PDA

View Full Version : Car Tooling Question

Santeno
04-14-2005, 07:31 AM
I haven't really worked on a car for a quite a while. I remember that for quite some time, american manufacturers used imperial measurements (Inches, feet , Miles, etc) for the engineering specs for their cars, while almost all other manufacturers (But not all) used Metric. I remember what a pain in the ass it was, when american car makers started importing foreign built vehicles under their brands. You expected to have to use imperial tools, and everything was metric. You basically had to have to full sets of tools depending on what you were working on.<p>My question is, With American copanies becomeing ever more international, Does this problem still exist? If so, where are you likely to encounter it?<p>I mean, Does a ford made Jaguar use imperial measurements? Does a DCX made chrysler, now use metric? Can someone plese fill me in?

Reppu
04-14-2005, 08:04 AM
Just guessing, but i'd say that brands are moving more and more to metric measures. After all, metric system is truly the worldwide standard.....and much more simple and accurate i might add.

Cozz
04-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Almost all American brands have gone metric for the longest time now. But one thing I've seen is American uses more torx type bolts like for head lights and seatbelts wile imports are hex style from front to back.<p>A 7mm and 8mm and you can stip most a the dash off a GM or a Ford truck. You'll need a #2 philips and a 10mm to work on the dash of a Toyota or Honda

Verdegrrl
04-15-2005, 05:38 PM
It seems to depend where major modules (engines, transmissions, body, etc) are made. Our Dakota is a mix of metric and Imperial. Used to have a Contour SVT. That was all metric despite being a Ford, since it was primarily designed overseas.