Total Threads:
Total Posts:

There are users
currently browsing forums.
  FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 04:17 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Send a message via AIM to 63Bonneville
Default What was the slowest car that you've even driven?

OK, this is my first thread that I'm starting for the new year, 2012, as well as my first post on CSS for the new year.

As far as the slowest vehicles that I've driven, or among them, would be a Chevrolet Chevette from the early 80s, one that someone rented, but I got to drive; so slow moving that it was frightening.

Some other very slow vehicles would be a couple of small GM vehicles with an Iron-Duke four-banger, in an X-car (Pontiac Phoenix that a relative owned) and a Buick Century (A-Body, I believe, which was essentially an extended X-Body), also from the 80s. There was not only slow, but very rough and unrefined, where the engine vibration would be transmitted to you through the steering wheel, and the harder you accelerated, the more intense the vibrations would get. The same would go for a Ford Pinto from the mid-70s, which a friend's father had, and this car was already several years old when he got it, slow and vibrations through the steering wheel, and the excuse was, "this is the price that you have to pay for if you want fuel economy".

A former girlfriend once had a late 80s Dodge Shadow (successor of the Omni and precursor of the first-generation Neon), and this car was a dog, too, not as much vibrations transmitted to the cabin and steering column, but very, very slow off the line, and unrefined.

Others I can say were a couple of Chevrolet Novas that friends had, and these cars were from the 70s, and were already old when they had them, and these had 250-c.i.d in-line sixes. These were surely weak off-the-line, but at least they did not vibrate like the 4-bangers mention in the above paragraph. Yet, I've driven some cars of he period with in-line sixes, and, though not tire-smokers, they did have adequate pep, and that would include a could of AMC models with in-line sixes. I've even once had a 1976 Dodge Aspen (Aspen, the car-range that succeeded the Dodge Dart - though this name is being reused for an upcoming compact that's succeeding he Caliber - and not the recent SUV that was a Chrysler counterpart to the Dodge Durango) and it had an in-line, slant-six that was a famous Mopar six (and these had great longevity), it wasn't fast off-the-line, that's a fact, but when in motion, it performed fairly decently, a smooth idle, as well as a unique engine sound where you also knew one driving up.

Others I can add to this were a couple of mid-sized, BOF, RWD GM vehicles from the 80s, which had the Buick Division-sourced V6 (likely the 231-c.i.d), which did not vibrate like the unrefined Iron-Duke 4, but were sinfully slow.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:26 PM
CSS Oldtimer

I learned to drive on my mother's 2000 Ford Econoline.....and it's a V6 rated at only 200HP when new.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:55 PM
CSS Veteran

Slowest I've owned was probably a 1993 VW Golf that managed a whopping 80bhp from a 1.8l engine and weighed far too much.
Was slower than my 60bhp Metro I learnt to drive in due to the weight.
I used to have to turn right across 4 lanes of duel carriageway and dodge the Dutch trucks tanking along at 90mph in doing so, think that Golf nearly killed me on several occasions.

Not slow but another memorable drive (for the wrong reasons) Was a FIAT Ducato 3.5tonne pickup with hydrolic bed. A vehicle that should not be FWD. Driving up steep wet Devon hills with the loadbed full was interesting to say the least

Thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 08:21 PM
CSS Oldtimer

'02 Ford Focus 1.4 5dr, our current family car that we've had nearly 6 years.

Never driven or even been in a car that's had to be floored as much. Lovely cruiser though.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:11 PM

Hmm...Slowest car I've driven would probably be our '91 Volvo 240 wagon. It's sluggish but not terribly so. My dad's five cylinder GT Coupe is more responsive with its manual tranny but at times it can feel very slow. I haven't driven a grand diversity of cars yet, though.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:41 PM
CSS Oldtimer

Slowest was Lada Zhiguli 2106 when I was learning to drive. Switching into 1st gear was a real challenge, but you really learn how to drive manual.