PDA

View Full Version : Michigan employer forces employees to quit smoking even away

Dan J.
02-20-2005, 08:01 AM
Weyco Inc., a company in Okemos Mich., has forbidden employees from smoking, even while away from work and in their own homes. The medical benefits administrator says smoking is driving up health care costs. It advised employees last year that as of Jan 1, smokers would be fired. When four workers refused a mandatory nicotine test, they were terminated. The company offers smoking cessation assistance programs to employees. <p>What do you think about this? Do companies have the right to infringe on your life at home whats next are they going to tell you what and how much you can eat?<p>I used to be a smoke , I quit 2 yrs ago. It should be a persons personal choice if they smoke or not .

Santeno
02-20-2005, 08:44 AM
I don't know about firing youif you smoke away from work, but I see nothing wrong with them reducing medical benefits (for smoking related illnesses) to smokers (even if you smoke at home. why should everyone haveto pay for someone else's nasty habit.

knicks125
02-20-2005, 10:43 AM
curious to find out if it was at-will employment?

Cozz
02-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Hmm, that sounds a bit wrong what the comapny did. I'm suprised no one filed law suits against this.<p>A company can not fire you if you smoke off hours. Even though smoking is bad, it's not against the law in any form besides age. Yes, it can drop health care costs so that's the companies issue in the wallet.

Naga Royal Guard
02-20-2005, 11:34 AM
smokin is bad for your skin :(