Forum Members:
Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2007, 11:41 PM

Default Re: (mrfdesign)

Yes it's nice. I see some kia ceed in it.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:19 AM
CSS Oldtimer

:

Quote, originally posted by Autocar »

What is it?

The latest iteration of Montgomery's venerable D-segment car, the SV100.

While shrinking rapidly, the large family car sector still attracts a large number of buyers, and is perhaps more important to Montgomery than it is to any other mass-market carmaker: from the founding FS15 to the well-regarded FC series and the four subsequent iterations of the SV100, the D-segment car has represented the core of Montgomery's range.

Which means the new SV100 has to be good, or else Montgomery will risk losing its core consumer base.

What's it like?

First impressions are of a big, imposing vehicle; this isn't surprising given the roughly 90mm increase in length over the old car. However, what is perhaps most striking is how low and planted the new SV100 looks. Both aggressively flared wheel arches and a relatively low roofline (about 50mm lower than the new Mondeo¬Ěs) contribute to this feel, and in our eyes it lends the car a distinctly rakish look.

Of course the styling itself is also responsible for the SV100's new-found dynamism; showcasing Montgomery's new 'Layered Tension' design theme, many of its cues hint at those of future models. It's certainly bold, with swoopy creases and a distinctive face helping it stand apart from its rivals. It's an altogether refreshing change from the previous model, which many accused of aping the Mk3 Mondeo. Although chrome trimmings are kept to a minimum (in fact, with the exception of the top-drawer LX model, they're entirely absent), the SV100 looks upscale in a way the old car could never hope to achieve. Some may not like it but Montgomery are betting that most will.

Inside, the upscale impression continues. The tops of the dashboard and doors are trimmed with plush soft plastics, as expected these days, and there's a flair to the design here absent in previous SV100s. The Driver-Machine Interlink (DMI) knob, which primarily controls satnav functions, takes some getting used to but after some practice becomes easier to use. Chrome and aluminium trim are used liberally, but not to the near-tasteless extent seen in the Ford. Move down a bit and the materials get a bit harder and cheaper (admittedly in places most owners will never see), but overall the cabin has a more premium feel than just about any rival short of VW's Passat.

Also notable is the abundance of space; thanks to ultra-thin front seats and an expansive 2860mm wheelbase, the SV100 feels spacious in the front and positively cavernous in the rear, although headroom may be tight for taller passengers.

While quality was a significant priority for Montgomery, the primary goal with the new SV100 was to improve efficiency and dynamics. To this end they employed extensive use of high-strength steels in the car's construction and obsessively scrutinized every component for potential weight savings. And we do mean obsessive: even the stereo speakers and rear-view mirror were trimmed down. While these savings are miniscule on their own, they appear to have added up, for despite the SV100's increased size it weighs about 10kg less than before (11-12kg depending on the model if you're into specifics).

At 1466kg our 1.8-litre turbodiesel model is a not insignificant 161kg lighter than the equivalent Mondeo, and with a smaller but more powerful engine delivers better performance. However by class standards performance is only average, with a quoted 9.7-second jaunt to 62mph (though economy is excellent at 51.4mpg). On the road the SV100 feels noticeably livelier than the old car, with eager throttle response.

It's the handling characteristics that really impress, though. The steering is exceptional; you can thank Shannon, who donated their acclaimed rack-and-pinion design, for that. It's light, contributing to the car's agile feel, but not numb; in fact it is perhaps more communicative than any other rival. In some ways the steering is almost too grittily feelsome, and contrasts with the car's refined nature to a degree some may find unsettling; we, however, are not complaining. Body lean was nicely restrained on our conventionally-sprung model. We have yet to drive an SV100 equipped with the available active anti-roll bars, which are claimed to completely eliminate leaning in turns, but the standard car is impressive as it is.

Should I buy one?

