I've been meaning to get into it myself but I just don't see it happening with my patience/attention span haha!

One thing though.. the highlights and reflections around the crease that folds back under the side indicator don't really make sense?

EDIT: Well after studying the cut line of the door it actually makes a little more sense but if I understand it correctly, the horizon line shouldn't droop down at the crease line. Rather, it should be the other way around, but just a little more subtle. Don't know if I explained that too well :S

Last edited by emotive : 04-28-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:03 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACcartoons View Post
Another thing, I'm really liking the new slimline Montgomery grill! I would love to see it being applied, in different ways, to the rest of the Montgomery range.
I'm glad you like it! But the grille was really only intended for this car - the next generation of Montgomerys will get a slimmer grille design, but it won't look quite like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotive
One thing though.. the highlights and reflections around the crease that folds back under the side indicator don't really make sense?

EDIT: Well after studying the cut line of the door it actually makes a little more sense but if I understand it correctly, the horizon line shouldn't droop down at the crease line. Rather, it should be the other way around, but just a little more subtle. Don't know if I explained that too well :S
This was one of my first full photoshop renders, so the reflection work - which I didn't change for the sedan - isn't my best. I agree that the horizon line probably isn't realistic, but I think it does pretty effectively communicate the surfacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2o6 View Post
Sad that this thread seems to be dying.
Yeah, it is. I've got quite alot of stuff planned but I think we really need more people just commenting on threads. It's something I definitely need to do more.

Last edited by SV : 04-28-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to emotive Send a message via Skype™ to emotive

Don't get me wrong I really do think it's a very good render!

...........but I still believe that the horizon line should be inverted at the front end
That's the only thing that I can fault though, so....
Old 05-04-2012, 07:04 AM

Wow SV, i love it! Can remember your old drawing on the last CSS, this is of an unbelievable standard! Keep it up!