PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai Introducing RWD Range Topper

Santeno
05-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Acording to Autoweek Magazine & Automotive News, Hyundai will be introducing a RWD model above the Azera in the US. It's success (or lack of) will determine whether Hyundai chooses to <b>eventually</b> launch a separate luxury sales channel. Here is the article:<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote &raquo;</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><u>Hyundai? Luxury? Korean automaker to introduce upscale, rear-drive car in U.S. in 2007</u><p>Hyundai Motor Co. will introduce a rear-wheel-drive luxury car in the United States in 2007 to test the waters for launching a luxury brand.<p>Pickups and sports cars are lower priorities for the Korean automaker, Hyundai's Korean executives said during the Seoul motor show here last week.<p>After launching the luxury car, "We will decide whether or not to launch a separate brand," said Kim Dong Jin, Hyundai's vice chairman and co-CEO.<p>He said Hyundai has a number of issues to settle. For example, the automaker may offer franchises in a new brand only to existing Hyundai dealers, or to dealers who currently do not sell Hyundais.<p>Kim says a luxury car is a "higher priority" for Hyundai than a pickup. A luxury car would "improve our brand image" in ways that a pickup would not, he says.<p>But U.S. executives have stressed repeatedly that they would prefer to get a large pickup before luxury vehicles. Hyundai Motor hopes to sell 1 million units annually in the United States in 2010. Hyundai and affiliate Kia sold a total of 688,670 units in the United States in 2004.<p>Hyundai sells no rear-drive car now.<p>A spate of upcoming vehicle redesigns should succeed in building up the Hyundai image, "then naturally, a customer wants a luxury car from Hyundai," said Brandon Yea, director of the marketing strategy team in the Hyundai and Kia corporate marketing division. "That's when we'll launch a luxury brand."</TD></TR></TABLE>

mzoltarp
05-04-2005, 05:48 AM
I'd buy one.

CalinG7
05-04-2005, 11:31 AM
So this will be a luxury car but sold under the Hyundai brand? Interesting. What happens if it's a success, though? Do they then move it to the Luxury channel/brand?

anonms
05-04-2005, 06:14 PM
So would this be the Equis (I'm not sure as to how it's spelled) stuff?

Santeno
05-04-2005, 08:07 PM
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>iHug Trees</b> &raquo;</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So would this be the Equis (I'm not sure as to how it's spelled) stuff?</TD></TR></TABLE><br>The Equs (yes like in horse), is FWD and was co-developed with Mitsubishi. No this is not the same vehicle.

Tidal
05-05-2005, 07:56 AM
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Santeno</b> &raquo;</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>The Equs (yes like in horse), is FWD and was co-developed with Mitsubishi. No this is not the same vehicle.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>But it's probably it's replacement right? Does this mean Hyundai is developing a in house V8?<p>This should be interesting to see. It probably won't be a sales hit, as most manufacturers first attempt at the luxury market aren't hits, but it should do wonders for their image, if done right.

mzoltarp
05-08-2005, 06:08 AM
They have a 4.5 litre V8 in house already so a new one would not be a stretch of the imagination.

Excellerator
05-08-2005, 01:36 PM
I'll more than likely be that car they show in the new Hyundai commercial (in the scene where a guy is manually sculpting a clay model and when a car appears on the computer screen).