PDA

View Full Version : New GM Fullsize FWD Architecture

CalinG7
02-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Edmunds.com, in its' Inside Line section claims that the replacements for the Cadillac DTS, Buick Lucerne, and the Chevy Impala will all remain FWD and will share a platform named "Chi." Here's the full article.<p><br><I>GM Working on Lucerne, DTS Replacements<br>Date Posted 02-21-2005 <p>DETROIT  In a series of exclusive interviews with Inside Line, General Motors suppliers say the automaker already has begun planning a new generation of full-size family and luxury sedans, including replacements for three models that won't go on sale until this fall.<p>GM is laying the groundwork for a brand-new front-wheel-drive platform for its next-generation full-size models, sources tell Inside Line. That platform reportedly carries the code name "Chi." The new platform will be used as the base for successors to the 2006 Buick Lucerne, the 2006 Cadillac DTS and the 2006 Chevrolet Impala, according to suppliers.<p>Chi is the latest in a growing series of GM vehicle families, or "architectures," each of which has been given a Greek letter to identify it and differentiate it from the rest of the extended clan.<p>One source close to GM describes the Chi platform as "essentially a passenger-car version of Lambda," the large FWD/AWD architecture that will underpin a new family of crossover vehicles for Buick, GMC, Pontiac and Saturn, beginning in 2006.<p>Another source said Chi is intended as GM's answer to Ford's full-size D3 platform, which is used for the Ford Five Hundred, the Ford Freestyle and the Mercury Montego. The Chi platform will be able to accommodate V6 and V8 engines.<p>GM apparently has not locked in a start date for the Chi program, but suppliers say it won't commence production until around 2010-2011.<p>What this means to you: If you can't wait to dash out to your local Buick dealer this fall to check out the new Lucerne, be forewarned. The new one is a long way around the corner  in 2011.</I>

nismo
02-22-2005, 06:49 PM
I guess all the people that keep saying the next full size models are going to be RWD and the new DTS and Impala are quick fixes must feel really let down... I didn't see GM making such a drastic change to begin with.

JBlair
02-22-2005, 09:38 PM
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>nismo</b> &raquo;</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess all the people that keep saying the next full size models are going to be RWD and the new DTS and Impala are quick fixes must feel really let down... I didn't see GM making such a drastic change to begin with.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I really don't believe this article. Every sign out there up until now has pointed to Zeta. GM has even said that Zeta would be the platform that would underpin the future Buick flagship. Edmunds has been wrong before, and I think they're wrong now.

Nick
02-23-2005, 12:52 AM
This article is somewhat innacurate...or something...over at C&G this has been under discussion and a few insiders at some GM plants have mentioned the chi platform will be an updated G-body, and another one states that it won't be a fwd car platform at all but actually a rwd replacement for Theta or some type of rwd truck platform...in other words...this could be a lot of things, but the Zeta architecture will still be used to create large and midsize rwd cars, so technically if this is a G-body replacement, it could be the fwd alternative which would fight alongside the zeta architecture...don't take my word for it...I am not exactly clear on all of this especially with the mixed signals given off by the insiders who actually work for GM, infact one guy stated that he hadn't heard of chi, nor has there been any talk of it really...so who knows whats going on...

Roadster44
02-25-2005, 11:14 PM
It would make little sense to have next DTS remaining FWD...do they know what Lexus is going to do with next LS, or which route Acura will take next time with RL? All other executive sedans are rwd.

Nick
02-25-2005, 11:44 PM
even if the DTS stays FWD, cadillac is going to have the ULS which will be based on Zeta architecture...

thegriffon
02-28-2005, 08:24 AM
The ULS architecture will be developed from Sigma and may support at least two vehicles to compete with the large european sedans and grand tourers.<p>Chi (that's a Greek ch as in chloe or christopher), was always going to be fwd. The most likely path would have been a development of the G-body, or as mentioned by Edmunds, a derivative of Lambda. Zeta was just wishful thinking for the individual vehicles involved, as were the short life-cycles. 2010 places the Impala, Lucerne and DTS on a 5-year changeover cycle. One problem is that it's still too early for Chi to be more than tentative.<p> Oh, and Roadster, the RL is technically transverse/awd, and Audis, Lancias and Alfa Romeos are all fwd with awd options, even if the fwd base models are not always offered in the US. In any case the RL is an STS competitor, and the LS another rung above.

Naga Royal Guard
02-28-2005, 08:47 AM
i thaught the LS competed with the peug 206....

ToronadoGT
03-07-2005, 05:43 PM
I don't doubt that this platform is for real and not some rumor floating around the internet. But, I do doubt that GM will use this for the Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac, and Chevy flagships. Everything has pointed at Zeta, and that's the platform that will probably pin the new 4 cars. <p>However, I wouldn't count out that Saturn could be getting a full-size, FWD car in the near future to compete with Avalon, etc. It could also pin a minivan larger than the Relay and its Lambda replacement. But that's just my thoughts on the subject.

thegriffon
03-10-2005, 03:47 AM
Nothing has pointed to Zeta for those sedans but wishful thinking. The only real information on Zeta sedans for North America is for the Pontiac G8 and Buick Invicta. Lucerne and DTS are bigger, Impala much higher volume.

JBlair
03-10-2005, 01:16 PM
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>thegriffon</b> &raquo;</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nothing has pointed to Zeta for those sedans but wishful thinking. The only real information on Zeta sedans for North America is for the Pontiac G8 and Buick Invicta. Lucerne and DTS are bigger, Impala much higher volume.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I believe that Lutz said something to the effect that all the full-sizers would be moving to Zeta. Don't quote me on that though. However, it was more than wishful thinking.

AM2
03-12-2005, 03:06 PM
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JBlair</b> &raquo;</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>I believe that Lutz said something to the effect that all the full-sizers would be moving to Zeta. Don't quote me on that though. However, it was more than wishful thinking. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Maybe GMs full-size sedans will remain FWD, and the smaller mid-size sedans will switch to RWD(I believe like the current models future Holden Commodores/Monaros/GTOs will remain mid-size).<p>Look at Cadillac... the CTS and STS which are smaller than the full-size FWD DTS are RWD or RWD/AWD.