PDA

View Full Version : mazda 3 wrx-evo killer

CarPenter
05-10-2005, 12:05 AM
According to automobile mag june 2005 mazda is secretly working on a high performance turbocharged, four wheel-driven version of its hit mazda 3 according to unconfirmed reports from japan. darn if only mazda was smart and priced this thing at 25k it would sell every single one they could make ! it would easily outsell wrx and evo combined also only makes sense there doing this seeing the mazda 6 is getting a high performance 4 wheel drive version soon !

Nick
05-10-2005, 12:12 AM
what would be cool is if they used some rotary engines to go up against the evo and wrx...

Top Secret
05-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Keep dreaming about the rotary version - all versions would be name RX-something anyway, and I doubt the RX-3 moniker will be coming back any time soon.<p>But about this, wouldn't think this is a WRX-EVO killer; it'd have to be damn good to defeat such highly regarded nameplates. And if the Mazda3 MPS (obviously) would be as fast as the STi, itd be faster than the Mazda6 MPS and I don't think Mazda would really do that.<p>Expect a detuned version of the MPS powerplant found in the Mazda6 MPS with the AWD system. I'd expect it to run 'bout 6-6.5 sec to 100km/h, not fast, but enough zing to satisfy customers.<p>The current Mazda6 MPS competes with the Liberty GT, so I dunno how Mazda is going to respond when the Liberty STi comes out.<p>And has anyone heard about an RX-8 MPS?<p>

syclone
05-10-2005, 05:18 AM
The Cosmo had a rotary and wasn't named RX

KebabGud
05-10-2005, 06:32 AM
almost half of the mazdas with rotary did not have RX in the name

JBlair
05-10-2005, 07:23 AM
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Top Secret</b> &raquo;</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>And has anyone heard about an RX-8 MPS?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Supposedly there is a twin-turbo version in the works that makes 330 hp, though I am not sure if that is an MPS version or not.

Uberwagon
05-11-2005, 03:21 PM
The Cosmo was also known as the RX-5.

stewacide
05-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Mazda's logic seems to be that the Mx- and Rx- designations are for coupes. Rx- for rotary, Mx- for piston. Throwing a rotary in the Mazda3 wouldn't make for an Rx-3, unless they made a coupe version with a rotary (the Mx-3, remember, was basically a 323 coupe...)<p>Mazda's made a number of rotary-powered sedans (and trucks, commercial vehicles, etc.) that didn't have the Rx- designation: IIRC all Rx-cars have been coupes.

coolbluelb
05-12-2005, 09:52 PM
I thought that the best chance for forced induction in an RX was the electric supercharger that had been tested (I remember somewhere that Mazda actually said that turbos did not respond like they wanted on the current Wankel). Back on topic, the MSP3 was going to be a FWD car, is there real evidence Mazda will be using AWD?