PDA

View Full Version : Engine types and applications

Santeno
03-09-2005, 11:39 AM
We all know that there are many varieties of engine configurations, sizes, and engine types. We have Internal combustion, electric and turbine. We have Rotaries and Piston driven. We have flat (boxer type), In-line, and any variety of angled pistons engines (from you traditional V, to W's, to circular). I'd like to start a discussion on what are the inherent characteristics of different engine types (both pro's and cons), and in what configurations are they better suited to different applications. feel free to school us please, the more info the better.<p>Have fun guys.

Smithie
03-09-2005, 03:22 PM
-Inline 6 engines inherently have a very broad torque curve.<br>-Rotary rev and rev, with not very much torque relative to hp. Very small. Terrible Fuel economy. And pre-Renisis had bad reliability and a short life span. Suited to light cars. <br>-Boxer (not flat) have an incredible exhaust note. Boxer and flat have Low center of gravity. Bad packaging.<br>-V8 have good low end torque and good hp. Suited to heavy cars.<p> On a side note: Wouldn't you think a V12 would fit sideways in a Volvo S80 as an inline 6 turbo does?<br> Kinda odd VW hasn't made a VR8 eh?

Nick
03-09-2005, 06:22 PM
GM's LS series engines are probably some of the best engines on the market...LS2 puts out 400 ponies and 400 lbs/ft and gets an average of 28 mpg and this is out of a 6.0L pushrod...I believe they also developed an LS2 with 3 valves/cylinder and it made 450 hp I believe...rev limiter hitting 6600 rpms isn't too shabby for a pushrod either...speaking of which, the LS7 has broken the record for pushrod revs on street cars at 7000 rpms...the LS engines are lightweight and very strong at that too...the LS series engines are fantastic engines and I can't wait to see what the future will bring of them...I have a feeling this may bring up a discussion about OHV vs. DOHC...let it come...I will always stand by the LS engines because in my opinion they are undoubtably the best engines ever made...

Santeno
03-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the input nick, but I was thinking more about just general engine types and configurations, not about specific engine families produced by automakers. you know, what makes one configuration better suited to different applications and why.

Nick
03-10-2005, 07:56 PM
oh ok...gotcha...maybe in a little while I will do a write-up/comparison between OHV vs. DOHC (assuming thats the type of info you want)...

Santeno
03-11-2005, 08:03 AM
sure that can be part of it.

anonms
03-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Hybrid configurations!<p>Partial/Mild Hybrids: Runs on gas and electricity simultaneously only.<br>Full Hybrids: Can run on electricity alone, gas alone, or both simultaneously.<p>- both cause an increase in curb weight due to the battery and other hybrid-related components<br>- currently used to increase fuel economy numbers, increasingly being used to increase performance without the penalty of increased fuel consumption

Superfresa
03-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Why are there no V4 Configurations? Shouldn't that save a lot of space?

Smithie
03-14-2005, 08:30 AM
There have been V4 in the past. Most memorable is the Saab V4. I think it's just a balancing problem where they can't make it run smooth. It would probably lack torque too.