PDA

View Full Version : McLaren Signs Lewis Hamilton: First black F1 driver

DoMiNo
11-28-2006, 12:34 PM
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Edmunds InsideLine</b> &raquo;</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Rising F1 Star: McLaren Signs 21-Year-Old Hamilton<br><I>Date posted: 11-28-2006 </I><p><B>WOKING, England  NASCAR is still looking for its own version of Tiger Woods, but Formula 1 may have found a youthful future star: 21-year-old Lewis Hamilton, who will drive for McLaren-Mercedes in 2007. </B><p>Hamilton won the second-tier Grand Prix series, GP2, in 2006 and dominated the 2005 F3 Euro Series in 2005. He took his first ride in a McLaren F1 car in September at Silverstone, and was confirmed Friday as the teammate for two-time world champion Fernando Alonso, who moves to McLaren from Renault for the coming season. <p>Pedro de la Rosa, who completed the season after Juan Pablo Montoya was released by the McLaren team in midseason, will assume a test driver's role. <p>Hamilton's parents moved from the Caribbean island of Grenada to England years before Hamilton was born. He began racing go-karts as a youngster and won the McLaren-Mercedes Champions of the Future karting series in 1998. He has been with the McLaren and Mercedes-Benz Young Driver Support Program ever since. <p>What it means to you: <B>Hamilton  the first black driver in F1  could become an iconic figure for F1 and Mercedes-Benz. </B><br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>It will be interesting to see how this plays out... how well he will be received and--above all--if he's got the right stuff on the track.

Reppu
11-29-2006, 12:34 AM
This sort of commercial decision is not good for the team. De la Rosa would have been a better choice: a experienced guy, fairly fast, willing to give everything in favour of Alonso, not pressed by his own results whatsoever, and well known inside the team. That would have given one year of test driver to Hamilton. Then, in 2008, swap positions. Good for the three pilots, don't you think?

MitzXJ220
12-01-2006, 04:01 PM
I think you're slightly biased in Pedro's favour, but I understand where you're coming from. I disagree with you that McLaren did this purely for marketing reasons.<p>Pedro has played a good role in stepping in for JPM, but he isn't on the same level as Fernando. Niether is Hamilton, but he has the <b>potential</b> to challenge Alonso, you just have to see his past achievements to realise that. What did Pedro achieve in his time at Arrows and Jaguar?<p>Also remember that the sport really does need new blood to make it exciting. People like De la Rossa. Ralf Schumacher , Fisichella and Trulli all need to go. I'd like to see Vettel, Kubica, Hamilton and Nelson Piquet challenging Alonso and Raikkonen

Reppu
12-02-2006, 01:00 AM
I understand your point and partially agree with it, but i think that McLaren should make everything at hand to make Alonso give his best asap. That involves making him as happy and confident to his team mate as possible, thus Pedro would be a better chice in my opinion. And let me tell you: Pedro has been one of the most sadly wasted talents of this sport in decades. I reckon, however, that Hamilton will be a top 5 in the near future.

Gian86
12-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Very interesting article.<br>Looks like he could be another best driver in few years if Mclaren team tries to dominate Ferrari and Renault for the first time in a while.<br>Well see when 07 season starts.