PDA

View Full Version : What is Karmann's in Development/ Build of the G6 Convertibl

Bass-o-Matic
02-28-2005, 11:32 AM
I have a bet with a co-worker that the G6 Convertible is built by GM, with a top mechanism co-developed with Karmann. However, I don't know if Karmann actually developed the whole thing, builds the top module and delivers it to GM's plant or, and I seriously doubt this, builds the whole car in a secondary assembly operation...<p>Unable to find a whole lot on-line. Anybody know much detail on this?

Nick
02-28-2005, 07:42 PM
here's an article which contains some info on what you might be looking for...it is basically an article describing some engineering issues with the hardtop itself, but from what it says, the retractable hardtop is being developed by Karmann<p>Pontiac delays G6 convertible; retractable hardtop requires some re-engineering<br>ROBERT SHEREFKIN | Automotive News and JASON STEIN | Automotive News<br>Posted Date: 2/28/05<br>DETROIT -- General Motors has delayed the launch of the Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible, and engineering problems appear to be the culprit.<p>"Initially, it was supposed to start in September," says Pat Sweeney, president of UAW Local 5960 at GM's Orion Township, Mich., assembly plant, where the G6 is built. "But that was pushed back a few months until sometime in January."<p>Sweeney declined to discuss what caused the delay. A supplier familiar with the project says GM is having trouble building a retractable hardtop on a unibody vehicle.<p>But GM spokesman Stefan Weinmann insisted that GM had always planned to launch the vehicle in January.<p>"We announced at the L.A. auto show that we would produce the vehicle in early 2006," Weinmann said. "That is still the case. Nothing has changed."<p>The G6 must be re-engineered because it was not originally designed to be an open-air vehicle, the supplier says. The convertible needs a stiffened underbody, and the interior must be redesigned to store the hardtop.<p>These engineering problems led GM to delay the vehicle's launch by 14 weeks, the supplier said.<p>Karmann USA Inc. of Plymouth, Mich., will supply the hardtops.<p>Pontiac had planned to bring out the G6 in waves. The sedan debuted last year; a coupe is due this summer, followed by the convertible.

Bass-o-Matic
03-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks. I ended up finding that article. Not alot out there on this program.<p>

Nick
03-04-2005, 03:10 PM
nah, not too much...and as it turns out, that article isn't really true anyways...but Karmann is producing the hardtops...