PDA

View Full Version : GM axes Envoy XUV and Quadrasteer

Dodger
02-19-2005, 06:03 AM
Info from <A HREF="http://www.detnews.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.detnews.com</A><p>OKLAHOMA CITY -- General Motors Corp. has decided to end production of the Envoy XUV, a five-passenger sport utility vehicle that can also be used as a pickup truck, a spokeswoman at the plant that makes the vehicle said Friday. <p>The plant will continue to make seven-passenger versions of the Envoy, including the Envoy Denali, a luxury version of the vehicle, spokeswoman Kathy Odem said. <p>The company said the decision will not affect jobs at the plant. At least 250 workers were laid off in January after GM made widespread production cuts. <p>Inalfa Roof Systems Inc., which makes the sliding rear roof for the XUV, said GM told its suppliers last week that it would stop making the vehicles amid lackluster sales. Production, which began 18 months ago, will cease March 31. The XUV is made exclusively at the Oklahoma City plant. <p>"The need for greater offerings of seven-passenger SUVs is being filled by the introduction of the GMC Envoy Denali," said General Motors Rick Asher said. "Part of that revamped lineup includes the addition of the XL Denali and the cancellation of the XUV." <p>GM employs more than 2,200 people in Oklahoma City. Workers also assemble seven-passenger versions of the Chevrolet TrailBlazer and Isuzu Ascender. <p>---------------------------<p>Poor sales are forcing General Motors Corp. to put the brakes on Quadrasteer, its innovative but expensive four-wheel steering system. After this year, it will disappear from the automaker's optional equipment list. <p>Developed by Delphi Corp. and launched to critical acclaim in 2002, Quadrasteer links a vehicle's rear wheels to its front-wheel steering system. So when a vehicle's front wheels are turned, its rear wheels turn automatically at angles that make handling more precise. <p>At high speeds, Quadrasteer affords greater stability. At low speeds, it makes towing easier by reducing turning radius. But in the showroom, it has failed to pull its weight, even with its current $2,000 price tag, which is below GM's cost, said spokeswoman Sharon Basel. <p>"We've thrown everything at this to make this successful from a sales standpoint," Basel said. "It just isn't a viable option anymore." <p>Though available on four GM vehicles -- the GMC Sierra and Chevrolet Silverado pickups, and the GMC Yukon XL and Chevy Suburban sport utility vehicles -- demand for Quadrasteer has never exceeded 2.1 percent. This despite rates of 16.1 percent and 17.8 percent among Yukon XL buyers in 2003 and 2004, respectively. <p>"When they first came out with it, there was a lot of excitement," said Earl Culver, sales rep at Buff Whelan Chevrolet in Sterling Heights. "The cost of it was a problem." <p>Quadrasteer was originally made available as part of a package worth about $5,500. But even now, as a stand-alone option, demand is unchanged. <p>Meanwhile, Delphi is hoping to remarket the technology. GM was its only customer for Quadrasteer, so the supplier is angling for another contract. <p>"We've put a Quadrasteer system on a passenger vehicle, a prototype, and there is some interest in Europe," said Delphi spokeswoman Carrie Wright. <p>

taskbearer
02-21-2005, 11:33 AM
If this was released by honda, the automotive world would rave about this technology until it becomes virtually boring, but when released by GM........?<p>GM should have known better that their major customers aren't tech savvy. They tried it once with the night vision, it failed, now Toyota is using GMs system under license and Honda is trying to make theirs the new VTEC if you know what I mean.

knicks125
02-21-2005, 12:10 PM
it just gets worst and worst for GM<p>hey i liked the XUV, I was gonna get one...oh well

Nick
02-21-2005, 12:42 PM
well, they didnt market quadrasteer very well...I mean, I probably saw one commercial which included it...and that was recently...it's sad because its great technology and really helped with the handling and turning characterists of the full size trucks and suv's and they were just about to release version 2 of thequadrasteer which was going to make it cheaper, unfortunately they axed it...

Dodger
02-21-2005, 01:25 PM
I think quadrasteer was great technology too. I also think the idea of the XUV is great, I just think people were too skeptical about it

syclone
02-27-2005, 11:38 AM
i think they really screwed up the marketting on these as well. i actually really liked the xuv, and thought quadrasteer had some real potential for the next generaion of big pickups<p>edit - i think cost did have a bit to do with it too, as the article states. maybe they jumped the gun on putting it into production.

boston
03-03-2005, 12:27 AM
Quadrasteer was doomed due to price <br>XUV looked like good hearse material

Santeno
03-03-2005, 09:28 AM
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>taskbearer</b> &raquo;</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If this was released by honda, the automotive world would rave about this technology until it becomes virtually boring, but when released by GM........?<p>GM should have known better that their major customers aren't tech savvy. They tried it once with the night vision, it failed, now Toyota is using GMs system under license and Honda is trying to make theirs the new VTEC if you know what I mean. </TD></TR></TABLE><br>Actually it was. honda released 4 wheel steering technology in the late 80's prelude. It was supposed to make turning radiuses tighter and handling at speed much sharper (it was succesful on both counts). however the premium charged and the added weight on what was not really a sports car made sales practically nill. Reviewers raved about the technology, but honda ended having to drop it. GM bassically did the same thing but on trucks. Funny thing about 4 wheel steering is that it really only is a real necessitty in extremely large vehicles (like fire engines or very large dump-trucks) or in vehicles that need to be extrenmely manuverable because of what they do (such as fork lifts). Otherwise, the cost of the added advantage is hard to justify.<p>The funny is that the reverse has also happened. when GM used digital readouts in the early 80's they were unanimously reviled by consumers. Japanese consumers loved them and used them freely in JDM vehicles. Even the Corvette was forced to drop theirs in favor of analog dials. Now days, honda produces almost a carbon copy of the corvettes 1980's dials in the S2000 and everyone thinks it's genius. Go figure.

Nick
03-04-2005, 01:39 AM
I can see possibilities where quadrasteer would be useful on trucks though...especially large ones such as the suburban...I mean, it makes the turning radius into that of a small car and maneuvering is much easier, that and it really helps with towing especially at highway speeds...it's a neat technology, it just wasn't marketed to its fullest...