It certainly makes a strong argument. The new SV100 is exceptionally spacious, very well-built and drives with an alacrity most rivals would kill for. In virtually every respect, this car is a match for the new Mondeo; the D-segment wars are about to get alot more interesting.

just adding the pretend-review i wrote a while back, for the SV100...also updated the montgomery section with the new SV and the new grand legend...press release links still largely not working, ones that were linked to the old CSS just go to the new home page, i need to fix that but i'm too lazy right now...anyway..enjoy..

Last edited by SV; 05-22-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV View Post
thanks! there'll be a new montgomery up in a few days, in time for NAIAS

i was bored so i decided to do another pretend review:

Quote, originally posted by Autocar »

Montgomery Icon Hatchback 1.8 TD LX 5dr
Test date 01 November 2006
Price when new J15,415

What's new?
Quite a lot, they claim. And indeed this is one of the more significant facelifts we've seen in a while - compare the newest SV100 to its immediate forbear, for example, and you'll be hard-pressed to find the differences; the revised Icon meanwhile could almost count as a new generation going by looks alone, so extensive are the modifications.

Underneath, however, things remain largely the same as before. The suspension has been subtly tweaked for better chassis response, but the big news here revolves around the steering: the old rack has been sacked completely, to make way for a new Shannon-derived unit. Prices are identical to the outgoing model.

What's it like?
Its looks are definitely funkier (at least up front), but line it up next to newer rivals, such as the Citroen C4 and Vauxhall Astra, and the Icon begins to look a bit staid. That said, its looks are considerably improved over the previous car's drab design.

Stepping inside, anyone experienced with the old Icon will find a familiar yet subtly different interior. It's made of slightly higher-quality stuff; the door panels, steering wheel and control panel are new. As before, everything is screwed together solidly.

The Icon wasn't exactly in desperate need for chassis revisions, its dynamics having always been near the vanguard of its class. However, the changes (and improvements) to the oily bits are apparent as soon as you round a corner. The Icon's old steering rack got the job done but didn't stand out among its peers; now, however, the car steers almost as if it were an extension of your arm, telling you all the things you want to know and few of the things you don't.

The ride is a bit firmer than before, but this car is still an able mile-eater. The 1.8-litre turbodiesel four-pot and six-speed manumatic transmission, carried over unchanged from the old car (although the transmission gets a new name, 'Duonic'), adds to the Icon's motorway-loving nature.

Should I buy one?
The outgoing Icon was already an excellent car; these latest improvements only enhance its appeal. Build quality is up to Golf standards, while the chassis revisions and brand-new steering make the Icon a true driver's car and, indeed, a real threat to the Focus. All these factors combined, along with value above the class average, add up to what could very well be the new segment leader.

Cool. I was looking this over, and the Updated Icon in the review pic looks great.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:41 PM

The Shannon Series 3 deserves a new AV system. It looks too outdated when compared to the competition. A touch screen system with a VGA display and a 40 GB HDD would work wonders.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:52 AM

There are plenty of broken links.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:08 PM
DesignCentral Inc.

Send a message via MSN to dreamersmystique
Thumbs up heyy

Nic work man, you ahve a really set imagination, technical view of things and especially the business aspect of it all..

I kinda feel like, the Montgomery range is derived a lot from the ford, the shannon from Merc and BMW and the Avioli from the alfa Romeo...not that its a bad thing...all your cars amazingly well done...and I liked them all but I am sure in a few years time I could look up at your range of cars and I would see a unique brand itself...

Keep going man!!

Cheers!@!!!

http://dreamersmystique.deviantart.com/
Old 03-02-2010, 02:13 AM
CSS Oldtimer

Updated with the Horizon facelift, which came out two years ago - yet I never added it to the original post! - and the Icon II hatch and sedan, as well as the Shannon Series 6 facelift and Type 4.

Last edited by SV; 03-02-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Aztek.

I often come here to look at your cars. It's nice to have them all here in one place. And it's cool that you still keep this up-to-date.

Well done!