PDA

View Full Version : What cars are best to modify? RSX, EVO or even the mustang??

goldwave84
04-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Hey everyone!<br>I am a big fan of modifed cars. Now, Ive seen the 2 fast 2 furious type of car mods, but what about the mustang? What can you do to it to make it amazing?? Anyone got any pics of a amazing mustang?<br>Until now I just wow at cars for their appearance but now I actually want to learn about actual modifying, where would I start?<p>Thanks a lot<br>Ash

Santeno
04-07-2005, 10:00 AM
The answer to your question, Ash, depends on what you mean by modifications. If you mean wrapping the poor thing in heavy fiberglass crap (that hinders performance more than it helps) and giving it a multicolored paintjob, neon lights and a fart can, Then the best modification anyone can do to any car (when this is the option), IMHO, Is to take a hammer to it.<p>Now, if you are talking about mechanical modifications, you are likely to find that, displacement, relative technical simplicity, and an adjustable suspension are your friends. As a general rule, you can extract more power out of a greater displacement engine (especially when more cylinders are added) and have a greater range of possible modifications on a relatively simple engine and management design. Also refrain from adding stupid body mods that will do nothing for your performance (except maybe add weight and drag).

mzoltarp
04-08-2005, 05:44 AM
There is also a divide between the import tuner boys (Evo, WRX, etc.) and say the Mustang/GTO crowd. Both directions can be made to go hella fast with cash, but I would rather have a Shelby GT500 than a WRX with NOS and a wing the size of Texas.

Top Secret
04-08-2005, 06:21 AM
To start getting knowledgable about modifying cars, look at as many magazines and websites as possible. Learn about engines, gearboxes and all components about cars. <p>But what type of cars are you into predominantly? Japanese cars? Euro cars? American cars?

Mindless T
04-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Get a Vee 8 son and u're all set...

MontrealMustang
04-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Your best bet to go fast on a budget is the 1987-93 Ford Mustang 5.0 or the 1993-2002 Camaro Z28/Firebird Formula. Those cars will haul ass like nothing else and cost peanuts to buy and modify.<p>However, there's a caveat. If you're under 25 you might find the insurance for those big V8 cars a bit much, even if you save on the modification costs. Hot Rodding import cars is very expensive. Fast & Furious might make it seem like there's a big scene but the reality is that serious modifiers are fairly rare and usually loaded in cash. Most people just put wings, big rims and paintjobs on their cars. Heck, remember that lime green Mitsubishi Eclipse that the cop is driving in that first race? One of the cars used in those shots (there were more than one) was the base model with front wheel drive and had an automatic with the stock engine. So it's easy to make a car look "fast" with a bunch of gadgets. I'm more into making them fast even if they're ugly.<p>Take a gander at my heap:<p><A HREF="http://pages.videotron.com/knox/mustang.jpg" TARGET="_blank">http://pages.videotron.com/knox/mustang.jpg</A><p>Hard to believe it makes over 240 horsepower eh? Hehehe... I just recently dug it out of the ice (it spent all winter outside) if the rear end doesn't fall off in a shower of rust I might take it to the track to see what kind of time I can get out of it.

Wyldeone22
04-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Well, I think you're asking too broad of a question.<p>What kind of performance are you looking for? Straight line? AutoCross? Drifting? Rally? How much does reliability and streetability come into play?<p>Larger displacement is great for straight line performance... but it can work against you in the autocross or rally (weight distribution). <p>Before you start finding your car, you should first figure out what type of performance really gets you going... go to the track... go watch an autocross... see what really gets your blood flowing.

chaserolls
04-08-2005, 07:06 PM
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Wyldeone22</b> &raquo;</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I think you're asking too broad of a question.<p>What kind of performance are you looking for? Straight line? AutoCross? Drifting? Rally? How much does reliability and streetability come into play?<p>Larger displacement is great for straight line performance... but it can work against you in the autocross or rally (weight distribution). <p>Before you start finding your car, you should first figure out what type of performance really gets you going... go to the track... go watch an autocross... see what really gets your blood flowing.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Agreed . . . and then invest in a high performance driving school so you can make the most out of what you already have. It'll make you a much better driver and probably much faster than people who have dropped thousands of dollars modifying their cars trying to make up for their lack of driving skills<p>then, after driving school if you still want to modify your car, pick out which car you are most interested in an read up about it on various online forums. You'll find out about potential problems, modifications, and performance moreso online in forums than in magazines, which typically only cater to those companies who pay for advertisements in their magazines