PDA

View Full Version : Rolls-Royce hints at cheaper cars

endel
05-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Rolls-Royce hints at cheaper cars <p><br>British-based luxury carmaker Rolls-Royce, a subsidiary of German car group BMW, plans to diversify its vehicle production, the Financial Times reported.<p>Rolls-Royce will decide "within a year" which other areas of the car market it wants to enter, the newspaper quoted its chairman and chief executive Ian Robertson as saying.<p>He added the prestigious top-end carmaker was "ruling nothing in and nothing out" in terms of a possible new product range.<p>A long-term expansion of production at the company's car factory in Goodwood, southern England, could be on the cards after Robertson described "significant scope for growth" at the company, it added.<p>The prestigious car maker previously aimed to produce 1 000 cars per year - of its latest Phantom model - but executives believe production could double in the longer term at the plant.<p>Rolls-Royce could also manufacture less expensive vehicles at the Goodwood factory, with price ranges between $150 000 and $200 000, according to the report.<p>It currently produces luxury limousines retailing for more than $350 000.<p>Last year luxury brand Bentley - Rolls-Royce's former sister company now owned by Europe's biggest carmaker Volkswagen - recorded the best growth in the sector thanks to the success of its $165 000 dollar Continental GT model.

AM2
05-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Hmmm... Rolls Royce really needs a lower priced sedan the size of a BMW 7-series to battle the new lower priced VW-Bentley models... Interesting.

ritmo
05-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Won't this "cheapen" Rolls-Royce' image in the long run, even though it might be a success in the short-term?

Santeno
05-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Doubtfull. Seeing that cars above $100,000 dollars are an extremely small (but profitable) segment of the car industry. In all likelyhood such a vehicle would serve as a brand entry vehicle priced somewhere above the upper reaches of BMW's current offerings. I picture it as taking over where the 7 series leaves off. Picture a smilira or even sligtly larger vehicle than the biggest 7, but with all the customization and detail work available to Rolls Royce.

AM2
05-10-2005, 12:45 PM
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>ritmo</b> &raquo;</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Won't this "cheapen" Rolls-Royce' image in the long run, even though it might be a success in the short-term?</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Cheapen? I don't think so. <br>Rolls Royce usually had cheaper models smaller than the Phantoms like the Silver Shadow, Silver Seraph etc. <br>$150,000 - $200,000 is still exclusive enough for a Rolls Royce.

PlatForm
05-11-2005, 07:12 AM
cheap Rolls-Royce?? this is good.but they shouldnt decide something to rival VW-Bentley coz Rolls-Royce got its own image and brand quality.. if they want to make cheaper car,i suggest they build smaller sedan but still in luxury market..