PDA

View Full Version : New Honda & Fuel Cell

Dodger
01-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Info from MSN Auto's coverage of the NAIAS:<p>Honda Readies New Civic, Fuel Cell <br> <br> <br> <br>Honda outlined plans for a new Civic this fall, plus advances in fuel-cell technology.<p><br>However, no pictures and only basic details about the new Civic were offered. The eighth-generation Civic will focus on emotion and a fun-to-drive spirit said Honda Motor Company Ltd president and CEO Takeo Fukui.<p><br>The New Civic will have 2-, 3-, 4- and 5-door versions and feature a completely new body, plus four new engine options: a new version of the i-VTEC gas engine, a compressed natural gas power option, an improved hybrid system, and an advanced diesel. The award-winning i-CTDi diesel wont be sold in the U.S. The natural gas powered Civic, to be built in Ohio, will be the cleanest internal combustion engine in the world.<p><br>Fuel Cells<br>Hondas vision is to be a company that society wants to exist, said Honda Motor Company Ltd president and CEO Takeo Fukui, as he went on to talk about other technology initiatives the company is working on.<p><br>Perhaps most ambitious is the companys work on fuel cells, an area where GM also has focus. Zero-emission fuel-cell vehicles use a chemical reaction to create electrical power to drive their motors, dispensing with the need for troublesome and bulky battery packs.<p><br>We have 11 fuel-cell vehicles in the U.S. This year we will put the FCX in the hands of an individual customer for the first time in history. The downside of fuel cells: they depend on a supply of hydrogen for refueling, which is not available at every street corner. Honda plans to get around that problem with its new Home Energy Station, a device that will produce hydrogen from natural gas.<p><br>Safety<br>We believe that everyone has a right to safety, no matter how much they pay for their vehicleand even those outside the vehicle, said Mr. Fukui, highlighting Hondas efforts to reduce the aggressiveness of its cars offer to occupants of other vehicles and pedestrians in accidents.<p><br>New safety technologies are in the works now. This fall, the 2006 Acura RL will be fitted with a Collision Mitigation Braking System, which will use a radar system to detect impacts ahead of time and initiate full braking to reduce the severity of the impending collision.<p><br>The Honda Accord and the new Civic will be the only cars to offer side curtain airbags, occupant position sensing front airbags, ABS and pedestrian safety measures as standard. <p>There is also a similar story covered by Detroit News on their Auto Insider page.<p><br><i>Modified by Dodger at 3:58 PM 1/11/2005</i><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by Dodger at 4:08 PM 1/11/2005</i>

taskbearer
01-13-2005, 12:38 AM
Natural gas is already common in Belgium, so why honda's claim of the civic's being the cleanest combustion engine in the world. I appreciate honda's wide spread of eco technologies across the civic range though.