PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Audi have plans to stop with VR6 use.

gone with the wind
01-16-2005, 04:03 AM
Within Audi there go's a rumour that says that Audi will stop with the use of the VR6 engine in the Audi TT and A3 within a few years.<br>The VR6 engine is to haevy and is disappointing in curve performance in comparison with the 4 cylinder turbo units.<br>As an alternative they are thinking about a 2.0-liter FSI compressor-turbo combination with 280 bhp.<br>Also possible is a light metal 2.5/2.6-liter R5 cylinder FSI Turbo engine (split V10) with  320 bhp.<br>The return of the famous R5 turbo engine will boost sales tremendous of the A3 and TT i recon.<br>Audi TT Mk2 2.6T R5 cylinder sound goed to me. <p>wfg, Hans.

Naga Royal Guard
01-16-2005, 12:21 PM
did Audi have a 5-cyl engine before? i have heard of it ( once ) but not since then

iamalittlepepper
01-16-2005, 12:35 PM
They did in ths 80s for the 5000 (they sound different).. basically VR6 nixing comes down to cost.. and weight.. VR6 blocks are iron blocks.. with the jump towards alloy it just doesn't make sense to make another new investment for mediocre returns.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Naga Royal Guard</b> &raquo;</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did Audi have a 5-cyl engine before? i have heard of it ( once ) but not since then</TD></TR></TABLE><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by iamalittlepepper at 11:42 AM 1/16/2005</i>

Verdegrrl
01-19-2005, 01:37 PM
At this time there are no plans to drop the VR6. The sound and power curve of the VR6 is nothing like the turbo engines, and not everyone wants a turbo. In addition, turbos are more complex, have a higher rate of warranty claims, are prone to excessive warranty claims due to chipping, and are harder to qualify for ULEV status. Turbos have their place, but they are not a catch-all replacement for displacement.<p>VW just introduced the 150/170hp inline 5 cylinder, but it shares nothing with the old Audi inline 5 that got sold off to Volvo. It's more like the old 2.0 8 valve engine with another cyclinder and extra valves tacked on. It's not developed to be a racing motor like the old Audi inline 5, so I'm not sure it could fill the sporting engine gap very effectively. <p>The VR6 is the likely engine for the next VW R36, of course it powers the base Touareg, Cayenne, and upcoming Audi Q7. It is the top choice for the upcoming Passat and may make it into the hot-rod Jettas. That's hardly an engine that is going to get phased out, given the tooling and development costs involved.<p>Whether VW/Audi will build yet another totally new engine, is unknown at this time, but seems unlikely. They have recently evaluated some version of forced induction V configuration engine varients and have decided to shelve them unless needed.<p>Evaluations are presently ongoing, as to what engines will be used in the RS3 and possibly the RS TT. QTR GmbH is comparing large(ish) engine combined with small turbo(s) vs small(ish) engine with larger turbo(s).<p>My sources are admittedly not in a position to know many details about the A3 and especially the TT, but engine programs are usually known by most most people in the company.